Getting there

Problems, how to get them, favorite songs to play, groupies, funky bar owners, etc. NO names of clubs, please.

Getting there

Postby maxx england » Thu Sep 27, 2007 11:31 am

Went with Clive to an open mic last night, we took my big kit (Phoenix mosfet head, 2 x G12-80 Celestion cab) to the Old Crown in Digbeth (last Wednesday in every month), did a 3 number slot, got the rare compliment of a requested 4th number, that don't happen much at that gig. We suffered from not having a monitor, so it felt like we were losing touch a couple of times, but the punters didn't notice and we weren't about to tell them. What was nice was the groove hit them in the dance muscles, so I think the direction is right.

Considering the short time we've known each other and the limited rehearsals we've had, it all looks promising.

And if there's any Mojo involved, he's got a house right next to a crossroads sign.
maxx england
Contributor
Contributor

Postby jeffl » Thu Sep 27, 2007 2:23 pm

Hey,good on ya' Maxx! Playin' without monitors reminds me of playin' back in 7th & 8th grade (over 40 yrs. ago) ,before alotta of us even thought about monitors...and then playin' without monitors at dances in those old quanset huts that used to be everywhere....they shoulda called it mush insteada rock 'n' roll. I hope yer band keeps rollin'.
jeffl
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Getting there

Postby 601blues » Fri Sep 28, 2007 10:20 am

maxx england wrote:Went with Clive to an open mic last night, we took my big kit (Phoenix mosfet head, 2 x G12-80 Celestion cab) to the Old Crown in Digbeth (last Wednesday in every month), did a 3 number slot, got the rare compliment of a requested 4th number, that don't happen much at that gig. We suffered from not having a monitor, so it felt like we were losing touch a couple of times, but the punters didn't notice and we weren't about to tell them. What was nice was the groove hit them in the dance muscles, so I think the direction is right.

Considering the short time we've known each other and the limited rehearsals we've had, it all looks promising.

And if there's any Mojo involved, he's got a house right next to a crossroads sign.
Great Maxx!! sounds like a great time! The monitors!! man I hate fightin those darn things!! Ive looked into the in ear ones gezz !!I would haveta sell muh guitars ta get one of them!!! but Iam still puttin my mains behind me and thats all I need and works great!!
601blues
Regular

Postby dcblues » Fri Sep 28, 2007 1:14 pm

Monitors are great when used right by a competent sound man. But sometimes finding a comeptent sound man is like finding the Loch Ness monster or Big Rock Candy Mountain. I've had quite a few gigs where my amp sounded fine but I had to turn down because my monitor was feeding back. I usually end up having them turn down my monitor when that happens. No feedback, but I have trouble hearing the horns and vocals.
dcblues
Contributor
Contributor

Return to About Gigs