See the Phat Guy Play

Problems, how to get them, favorite songs to play, groupies, funky bar owners, etc. NO names of clubs, please.

Re: See the Phat Guy Play

Postby bluesfyre » Wed Dec 19, 2007 3:18 am

This is what music is really for, having fun with your friends. :-)
bluesfyre
Regular

Postby jeffl » Wed Dec 19, 2007 3:18 pm

At last nite's jam the guys decided to take the club owner's invite to play down there once a month. That's a little more than I would like, but it'll probably be fun anyway. We've gotten a little lazy about workin' on our original stuff the last few months, and even lazy about workin' in some new tunes, so maybe this added energy comin' in from playin' out will get us movin' a little bit. Now the big discussion seems to be about what to do with the money...we've never had to deal with much money before, so it wuz easy to give it to the food shelf or the historical society, but we're thinkin' about havin' the night promoted as a benefit night and we'll pass the hat and maybe the public will like that idea.
jeffl
Contributor
Contributor

Postby bluejay » Wed Dec 19, 2007 5:49 pm

jeffl wrote:Bluejay, you'd love that guy's club. It's very much the loungy, warm joint. ... I think it's gonna be a good venue for small acts and acoustic stuff. It's very artsy and should draw people that will actually listen to the music, if it's worthy.

Would he let me and the missus read our poetry? That's the real test for artsy. 8)
bluejay
Regular

Postby jeffl » Wed Dec 19, 2007 7:04 pm

Bluejay, he already hosts poetry readings and book signings. You have the necessary credentials anyway: you're a college professor with a literary background; you own a sailboat, you know Finns, and you drink beer.
jeffl
Contributor
Contributor

Postby bluejay » Wed Dec 19, 2007 8:06 pm

Guilty on all counts! :wink: We'll have to visit for an open mic or something.

BTW, speaking of sailing, Bubba, here's the link to the slideshow my skipper put together of our summer fun -- the note at the end is for real, she got personal permission from Jorma to use the music!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=spB1ns4AD7E
bluejay
Regular

Postby jeffl » Wed Dec 19, 2007 8:56 pm

Rhino, I like the fadeaway shot at the end. Very nice collage (or whatever you call it). BTW, do you get boat fever around Christmas time...? I do. I've bought a couple boats at Christmas just to get me through the winter,lol! Life is good,bro'. Personally, I feel very fortunate to have a good bunch of people to play regularly with, without the strain of gettin' ready for gigs all the time. I doubt that I'll go back to giggin' until after I retire; giggin' even twice a week is alotta work, with rehearsals. This little club may be a nice place to call a second jammin' home for a while, and it gives our host's wife at least one week a month where she doesn't have a buncha guys in her house, smokin' up the place and drinkin' and playin' loud. It's gonna be interesting to see how it all plays out.
jeffl
Contributor
Contributor

Postby bluejay » Wed Dec 19, 2007 10:24 pm

I haven't had time for any boat fever this fall. It has been one heck of a semester. We were thinking about going to Strictly Sail boat show in Chicago at the start of February -- that gets sailors worked up. But I'll have just gotten back a couple weeks prior from a trip to Germany,* and we are thinking the $$$ spent in Chicago could be better used on a spring break trip somewhere warmer, such as Memphis for some blues and BBQ.

* Here's my tour guide demonstrating what we'll be doing in Germany.

bluejay
Regular

Postby jeffl » Wed Dec 19, 2007 10:38 pm

That pic makes me wanna grab a mando and pick out that old Townes van Zandt tune, "Fraulein",lol! Nothin' like a good cold beer (even if the Germans DO drink it lukewarm); sometimes I get a hankerin' when I see one of those semi trailers haulin' beer down the road with a 10 foot tall picture of a mug of beer with suds sloppin' over the side. THAT'S my idea of an RV.
jeffl
Contributor
Contributor

Postby stumblin » Thu Dec 20, 2007 8:00 am

jeffl wrote:"Fraulein",lol! Nothin' like a good cold beer (even if the Germans DO drink it lukewarm)

I wasn't aware that the Germans had that reputation. The Brits are popularly misconceived as a nation of warm beer drinkers (it's true in a way; we'll drink owt), but this is the first time I've heard it said of the Germans. Where did you pick up that snippet, Bubba?
Nice jam session, by the way, I enjoyed that :)
stumblin
Regular

Postby jeffl » Thu Dec 20, 2007 12:40 pm

Thanks Andy. I'd heard about the Germans supposed propensity for quashing "warm" beer a number of times, but primarily from a guy I've worked with for about 15 years who did a couple years stint at Ramstein Air Base in Germany. In another instance my father-in-law hosted some high school aged kids who were in a concert band from Germany that was touring the U.S.; they were all bunked up in his attic and one evening he went up there to check on 'em and they had popped open a suitcase full of beer they had loaded up for the situation. Now maybe they drank it warm because they were kids and were used to stashing it... I dunno.
jeffl
Contributor
Contributor

Postby bluejay » Thu Dec 20, 2007 1:50 pm

I now see it as my duty to the BRB community to make a first-hand inspection of German beer-drinking habits, in depth, and report back (to the best of my memory... :wink: ) what I discover.

Then, Bubba, I will have to come over to one of your jam sessions at that cozy tavern and make a first hand comparison with American habits -- all for the cause of anthropological research, of course. 8)
bluejay
Regular

Postby jeffl » Thu Dec 20, 2007 8:04 pm

Yer a truly dedicated academic, Bluejay me bucko. Aaargh!
jeffl
Contributor
Contributor

Previous

Return to About Gigs