Blues? Bluegrass? Country Blues? Or is it just music.

Problems, how to get them, favorite songs to play, groupies, funky bar owners, etc. NO names of clubs, please.

Blues? Bluegrass? Country Blues? Or is it just music.

Postby stratman_27 » Sat Dec 08, 2007 1:29 am

I find myself in a unique position that I'm playing music that I love and other people are really digging it. I'm playing solo (busking), with a duo (Tuckahoe) guitar, bass, harp, duo thing, and starting a saturday morning jam with some bluegrass guys. I keep seeing the same people that are there because they like what I'm doing not just blue or bluegrass or classic rock stuff. They like the way I play and sing. It not a huge crowd but they seem pretty loyal.

At this point in my life I have a full time job and have the ultimate gig. I'm the Dad with two boys. but I'm allowed to play music when I can in both private and in public and my family supports it and even participates. I receive little or no money from playing and it doesnt matter to me in the least. Its kinda like community service of a sort. People entertain themselves watching you do what you love to do.

Every Day I have the Blues
stratman_27
Regular

Postby stratman_27 » Sun Dec 09, 2007 2:38 am

Played a 4 hour jam with some semi and pro bluegrass players today. Same coffeehouse as my duo played 2 weeks ago. I'm hosting a monthly jam now. The week after Christmas, I'm going to host an open mic every other week. I have an open invitation to show up pretty much any time I want to busk. An indoor busking location that has traffic and is warm and smells nice. Its a dream come true. I've written like 3 songs this week. Things are going good for stratman I still miss playing electric with a band though but playing stripped down folk and blues kicks ass.
stratman_27
Regular

Postby mnozzolio » Sun Dec 09, 2007 10:28 am

Congrats on the new gigs. They sound like they'l be fun. One thing about music - the more you play, the more opportunities present themselves.

As for the blues-country-bluegrass mix that you're encountering -- I come from a bluegrass/country background. In playing solo, I take those songs that I know and they come out bluesy -- Hank Sr,. Jimmy Martin, old Stanley Bros., etc. It's very interesting to find all of the connections and variations of "Sitting on Top of World" or even "John Hardy."
mnozzolio
Regular

Postby allanlummox » Sun Dec 09, 2007 10:59 am

Sounds like a great situation.
allanlummox
Contributor
Contributor

Postby jeffl » Sun Dec 09, 2007 12:30 pm

Way to go, Stratman! It's nice when the new tunes start comin' too; I'm glad to hear that you're writin'.
jeffl
Contributor
Contributor

Postby stratman_27 » Sun Dec 09, 2007 2:42 pm

I know what you say about those songs coming out bluesy. Its just like my partners interpretation of anything comes out bluegrass. Mine comes out bluesy. The lead guitar player yesterday is a seasoned super traditional hardcore bluegrass flatpicker. He and I were side by side yesterday and after I played a little lead on my roundneck on Blue Virginia Blue, he let me know " Man I hear that Delta in your guitar. Sounds good" I'm currently in the process of mastering the recording from yesterday I'm sure some of it will end up on my myspace team.
stratman_27
Regular

Postby maxx england » Mon Dec 10, 2007 4:20 pm

Clive wanted me to do a number i didn't know (Move it on over), we tried it out and it came out country despite the only version he's heard being George Thorogood. Saw the CD, composer credit is a Mr Hank Williams. Seems like some things just play themselves.
maxx england
Contributor
Contributor

Postby dcblues » Mon Dec 10, 2007 4:39 pm

I used to be in an acoustic trio that covered Blind Blake's "Diddie Wah Diddie." Sometimes we would go into "Move it on Over" from there and back to Blake. That was always a fun couple of songs to play.
dcblues
Contributor
Contributor

Postby jeffl » Mon Dec 10, 2007 5:26 pm

dcblues wrote:I used to be in an acoustic trio that covered Blind Blake's "Diddie Wah Diddie." Sometimes we would go into "Move it on Over" from there and back to Blake. That was always a fun couple of songs to play.
I think some of that stuff originally happens accidentally. I know our jam bunch occasionally starts out on one song and ends up on another 'cuz somebody moved from a lick that both songs shared into the different tune. Last weekend I heard it happen to a veteran blues band; it took the lead singer about 24 bars to realize that the guitar player was startin' a different tune than the singer thought it was. (How'd ya' like to be a John Lee Hooker cover band...?)
jeffl
Contributor
Contributor

Postby stumblin » Mon Dec 10, 2007 5:34 pm

We have a regular punter, a friend of ours, whose opening conversational gambit went something like: "What kind of music is that you're playing?"
"Blues." One of us replied.
"Is it bluegrass?" Was his next question. I don't think he'd heard anything other than electric pub-blues-rock under the banner of "Blues" before.
Anyhoo, he came along with us to see Honeyboy earlier this year, that dispelled any misunderstandings.
stumblin
Regular

Return to About Gigs