Need some advice

A forum devoted to the discussion of playing bass with the blues.

Need some advice

Postby tim3finger » Wed Jul 18, 2007 2:20 pm

Let me explain, Tom, the banjo guy ( 1four5) and me, all worked at the same job. That let us play on our breaks and and lunch. We stayed up to speed on all our set list that way.
It's been about two and half months since our Singer/Lead guitar player Tom retired.
Now to my question; Tom's gone, we still do our gigs and practice once a week, but everyday Dean( 1four5) and I play our set list, only now I'm doing the singing and playing the Bass. Hardest thing I've ever tried to do in my life. I'm getting better at it, but my problem is, I simplify my bass playing in order to sing the songs correctly. Is that O.K., or is that a bad thing.
It is very frustrating some times, cause when I am not having to sing, I get to do some melodic , almost lead type work on some of our songs. . Tom says I should take some of the songs now and give him a break, but I'm not sure. Sorry if I sound so neurotic, but this is new ground for me. Advice/help/tips/encouragement please

Tim
tim3finger
Regular

Postby 1four5 » Wed Jul 18, 2007 3:07 pm

Hey stop your bitching and sing your ass off...your good at it! (Tim has a very deep bluesy voice). I'd sing if I could...and it aint for lack of trying. Tim's a natural, I'd get kicked out of a kereoke bar at 2 am. 8)
1four5
Regular

Postby jeffl » Wed Jul 18, 2007 3:39 pm

Tim: there's nothin' wrong with simplifying the bass lines. Bass players are often like harpers, in that quite often we (I'm a harper) play too many notes and don't leave enough space in tunes. Space can be a very good thing. Also, your bandmates can supply fill when it's needed...you don't have to do it all. Sometimes we try to do more than we're capable of, and it results in shoddy tune craftsmanship, where we would be better off simplifying things and playing within ourselves, and doing it well. It'll all come to ya' in time,bro'.
jeffl
Contributor
Contributor

Postby jellyroll baker » Thu Jul 19, 2007 1:23 am

Nothing wrong with being simple. Focus on keeping the beat and supporting the song. The only people who care about fancy bass tricks are other bass players.
jellyroll baker
Contributor
Contributor

Postby tim3finger » Thu Jul 26, 2007 1:06 pm

Thanks for the tips guys. I am working on staying within the song with my playing, and it has made it easier to sing it. Gotta love love that 1-4-5 progression. On the stuff we play that doesn't fit that pattern, keeping space in the song works well too. Never thought about it like that before.

Thanks Again
Tim
tim3finger
Regular

Postby tim3finger » Fri Sep 14, 2007 2:24 pm

UPDATE-

Boy, sometimes the simplest things escape us don't they. I figured out if I just get into the song and feel the rythmn and play along with it where I need to, then I can just let the vocals roll out. Strange concept and hard to explain, but oh so easy, once I figured it out. Just feel the song, instead of trying to perform. How simple is that?

Tim
tim3finger
Regular

Postby 1four5 » Fri Sep 14, 2007 3:28 pm

Now if we can just get him up to that microphone at a gig.... 8) :wink: :D
1four5
Regular

Postby bosco » Fri Sep 14, 2007 8:11 pm

Now if we can just get him up to that microphone at a gig....

Be careful what you wish for, once he pulls it off and hears that applause you won't be able to shut him up. Poor Tom will be lookin' for another gig!

:lol:

Bosco
bosco
Contributor
Contributor

Return to Bass - Meet Me At The Bottom