Stella Parlor

A discussion of techniques, and equipment for guitar. Fretted, bottleneck or slide, acoustic or electric, this is the place.

Stella Parlor

Postby savage » Sat Mar 04, 2006 2:27 am

Well I was watchin this item on ebay for a while and bid at the last second only to be outbid by someone who must've had a lightning fast computer. Just thought I'd show you guys.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Vintage-1950s-Stell ... dZViewItem

Was a pretty nice guitar.
savage
Regular

RE: Stella Parlor

Postby 1four5 » Sat Mar 04, 2006 2:38 am

Savage, check the instrument section at http://www.shopgoodwill.com every day. Those show up there all the time, and usually go for cheap as in @ $50 or less. I got one last year in very good shape for $9
1four5
Regular

Postby savage » Sat Mar 04, 2006 3:01 am

I'll be sure to do that 1four5.
savage
Regular

Postby crowduck » Sat Mar 04, 2006 3:03 am

Savage,

That is an exceptionally clean one, don't see many like that. Wow, $149!
I've got 3 old Stella's now, so I can have them strung up in different tunings. They make great sliders. Keep looking, sometimes there's a dozen or so that show up on eBay every week. I'm considering building some copy/replicas like those old ladder braced Stella's.

CrowDuck
crowduck
Regular

Postby savage » Sat Mar 04, 2006 3:07 am

>Savage,
>
>That is an exceptionally clean one, don't see many like
>that. Wow, $149!

yeah, haha, i bid in the last few seconds and some guy still beat me. Technology is somewhat limiting sometime. Thats ok though. If th Lord dont want me to have it, the Lord dont want me to have it. Fine by me.
savage
Regular

Postby bighollowtwang » Sat Mar 04, 2006 3:49 pm

That is a LOT of money for an early 70s student guitar!
You can still get a 50s Stella for less than that...and they are cool guitars if you can get 'em for $40-$80...
bighollowtwang
Regular

Postby crowduck » Sat Mar 04, 2006 7:41 pm

Those Harmony/Stella's were made in the hundreds of thousands through the 60's & 70's. Retailed for about $25 to #35 brand new. Many were XMas or birthday presents, that were promptly forgotten, and reside in attics and closets still. I got a 60's Stella Grand Concert model in 'like new' condition, that came out of an attic, still has the store sticker on it, and the vinyl/canvas carry bag, paid a little over $100 off eBay. What's great about them is the sound/tone, thin, dry, without alot of sustain or overtones, but solid midtones. Just the opposite of a modern Taylor or Martin. Stella's are good for stuff like Skip James fingerpicking, and are great for acoustic slide. I bought another one like what Savage was bidding on, but not quite as nice, off eBay for $25, and I was the only bidder. With eBay you've just got to be patient, and not get carried away. Lots of them show up on eBay every week. There's a website devoted to Harmony & Stella's with lots of history and info, use Google or Yahoo to find.

CrowDuck
crowduck
Regular

Postby bighollowtwang » Sun Mar 05, 2006 6:45 am

[updated:LAST EDITED ON Mar-05-06 AT 01:47 AM (EST)]Harmony made identical guitars for Sears (silvertone) and Montgomery Ward (Airline) and they sell for a lot less - often under $50 - because they don't say "Stella" on the headstock. Like I said, I think they're cool guitars, but not worth more than $75. If you have $150 to spend, keep your eye out for small 20s and 30s guitars by Supertone, Regal, Collegiate, Tonk Brothers, Lyra, B&J, etc...

Here's a fine example:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Collegiate-Concert- ... dZViewItem

I am a big fan of small ladder braced guitars - but for over $100 you might as well get one from the 20s or 30s.

I just recently up a 1920s Lyon & Healy Jupiter for $20. Yes, that's right, $20. It has archaic "transverse bracing" (like ladder bracing but the top brace directly under the soundhole is diagonally slanted towards the treble side of the bridge) which probably accounts for its cavernous bass resonance - sounds like it's tuned low even though it's not.
bighollowtwang
Regular

Return to Guitar