What da F!!!!!

Problems, how to get them, favorite songs to play, groupies, funky bar owners, etc. NO names of clubs, please.

Postby bosco » Tue Oct 16, 2007 4:48 pm

It really is the same story the world over...

Pretty soon we'll have to pay to play!

And even then you still only get 30 minutes, "In case you're crap."

I'm still laughing over that one Stumbles! :lol:

Bosco
bosco
Contributor
Contributor

Postby texas blues » Wed Oct 17, 2007 4:33 am

601..dude...you played with Bobby Rush? I would love to play with him! I would do it for free. But I gotta's say..that is just wrong what that cat is doing to you. Dude obviously is not a real 'bidness man making poor decisions and all. I feel you man. Even at my day job I experience this behavior that leaves me utterly stupified. Question is ...do you still go with this cat and not having other skata lined up or dump him with nothing else going on? I feel ya man. I gotta' ask though..did Bobby have that gal with the big booty doin' the booty clap during the show? Cheers TB.
texas blues
Regular

Postby gcd revue » Thu Dec 13, 2007 6:04 pm

Running a bar can be tough if you expect to make money. Just like a band. Everybody thinks they should get it for free, whether it be a seat, a beer, or the music. Often, bartenders and waitresses will skim money, too. Especially on a busy night. Owners tend to need educated. Try writing up a proposal for your playing time. I've always told (local) venue owners that I'll play for free...but I get PAID to set-up and tear-down, plus maintain the equipment. If necessary, itemize this in terms of cost and time. Let him KNOW he's taking advantage. If he wants to pay out-of-town acts, pro-rate your fee for the lack of travel. If you travel, factor THAT into your quote. You might also get hard numbers for the nights you played there, versus when others have. And make SURE he's aware of it. A business, whether you're serving booze or blues, is about the bottom line. Make sure he knows where his is, and where yours SHOULD be.
gcd revue
Regular

Postby allanlummox » Thu Dec 13, 2007 6:22 pm

Something that's amazing me here in Portland is that the local Musician's Union is acting like it's trying to make some kind of comeback. Pushing for recruitment.

But the Union has no legal right to collectively bargain, or do any of the other things that would help working musicians make a decent living. They can't tell the clubs who to hire, or how much to pay'em.

They just charge dues and "address" non issues like "should there be more all ages clubs" . I attended a couple of meetings to see if it was a decent idea. Wow, the organizers are absolute pros at wasting time.
allanlummox
Contributor
Contributor

Previous

Return to About Gigs