Login troubles

Ideas, likes, dislikes, recommendations, and opinions regarding the Big Road Blues web site and forums.

Login troubles

Postby rustyslide » Mon Nov 26, 2007 2:05 pm

Some folks have complained that their first login attempt doesn't take, and that they have to log in twice.

Anyone noticing this? does hitting reload after the first (apparently ignored) attempt help?
rustyslide
Site Admin

Postby bosco » Mon Nov 26, 2007 2:28 pm

I just logged in and out several times and the reload doesn't seem to make any difference. I just logged back in and it was accepted. When I clicked on the reply button to this thread, it went back to log in window again and told me I needed to log in to make a post.

Interestingly, the same thing happens when I try to log out. I get a "General Error" window that says "Invalid_Session." Usually after two or three attempts it will let me log out.

I use Adware on a regular basis to remove spybots, data miners and tracking programs. Could this be eliminating cookies that are necessary for log in/log out?

Bosco
bosco
Contributor
Contributor

Postby rustyslide » Mon Nov 26, 2007 3:27 pm

There should be two cookies, I think, one to track the current session and one for remembering that you were logged in.
rustyslide
Site Admin

Postby jeffl » Mon Nov 26, 2007 3:29 pm

Well I encountered the login problem this morning again, and HAVE been encountering it. I'd like to figure out how get it back to where it was-- working properly.
jeffl
Contributor
Contributor

Postby rustyslide » Mon Nov 26, 2007 4:02 pm

I'm not sure it's anything on your end.

Are you using bigroadblues.com/forum when you start? or brb.lonelyfridge.com/forum?
rustyslide
Site Admin

Postby jeffl » Mon Nov 26, 2007 4:35 pm

I've used 'em both, trying to isolate the issue. The results seem to be the same either way, but I'll go back and try the lonelyfridge url.
jeffl
Contributor
Contributor

Postby jeffl » Mon Nov 26, 2007 4:39 pm

It works -- or doesn't work -- either way; It requires two login attempts to get it to stick and it wipes out the "recent posts" feature, which I assume occurs because of the second login: it assumes you just logged in a second ago. So, it seems to know that you made the first attempt, and in some way the first attempt must be successful or it wouldn't wipe out the recent posts.
jeffl
Contributor
Contributor

Postby songdog » Tue Nov 27, 2007 1:38 am

Mine hasn't worked for several months. I check the remember me box and it doesn't automatically log me in when I come back either. I thought maybe one of my browser settings got changed when I moved but it appears that others are having the same trouble.
songdog
Contributor
Contributor

Postby jeffl » Tue Nov 27, 2007 1:47 am

maybe somebody should try a fresh membership enrollment with a different email address and see how it works. At least we'd know if it's just a problem with previous users.
jeffl
Contributor
Contributor

Postby leftyguitarman » Wed Nov 28, 2007 5:01 am

Could using Firefox have to do with it at all? I never use IE, only FF.
leftyguitarman
Regular

Postby raiph » Wed Nov 28, 2007 9:57 am

For me, a "logged-in" page loads, momentarily, and then it resolves to an unlogged-in page.

A second log-in attempt is successful, but, of course, the "posts since last visit" has reset to zero.

That raises a suggestion: in days of yore, posts were not automatically marked as "read"; instead a "mark all as read" button was available and all posts remained listed until this button was clicked. Such a feature would be very useful, especially in circumstance where logging in were to fail.

Having to log in again to post a reply is an intermittent fault I have experienced for some months.

I never use FF, only IE.
raiph
Regular

Postby rustyslide » Wed Nov 28, 2007 4:18 pm

I got the problem at work this morning. It doesn't appear to be browser specific.
rustyslide
Site Admin

Postby songdog » Wed Nov 28, 2007 8:37 pm

As I recall, everything seemed to be working fine for me until the August/September timeframe. Maybe there was an update, change, patch, etc. installed around then that has created the login problems.
songdog
Contributor
Contributor

Postby raiph » Thu Nov 29, 2007 8:49 am

Seems sorted. Murky buckets!
raiph
Regular

Postby raiph » Thu Nov 29, 2007 11:13 am

No it's not - it's doing it again.

Mairder!
raiph
Regular