Etiquete question

Problems, how to get them, favorite songs to play, groupies, funky bar owners, etc. NO names of clubs, please.

Postby Pickin'4memories » Fri Nov 23, 2007 4:09 am

I've used far worse than tables for a substitute stand before-I've handed my guitar to complete strangers and then turned away to fiddle with my amp at a party before, as long as it dont get dropped long distances and smashed into anything its a fine substitute for me, (though i dont own anything nearly as expensive as a CS Strat, also.) But definately there should always to be a solid rythm section. If at all possible i try my best to get my good friend the all acoustic-jam-man big Rog to play some solid rythm with me, that way, not only do i get another guitar to play off at my jams, but that way if one of us takes a solo no rhythm is sacrificed. helps alot, i think. I usually dont have a drummer but i always try to keep several guuitars and a bass in a group at a time to insure good groove.
Pickin'4memories
Regular

Postby gcd revue » Thu Dec 13, 2007 5:29 pm

Doesn't matter what else you have or don't have, as long as you're RIGHT on RHYTHM. Most audiences have tin ears. If something else is a little off, they probably won't notice -- so you can work on it for next time. Building a band should be done from the BACK. Start with drummer and bass player...make sure they fit the style, AND can work together (ego scuffles between these two will wreck a performance quicker than ANYTHING else). Live sound is tough. Varies with every different room, and there will always be things you just can't fix. If someone asks, I'll let 'em know if the mix is off. Otherwise, I keep my opinions to myself. If they suck, it may just be a bad night. I've had a couple REALLY bad shows when we were shopping for a bass player. We ended up with a really BAD one for a couple shows (he was FINE in rehearsal). Loved the nose candy, and had an attitude from hell. If we played a song, and he didn't like the arrangement, he'd just sit on his amp and make rude comments instead of playing. Makes it hard to get in the groove. So, if the mix is way out, let 'em know. Can't always tell from the stage. Otherwise, let 'em do their thing.
gcd revue
Regular

Previous

Return to About Gigs