Etiquete question

Problems, how to get them, favorite songs to play, groupies, funky bar owners, etc. NO names of clubs, please.

Etiquete question

Postby blueswrench » Tue Nov 20, 2007 3:25 am

Saw a local band Sat nite for the first time. Started talking to bass and guitar player after they were set up just talking equiptment and so forth. After the first set guitar player wants my opinion on how they sound. How truthful do you get? I kinda took it easy on him and told him they sounded pretty good. I didn't have the heart to tell him his solos sounded like a sack of cats going thru a hay baler :( I guess I should have realized what I was in for when guitar dude spent 15 minutes bragging about his "custom shop" strat but couldn't spring for a 10 dollar guitar stand! He would lay it on the floor or on an empty table between sets :shock: :shock: Ok, rant over. just wanted some feedback if anyone has been in similar situation
blueswrench
Regular

Postby 601blues » Tue Nov 20, 2007 1:27 pm

:shock: Ive seen so many bands, that have depended solely on a guitar player that knows a few lead licks, Its like this ,My Baby left me!!followed by 10 mins of screamin lead that makes no sense at all, 2nd line, FO ANOTHER MAN, another 10 mins of screamin lead, its like that every song! NO rythem sec just based on that lead guitar, Its sad really, If I had ta choose I would drop any lead guitar for a solid rythem sec. any day, with out that your dead in the water, As far as a guitar stand, Ive been know ta use an empty table cuz I fergot ta bring a stand!!DUH!!ya fergit dem small items sometimes, and other times Iam just to lazy!
GIVE ME RYTHEM or GIVE ME DEATH!!
Ive really gained a great respect for vocals and rythem sections the last few years, It takes a great effort to nail a solid rythem and vocal section,with background and support vocals, this is what makes a band, not a lead guitar, however the guitar can add a lotta spice and really bring the tune to blossum ,if done is a tasteful manner, 90% of the time the only one that enjoys the ramblin of a Lead guitar is the player himself !! jus my 2 cents
Yup! we all have heard about custom guitars, But the truth is, our fore fathers made music history on dime store instruments and sometimes guitars made at home, If you have the abilty it don't make a ratz azz what you pick up, if you can tune it, you will rock da house, Hey I love nice guitars, but it don't make it any easier to play!!Thats up to you, ya can't buy that at the GC,
601blues
Regular

Postby maxx england » Tue Nov 20, 2007 2:09 pm

I'm with you, been at gigs where 2 Superstars were trying to blow each other off the stage, all they did was blow the audience out of the door.

My partner-in-crime, Clive, particularly when he's new to a song, will come in a beat early with the voice sometimes, and as the rhythm half of it, I've found that being good, solid, square on and banging that first beat good and hard helps him get his bearings again.

Another thing I've found is that laying a groove down that gets girlies dancing has far more effect on how the numbers go down than trying to blow peoples' doors off with ego tripping vanity.
maxx england
Contributor
Contributor

Postby stumblin » Tue Nov 20, 2007 2:13 pm

Amen to all of the above.
One thing though. Just how exactly is this "off topic"? Should have gone in "About Gigs", or "Talking Blues".
stumblin
Regular

Postby maxx england » Tue Nov 20, 2007 2:20 pm

Ah, you misunderstand. This isn't Off The Topic, this is Off The Off The Topic.
maxx england
Contributor
Contributor

Postby ricochet » Tue Nov 20, 2007 2:36 pm

I agree with 601 about rhythm vs. lead. Great lead playing done tastefully and moderately can add to a great song, but if you leave it out it still sounds great.

As for the question, if the situation were reversed, how would you want to be talked to? I think I'd try to find something to say something nice about, especially since the show was still going on.
ricochet
Regular

Postby allanlummox » Tue Nov 20, 2007 2:49 pm

I'll always give my opinion about the sound in the room, if asked.

And I'll compliment a good performance.

But if the show sucks, I'll keep my mouth shut. Make myself scarce.
allanlummox
Contributor
Contributor

Postby maxx england » Tue Nov 20, 2007 2:50 pm

Ah just lurves yo bedside manner, Doc! (Tha can understand that all reet, can't tha?)
maxx england
Contributor
Contributor

Postby 601blues » Tue Nov 20, 2007 3:06 pm

:shock: Most of the time I just leave,I don't say anything, It really does no good, most have an attitude and it won't sink in, I was that way myself ,its sometin that comes with time and experience, I was working with a young Band as an advisor a couple years back ,one member was a student of mine at the request of his father which was a good friend,anyway, he worked hard and put together this decent band, However after a while they did not listen to anything I said ,they knew better, so the student thought he was smarter then the teacher, so I bowed out, sometime you gotta let em learn on there own, So If I don't have somphin nice ta say I go away
601blues
Regular

Postby 1four5 » Tue Nov 20, 2007 3:21 pm

I have only been playing with a band for a little over two years, so I'm really green. I want the truth. After our first song in every set, our lead singer/guitarist always asks the audience if we need to make any changes in volume/instruments/vocals and we ALWAY appreciate an honest assesment of our mix and will adjust. If people try to be nice, even if they don't like something, that just means they will have to put up with it for the next hour.
1four5
Regular

Postby 601blues » Tue Nov 20, 2007 4:23 pm

:shock: Sometimes ya don't need ta ask, signs your to loud is easy ta see,
1. if people have there hands or fingers over there ears,!!your to loud!!
2. watch the bar tender if he or she has to get ta where the customer is yellin direct it there ear while leaning across the bar to each other, guess what???yup!! your too LOUD!
3. people are crowdin to the farest corner! maybe too loud, or check your arm deordant!!
4. They are usin cigs for ear plugs!!I bet ya a dollar yer too loud!!
5. You are doin an unplugged set, you know your not too loud,and the above happens, then you know ya suck!!
6. people run to the tip jar between songs ???you don't suck but ya may be a little loud!!
Jus learn ta read da crowd. no need ta ask!!HAHAHAH!
7. The worst!! the drummer wants ta mic,all his drums!!! GO HOME!!
601blues
Regular

Postby jeffl » Tue Nov 20, 2007 4:46 pm

I don't like being asked by relative strangers how the sound is. If I'm listening to some buddies play, and they ask me, I'll give them my assessment. I tend not to be too critical of the first part of the first set, 'cuz with these bands around here that don't rehearse much, it frequently takes part of the first set to settle in--they rarely hit the ground running. AND, there's often extenuating circumstances, so I try not to make any criticism sound personal. I went to an outdoor concert a few years back to catch Leon Russell, and the opening act had the sound perfect; when Russell came on, the sound turned to mud. I knew the guy leasing the sound equipment to the venue, so I went down to the board to put a bug in his ear, and he told me that his own guys ran the board for the opening act, but Russell's guy took over for his set and didn't know the equipment as well. I also try to remember that some of the older veterans have become pretty deaf over the years and haven't realized that they should be trusting some outside help, or lettin' somebody else in their band call the shots.
jeffl
Contributor
Contributor

Postby jellyroll baker » Wed Nov 21, 2007 1:34 pm

601blues wrote::shock: Sometimes ya don't need ta ask, signs your
7. The worst!! the drummer wants ta mic,all his drums!!! GO HOME!!

Hell yeah! Just as bad is the drummer who gets real fussy about micing his kick and toms and ignores his snare and hi-hat.
jellyroll baker
Contributor
Contributor

Postby bosco » Thu Nov 22, 2007 1:24 pm

I don't like being asked by relative strangers how the sound is

On the flip side of that, I don't like asking relative strangers about our sound. Everyone has a different opinion of what sounds best; guitarists, of course, like more guitar; singers like the vocals way up in the mix; some folks just don't know squat about live music and almost everyone has trouble articulating what they are trying to convey in musical terms..

If I see another musician in the room whose opinion I value, I'll ask about the balance. Mostly though, we rely on the band wives. They've heard us rehearse and perform hundreds of times and are best suited to detect if something is out of whack no matter the venue.

Bosco

PS- Did this thread get moved? Last time I checked, this was the "About Gigs" forum Stumbles.
bosco
Contributor
Contributor

Postby ricochet » Thu Nov 22, 2007 1:44 pm

Yeah, I think I moved it. Look for a shadow topic where it was.
ricochet
Regular

Next

Return to About Gigs