Remember the blues Brothers?

Problems, how to get them, favorite songs to play, groupies, funky bar owners, etc. NO names of clubs, please.

Remember the blues Brothers?

Postby bluesfyre » Wed Mar 28, 2007 11:54 am

My Gawd Man, I was there! Last Week. See the big steer head up there hangin? At least we didn't have to do Stand By Yer Man :-)

Mick
http://www.myspace.com/badpoetry
bluesfyre
Regular

Postby ricochet » Wed Mar 28, 2007 12:38 pm

That's great!

Last fall I attended a totally surreal event when my friend Billy Crawford's blues band played at what turned out to be a country line dancing club for senior citizens. Floor was covered with those 12" square black and white tiles, with a red square here and there. Decor was '50s rock and roll memorabilia and records, with a 56 Crown Victoria convertible in one corner. Pink poodle skirts hanging up, that sort of thing. The club members were basically attired as square dancers. They started off line dancing to Howlin' Wolf stuff, and it just got crazier from there.
ricochet
Regular

Postby jeffl » Wed Mar 28, 2007 2:30 pm

Nice pic,BF! Good lookin' band. Places that look like that are a good reason to always have some Merle Haggard & Johnny Cash tunes in yer arsenal,lol!
jeffl
Contributor
Contributor

Postby bluesmcgoo » Wed Mar 28, 2007 3:50 pm

Great picture!

I've been in that position.

Back in the 80's I was in a "New Wave" band. We had spiked hair, parachute pants (remember them?), the whole nine yards. Anyway, another band that we knew had to cancel a gig at this place called "The Oasis" in Natchitoches (nack-a-tish), La. and they asked us if we would do the gig for them. Long story, short...It turned out to be a country roadhouse. Nothin but rednecks, and they were none too fond of us. Nothing like cold stares and dead silence after every song to make you feel wanted. :shock:

I feel lucky to have made it out of that place with all my teeth.

The bar has long since been torn down and yes...I think the other band found out what the deal was and suckered us in.
bluesmcgoo
Contributor
Contributor

Postby stratman_27 » Wed Mar 28, 2007 9:32 pm

Bob's Country Bunker huh. I dont see any chicken wire.
stratman_27
Regular

Postby MudcatMatt » Sun Nov 11, 2007 5:21 pm

My old band once got talked into subbing for the house band for a weekend at one of those infamous "state-line" beer joints we have here in the South. Let me tell you, all that was missing was the chickenwire.

Now being from Alabama, we had played our share of redneck dives, but nothing like this place. Halfway through our first set not a single person had approached the dance floor. They were all just sitting there sipping their beers and glaring at us. In between songs you could hear a pin drop. It was a lot worse than simply being ignored.

Finally as a last resort, I led the band into a very unrehearsed cover of Blue Eyes Crying In The Rain complete with my best, most nasel Willie Nelson impression. IF this didn't work we would surely get killed for it.

But to my amazment, the dance floor filled and they in fact insisted we repeat the song three times before we stopped. We managed to finish out the night (and the following night) by doing bad LynyrdSkynyrd covers that we were surprised we all knew.

About the only other really tense moment we had was when I decided it would be really funny to substitute the lyrics to Werewolves of London in Sweet Home Alabama. The crowd somehow didn't seem to find that near as amusing as I did.
MudcatMatt
Regular

Postby ricochet » Sun Nov 11, 2007 6:26 pm

Hey, I used to live in Alabama. I'm not surprised by that at all. :lol:
ricochet
Regular

Return to About Gigs