MY JAM GROUP'S PLAYIN' OUT FOR THE FIRST TIME

Problems, how to get them, favorite songs to play, groupies, funky bar owners, etc. NO names of clubs, please.

MY JAM GROUP'S PLAYIN' OUT FOR THE FIRST TIME

Postby jeffl » Mon Oct 22, 2007 10:55 pm

This should be interesting,lol! For some reason, one of our guys booked us a job at a bar across the river from where we meet to jam. The last jam bunch I played with (for about a dozen years) used to go into freak mode when we'd schedule a gig--which we did about 3 times/yr. We could never agree on set lists, and whose originals we would play,etc. This current bunch consists of 4 guys who used to jam with the old bunch before it got too large and unruly and split into two jams. I got a feeling that the guy who landed the gig will be the guy freakin' this time, 'cuz he's got high standards and we haven't groomed this bunch as a giggin' outfit. I would guess we should do fine, but I don't get the point. It's in Minnesota, so there'll be no smokin' indoors, which cures one of my biggest problems with playin' bars. The other downside to this is that we'll have to take breaks to go outside and take our medicines,lol, instead of stayin' right in the house and pluggin' away all nite. Question: why do guys feel like they gotta book gigs...? Is it the need to validate how good you are, or is it just to get the pleasure of playin' for a few folks, or is it to buy yourself a favor with the club owner for a later date....?
Last edited by jeffl on Wed Oct 24, 2007 2:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jeffl
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Pickin'4memories » Tue Oct 23, 2007 11:40 pm

I've yet to ever have a paying gig, the dudes I jam with have played at a couple of parties we've attended for free, and that's about all the non-jamming we've done so far. But, to answer you're question, it WAS a hell of alot of fun to play for a few people.
Pickin'4memories
Regular

Postby bosco » Wed Oct 24, 2007 5:12 am

Is it the need to validate how good you are?

I believe that's a big part of it. Also after much effort and investment of time, it's just human nature to want to share and display the product a/o fruits of one's labor.

No worries, Bubba. Y'all will be fine!

Bosco
bosco
Contributor
Contributor

Postby jeffl » Wed Oct 24, 2007 2:26 pm

I'm not worried about how we come across...I've stunk up gigs at alot better places than "Ed's Bar",lol. And,really, I expect us to play well, 'cuz we've kinda hit a good groove in the last few months. Even though I consider this gig to be a minor irritation, I guess I'll jus' get my attitude fixed before next week and focus on playin' well and havin' a good time. It may have already had an impact, 'cuz I found myself concentratin' a little more on the music last nite, and pushin' myself a little on the harp, as far as my phrasing,rhythms,dynamics,etc.
jeffl
Contributor
Contributor

Postby tim3finger » Wed Oct 24, 2007 3:49 pm

I definitely know how you feel. Couple of years ago my friends/jamming buddies put together a band. Great fun, but much more work. We starting playing at nursing homes, cause we love sharing our music with people that don't get much happiness in their lives. Then we started doing Church concerts, then small town street festivals, then audutioning for a Western style supper club. Our need to practice, logistics/scheduling, and equipment collection has grown exponentially.

I, like you, miss the simpler times, just playing for pure fun and love of music, with good friends. But, gigging has its rewards too. You share your music, and get lots of warm fuzzies by playing out. Ego does enter in to it, that's part of being a musician. You'll do great on your gig, just keep focused on playing your music and having fun. Cause if we ain't having fun, we might as well quit playing.

Tim
tim3finger
Regular

Postby jeffl » Wed Oct 24, 2007 4:16 pm

Well, I'd be shocked if any of these guys decide that they wanna start gigging; I don't think anybody's talked about doin' that. I wouldn't mind doin' a two man standup gig occasionally with one of the guitar player/singers, 'cuz there can be some money in that and I've always enjoyed duos and trios as well as bands; but, as far as giggin' with this outfit, I can't see it happenin'. I jus' looked at this gig as movin' to a different venue for one night, and it's a venue that doesn't offer the flexibility of playin' in our host's house. No big deal.
jeffl
Contributor
Contributor

Postby jeffl » Wed Oct 31, 2007 4:43 pm

Wow, the club we played last night was one of the funnest times I've had in a long time! It was a small club, restored to its 1850's heritage, and was set up in a very intimate, loungy type of seating arrangement. Other than one nice long antique bar, the seating was dominated by couches,settees,uphostered chairs,etc. The walls were nearly completely covered with framed art,mostly pastels, and the feeling was warm. We played acoustic,with no PA or amps, even though we used drums and bass. There was lounge seating around the band, so part of the crowd was real close and the interplay was great. They had a great piano up there too.. a beautiful old axe that was tuned perfectly and had that great loose honky tonk action, perfect for a little blues, so I started the night by sittin' down on that thing and gettin' the band warmed up. The best part was that we got hoppin' and tore the joint down..the band played as good as I've ever heard 'em. I bet we'll do that again, 'cuz I talked to the owner and he loved it, and I know the band had more fun than we had even anticipated.
jeffl
Contributor
Contributor

Postby bluejay » Wed Oct 31, 2007 10:05 pm

Great news, Bubba! Sounds like a really cool spot to hang out and have a couple drinks, too. Glad it's got you jazzed.
bluejay
Regular

Postby 1four5 » Thu Nov 01, 2007 1:24 am

That sounds like a blast...and I bet you can't wait to do it again. Wish I coulda been there lounging on a couch shooting whiskey 8) I'm with Tim3finger (litteraly...in his band)...fun times (especially beyond expectations) make all the work worth it 8) Congratulations Jeff!
1four5
Regular

Postby jeffl » Tue Dec 04, 2007 6:10 pm

Pretty funny... when we played at that little bar, one of the things everybody liked is that we ran it just like our jam: no set lists, just the normal "Who's got one?", or jus' jumpin' in on tunes. Well, we're playin' there again next week, so last week, I started jokin' around about workin' up a dress code for the gig, and goin' amplified for a change (totally unnecessary for this postage-stamp sized club), and workin' on some clean intros,etc.; Well, before that nite was done, they were deciding on tunes we'd play, and arranging for one of the guys to bring his shock mounted condensor mic, and a few other details,lol! I guess I'll take my little 5-wt. Epi to blow harp through so I don't have to huddle up to the mic circle. I've got this picture of 7-8 guys in a circle, lookin' like a brood of piglets suckin' away,lol!
jeffl
Contributor
Contributor

Postby jeffl » Fri Dec 07, 2007 10:58 pm

Well the jam bunch came out from under the ether and decided to go totally acoustic, which is great news. The club owner's original idea was to just introduce his clientele to the experience of an acoustic jam, since not very many people get to experience one. This jam bunch is as good as almost any band I've ever been in, largely due to the fact that there are several experienced lights-out musicians in it, and we play every week for hours, and we're constantly introducing new music--both originals and covers. I think it's good for people to see that music can be delivered in a very casual, non-structured way, and that it can rock yer ass off that way, and the musicianship comes out...it's not about gettin' people dancin'...it's about showcasin' the music, and to some extent, the musicians. It reminds me alot of the "unplugged" MTV series, where people are loungin' around and the whole thing's more intimate. I've invited a few friends to the one next Tuesday, 'cuz I think, like Bluejay sez, that it'll be a good time to hang out and drink some beer.
jeffl
Contributor
Contributor

Postby jeffl » Wed Dec 12, 2007 11:50 pm

Last nite at the club was fun again. We played alotta rock,blues, and folk. I primarily instigated the blues with the piano again. The only record of it came from somebody's video camera : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zRSGuJxaD6A Check out the tub fiddle. I'm on harp.
jeffl
Contributor
Contributor

Return to About Gigs