Their wives dictate my show

A discussion of techniques, and equipment for guitar. Fretted, bottleneck or slide, acoustic or electric, this is the place.

Their wives dictate my show

Postby bigdaddy » Thu Apr 20, 2006 10:54 pm

A couple of the guys in my band have wives and it appears their wives don't like the Dirty Dancing contest in our show. I was informed it is to be no more. They said the Shakenist Booty contest is okay but not the other. I pulled both from the show. The Shakenist Booty is the same contest under another name. I am perplexed over this. The ladies in the bars dig both contests. I feel like my creative freedom has been stomped on. They said we should shake them up with our music and I agree. We are a tight band. The contests were for the ladies dancing and it is mostly ladies dancing. I feel like I want to scream. I know the guys don't object but their wives do. I was given a list of why not and number 6 was the wives. It ain't good.
bigdaddy
Regular

RE: Their wives dictate my show

Postby 601blues » Thu Apr 20, 2006 11:20 pm

I will get trashed fer this one, But the wives should stay at home if they don't like the show !Heck we are entertainers,dats gonna happen, don't they trust there husbands,I would be upset as well!
601blues
Regular

Postby grady » Thu Apr 20, 2006 11:25 pm

That's what you have to deal with when you're in a band my friend.

Yet another reason why I prefer being a Solo Artist.
grady
Regular

Postby mickeypainless » Thu Apr 20, 2006 11:34 pm

Sorry to hear man!
Ya otta tell yer band mates to grow a set or find new wives! Just MY opinion!
mickeypainless
Contributor
Contributor

Postby allanlummox » Thu Apr 20, 2006 11:35 pm

Man, if you are paying these cats at all, then their wives should just back off.

If they are breaking even or spending money playing with you - then the ladies have some sway.
allanlummox
Contributor
Contributor

Postby 601blues » Fri Apr 21, 2006 12:13 am

>That's what you have to deal with when you're in a band my
>friend.
>
>Yet another reason why I prefer being a Solo Artist.
Yup!Same here I enjoy being on muh own! lot less crap fo sure!
601blues
Regular

Postby 1dustyeod » Fri Apr 21, 2006 12:24 am

I would politely tell them (the wives) to stay out of the band buisness. I have another rule also... no females in the band.... EVER. Too much hassell. If I needed advise I wouldn't ask someones wife in the 1st place. Second if they want to be in charge of something let 'em start their own band.....

What bothers me the most is that most of the time these people met me... I was in a bar playing music. Now they want to change all that and it ain't happening. Thats what we do. Get used to it.

Tommy

[www.tommystriplethreatbluesrevue.com/BandPage.html]

"A strat, a cord, and an amp set to 10 is all I really need. Nothing sounds better than a tortured stratocaster....."
1dustyeod
Regular

Postby wwpete52 » Fri Apr 21, 2006 12:33 am

One of the all time great movie lines was when Mickey(Rocky's manager) said to Rocky "WOMEN WEAKEN LEGS!" (Rocky 1976). God, I love women but they can be a royal pain in the ass!
wwpete52
Regular

Postby mickeypainless » Fri Apr 21, 2006 1:24 am

My wife of a qtr century has requested I NOT do something ONCE! I was looking into buying a Strip Club w/ a buddy of mine back in the late 80's and when I ran it by her she said she would rather I not (not even a firm NO) and stated her reasons which made sense so out of respect I didn't do it which ended up being a wise decision because the moral majority rules and regs began restricting it to a point of limited profit for the smaller clubs!
We have a marriage of mutual trust and respect and I just can't see living any other way! She does her thing and I do mine and we do a ton of stuff together but never do we hinder each other in any way! Dat's what it's ALL about!
Hell, in 26 years together she has never even looked in my wallet nor have I looked in her purse! I remember a gal asking if she ever did snoop around lookin for any "evidence" and Jean said "No, cuz if I did I may not like what I find and it would be MY fault for being sneaky"! Now ya'll know why I'm with the same lady so many years later! She's a keeper fersure!
mickeypainless
Contributor
Contributor

Postby bighollowtwang » Fri Apr 21, 2006 1:57 am

My band has a tradition: giving away a free t-shirt to female audience members who bare their breasts in the direction of the band. I guess you guys should consider yourselves lucky you don't play in my band hahahaha...things tend to get pretty weird by the end of the night.
bighollowtwang
Regular

Postby jaybee » Fri Apr 21, 2006 5:11 am

as long as the wives don't pay you, they should keep out of it - if I were you, I'd put both contests back in and tell the guys their wives may control them, but they don NOT control you and they're welcome to go play in a band that doesn't have contests if that's what they have to do "on wife's orders"
jaybee
Regular

Postby stratman_27 » Fri Apr 21, 2006 9:02 am

Guess this may be something I'll have to deal with down the road with my new band. All of us in the band are married and I'm sure our wives will come see us occasionally but I don't think it should be a problem at least I hope it won't be a problem.

"You Damn Right I Got the Blues" Buddy Guy
stratman_27
Regular

Postby maxx england » Fri Apr 21, 2006 10:21 am

"Political Rectitude"?

Political Rectum.
maxx england
Contributor
Contributor

Postby bignick » Fri Apr 21, 2006 11:13 am

[updated:LAST EDITED ON Apr-21-06 AT 07:14 AM (EST)]Just tell them to stay home, and be sure to address them as "Yoko".

j/k

You have yourself a predicament there, but you should remind them that you are playing for a BAR CROWD. Certain things are expected in a bar. If you want to continue to get paid you have to make it fun by appealing to the crowd so that they want to come see you. When they stop wanting to see you, you won't be booked anymore.

I'm just making an assumption, but if the wives are all attending the show AND hate the threat of other women and what they do at the show, they are probably extremely territorial, have some trust issues and/or do not care for their husbands being in a band in the first place.

I'm no expert, but that is my assessment.
bignick
Regular

Postby 1four5 » Fri Apr 21, 2006 12:05 pm

Invite the wives to compete in the contest
1four5
Regular

Next

Return to Guitar