Converting an unbeliever

A forum devoted to the discussion of playing bass with the blues.

Converting an unbeliever

Postby maxx england » Sat Dec 08, 2007 12:28 pm

Me and Clive have a tame bass player knocking around, called Moss. He's played in various bands, including prog rock. Can anyone guide me to free bass tab sites outside of Bassmasta and 911 with a good range of blues? Particularly we need Jimmy Reed, Elmore etc. Most of the sites only know Clapton, Stones, BB.

And are there any bands where the bass player is given a wider range/freer hand than conventionally? We need to show him there's more than counting 1-2-3-4 and going boing occasionally (well, that's how he thinks of a lot of it).
maxx england
Contributor
Contributor

Postby grumpygroo » Sat Dec 08, 2007 2:42 pm

grumpygroo
Regular

Postby grumpygroo » Mon Dec 10, 2007 8:59 am

Oops!, sorry Maxx. While the site's still there all the tabs have been removed because of copyright considerations. :cry:
grumpygroo
Regular

Postby maxx england » Mon Dec 10, 2007 4:16 pm

There are some shortsighted people around - discourage musicians one day and then complain there's no one new coming up the next. And they can try and sell us tab all they like, but it won't work; we're musicians and we just don't have any money.
maxx england
Contributor
Contributor

Postby bosco » Tue Dec 11, 2007 12:54 pm

we're musicians and we just don't have any money.

Yep. The term "starving artist" doesn't just apply to folks who dabble with paint.
bosco
Contributor
Contributor

Postby grumpygroo » Tue Dec 11, 2007 9:44 pm

[/quote]we're musicians and we just don't have any money.[quote]

Aw, come on, you surely didn't pick up an instrument with the intention of making money? It would be nice to make a bit now and then though.

I must say I often wonder about the value of tab. I always find that something I work out for myself stays with me longer, I can improvise and work round the tune better and all in all I'm just a lot happier playing it than if I used tab. However, when I just cannot find a way into a tune that's when tab is very useful.
grumpygroo
Regular

Postby maxx england » Wed Dec 12, 2007 8:08 pm

Moss is reviving his little grey cells and his dot reading by using tab as a sort of Rosetta Stone, helps him anyway. Personally, I can't read dots and tab irritates the life out of me.
maxx england
Contributor
Contributor

Postby grumpygroo » Thu Dec 13, 2007 8:05 pm

No, I don't read the dots either. When you use tab you're basically trying to play something the way someone else hears it, not necessarily the way you hear it. Tab is good for finding a way in, but once you're in use your own ears.

I always understood reading music was like riding a bike, once you've done it you never forget. Or so I am told by a part time concert pianist/violinist I work with. She is classically trained and I suggested once that we tried a fiddle and banjo duet together. I suggested Old Joe Clark, very well know old time tune, she said she knew. However, when it came down to it, she wouldn't even rosin up her bow unless she had the music in front of her, even though she knew the tune, weird. After that experience I've always resisted learning to read music and trust to my ears.
grumpygroo
Regular

Re: Converting an unbeliever

Postby maxx england » Sat Dec 15, 2007 10:36 am

It's a bit of a severe thing to say, but it seems to me that many dot readers I have met have an almost autistic aversion to any change in the routine or improvisation, even when they can play numbers without dots. Odd, that.
maxx england
Contributor
Contributor

Re:

Postby 601blues » Sat Dec 15, 2007 12:16 pm

maxx england wrote:Moss is reviving his little grey cells and his dot reading by using tab as a sort of Rosetta Stone, helps him anyway. Personally, I can't read dots and tab irritates the life out of me.

:roll: Man Dats too much like readin directions!!and I never Read Directions! Or Maps,or ask Fo directions!! I do get lost sometimes But always get were I wanna Be!!
601blues
Regular

Postby godinguy » Sun Jan 13, 2008 6:37 am

HI.
Here's a nice tab site (Canadian too). It has Blind Lemon Jefferson, James Elmore, etc. Names are a bit mixed at times (surname first, surname last). I guess the list provider couldn't figure out some of those old time names, and which bit was the surname. Anyway, go here http://www.beavertabs.com/app/tabs
Just hope those music industry retards don't find this one too soon.
Cheers.
godinguy
Regular

Postby maxx england » Mon Jan 14, 2008 10:46 am

Excellent, will return to it, lots of good stuff in there.
maxx england
Contributor
Contributor

Postby mike932 » Tue Jan 15, 2008 5:51 am

Not sure if this will help you, but it helped me. Tommy Shannon, the bass player for Stevie Ray Vaughn has written numerous articles on playing Blues bass. His approach is simple and makes it easy for a bass player to get creative. The articles are in Bass player magazine. The other approach to playing bass is to learn the Nashville system. I have played in a couple of gigs where I did not know the songs, one of the members of the band would hold up his hand signaling which chord was coming up. I do not like tabs, I have used them but they take away the fun in learning to play music. The book, Building Walking bass lines concentrates on the Blues and it is easy to understand. Hope this helps.
mike932
Regular

Postby bigdaddy » Wed Jan 16, 2008 12:28 am

I'll look at a tab if they're any good just to see how some one else thinks the song sounds but in the end I will listen to the song and play it the way I hear it. The Stones "Honky Tonk Woman" is on the radio right now. We cover that song but my bass lines are alot different than the way the Stones play. We are a three piece so I can add more melody to the bottom end while Skinny lays the top end out. It sounds close to the Stones but only in a reflective sense. Same thing with Sweet Home Alabama, and others, I play them the way I hear them. My bass line on "Call Me The Breeze" isn't even close to Skynard but I get the people dancing with my version. I learn those songs and the others we cover pretty close to the original and then I play it my way. I don't want to worry if I'm playing it right so I play it the way my brain hears it, it's free and easy. I listen to Skinny real closely to see what he's doing and to get a clue about where he's going. Alot of the Hendrix tunes we'll just lay down a ten minute or so jam in the middle then bring the song back into the original way it's played and end it. Some times the jam is very bluesy, some times very jazzy and some times it just rocks out and now and again we touch all three.Each night the song is a little different but it jams. The bass is such a great instrument. Skinny will start a song off and then me and the drummer will join in and it's then that the people get off their butts and head for the dance floor. I love the blues bassed songs. We play some good SRV. I love it. To do it and even get paid, wow!
bigdaddy
Regular

Postby alabubba » Sun Jan 20, 2008 6:16 am

I find it better just to listen to songs, understand the chord progression and structure of intro, verse, chorus, etc. and then just try to move in a good way between the chords, trying to set up a cool groove to make the music (and most importantly the girl's booties) bounce, and usually putting a simple call/response in my bass line. When the dancers are having fun, I know I'm doing ok. :lol:
alabubba
Regular

Next

Return to Bass - Meet Me At The Bottom