What da F!!!!!

Problems, how to get them, favorite songs to play, groupies, funky bar owners, etc. NO names of clubs, please.

What da F!!!!!

Postby 601blues » Sun Oct 14, 2007 11:14 pm

This little blues bar I have helped get off da ground fo da past yr. Ive been workin fo door and tips, well the owner has been bringin in what he thinks is bigger name peeps, like Bobby Rush, Vasti Jackson,payin em, and loosin his back side, when the biggest crowds have been when lil'e ole 601 been playin!!This really is startin ta piss me off, then he calls 601 ta come play freebees!!He has 601 for the 26th and 27th,Oct, Iam so ticked right now Iam about to tell him ta get Bobby Rush!!
601blues
Regular

Postby fat paul » Mon Oct 15, 2007 12:37 am

Dose this jerk at least have you do an opening set for some of the larger names? That can at least help the old resume'.
fat paul
Regular

Postby jellyroll baker » Mon Oct 15, 2007 2:34 am

It's the same ol' story the whole world over. You gave an inch and now he's cashing it in for that mile.
Last edited by jellyroll baker on Mon Oct 15, 2007 7:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
jellyroll baker
Contributor
Contributor

Postby stumblin » Mon Oct 15, 2007 7:21 am

It really is the same story the world over.
Pretty soon we'll have to pay to play!
Time we made a stand.
stumblin
Regular

Postby jellyroll baker » Mon Oct 15, 2007 7:27 am

fat paul wrote:Dose this jerk at least have you do an opening set for some of the larger names? That can at least help the old resume'.

And ensure a decent crowd at the gigs. It's an old publicans trick that seems to be forgotten these days - always have a double bill with an out of towner and a local act. That way you can be pretty sure that at least one of them will pull a crowd.
jellyroll baker
Contributor
Contributor

Postby 601blues » Mon Oct 15, 2007 12:10 pm

:shock: the more I think about it the madder I get, The gigs he had last weekend started on thurs, Had Sean Carney Band passin thru to the Ohio Blues fest, he didn't call and ask 601 squat, I heard he paid them 600 bucks and nobody showed to see em!!Friday he had Fat Daddy, this band sucks rubber tires The only thing they have is a SRV impersonator!!Then Sat night they had Bobby Rush with this Fat Daddy tryin ta back him, Bobby Rush told me sunday that he was told 601 would be playin wif him and when he asked Bob, the owner said I was unavailable!!!!!! Man!! Ive Played with Bobby rush several times at the subway,and we were in the Doc.Last of the Mississippi Jukes!! Then when I call Bob Ulmer last monday ta see how it went, He tells me he Lost his butt and starts cryin ta me I asked why he booked all the shows, He said it was the 1 year anniv.and he wanted to do somphin special, I said well Bob I believe 601 was the first Band ever ta play there Don't ya think you shoulda included 601!! Iam really thinkin bout cancelin all shows there,The last Time I played there I sent my Bass and drummer home after the 3rd set and did the 4th set solo, Bob got mad about that!! I told him when he started payin for Our time then he could get mad~~
601blues
Regular

Postby houserocker » Mon Oct 15, 2007 3:54 pm

Whoa now 601. Take some time and cool down. Club owners sometimes don't realize what they are doing. I bet this guy doesn't even realize he is making you mad. Have a nice sit down with him one day when the timing is right and talk to him and let him know how you feel. I've wanted to ring the necks of some club owners or manager before but I have learned over the years that cooler heads prevail. Try not to take it to personally but remember payback is a Bitch, and one day you will have your chance. Even though it may be hurting your feelings it is a place to play locally for you and that's the best feeling ever when people are enjoying your music! Just let cooler heads prevail in this case, that's just my opinion.

http://www.thehouserockers.net
houserocker
Contributor
Contributor

Postby 601blues » Mon Oct 15, 2007 4:03 pm

your more than right!! My Bark is woorse then my bite!!Ive not said anything ta Bob, just for the fact I feel sorry for him actually, he loves the blues and its been his dream to have a nice Juke Joint, and I know he has ta be loosin his arse!! and the things he is doing really is not ta hurt anyone he is just trying all he can ta get his feet under himself, Man now I feel like a jerk!! I wish there was somphin I could do to help him but playing for free when needed is all I can do right now, actually its not free Ive gotta cough up gas monies for everybody!! I can vent though!!
601blues
Regular

Postby 601blues » Mon Oct 15, 2007 4:17 pm

:shock: GEZZ ya ain't gonna believe this!right after I posted above I got a call from Bob Ulmer askin if I would Play this friday night!! YUP I told him I would do a solo, GEZZ iam such a sucker!!I mention About the other thing He said he thought I would be insulted to be asked to open for someone else!!
601blues
Regular

Postby jeffl » Mon Oct 15, 2007 4:36 pm

Dealin' with club owners and fest organizers is definitely a dicey task, 601. I'm in no position to give you a lecture on it, but I do think there's a fine line between swallowin' some pride, and lettin' yersef get stomped on, and therein lie the variables. In general, I think swallowin' pride is a good thing, but I'd definitely draw the line if a club owner jus' plain tries to screw ya'. One place I'd draw the line is that if I'm workin' for the door, I would always insist on havin' one person from the club and one from the band workin' any door. It's too tempting for club owners to shave the door receipts otherwise. If they won't let you have your person at the moneybox, then I wouldn't work for the gate. That's not mistrust; it's jus' good business. And, I'd tally and reconcile the box between every set too. Otherwise, if money goes missin', I guarantee the outcome will never be in the band's favor. I dated a girl who managed a successful band for a while and she opened my eyes to ways I coulda been gettin' screwed and never even knew it. I'm sure you've seen your share of stuff,too.
jeffl
Contributor
Contributor

Postby 601blues » Mon Oct 15, 2007 4:48 pm

:shock: YUP!! its a dirty way ta make a livin,My biggest problem and will always be my problem, is Iam to dam trustin,when I first meet someone ,no matter how they are dressed or what they look like or color of there skin, I think they are the greatest person in da world, now if they misuse that then I will never have anything else ta do wif em but I have gotta get screwed first!
601blues
Regular

Postby jeffl » Mon Oct 15, 2007 5:04 pm

601blues wrote::shock: YUP!! its a dirty way ta make a livin,My biggest problem and will always be my problem, is Iam to dam trustin,when I first meet someone ,no matter how they are dressed or what they look like or color of there skin, I think they are the greatest person in da world, now if they misuse that then I will never have anything else ta do wif em but I have gotta get screwed first!
That's not a bad way to go through life, 601, as far as bein' open to people and developin' relationships. I think you'll be happier that way, rather than bein' a terminal skeptic. It usually doesn't take long for a person to show their true colors anyway, if they're gonna be greedy,slippery, and dishonest. In my experience, alotta things go smoothly if business is good, but if things get tough, dishonest people will revert to dirty tactics before they consider the straight path; their first inclination is to lie or cheat.
jeffl
Contributor
Contributor

Postby houserocker » Mon Oct 15, 2007 5:47 pm

There you go 601, the guy didn't wan't to insult you or so he thought. Sometimes people just don't make the right decisions, hopefully his club will make it and you will always have a nice local place to play. :D

http://www.thehouserockers.net[/quote]
houserocker
Contributor
Contributor

Postby maxx england » Tue Oct 16, 2007 10:43 am

Small suggestion: have you mentioned expenses? You have your overheads etc, so at least he could help out. How you assemble the figures for the expenses is open to interpretation, of course......
maxx england
Contributor
Contributor

Postby 601blues » Tue Oct 16, 2007 11:49 am

i have ta be fair and honest here, My door take and cd sales and tips have pretty much covered my expenses, I guess I was just upset from the fact he was payin other groups, Then they could pocket CD sales and tips as extra lanape' If Iam playin with a band and I sell my CDs I don't put that inta the pot, because thats my personal CDs and they have nuttin invested in that but tips and the door is for everybody,so I had ta use my CD money ta cover everybodies expence, Ive done well on solo shows, thats what I will do this friday
601blues
Regular

Next

Return to About Gigs