pros and cons for tube bass amps

A forum devoted to the discussion of playing bass with the blues.

Postby ricochet » Tue Sep 11, 2007 1:58 am

These threads have a way of circling back around to touch on the original topic now and then. :lol:
ricochet
Regular

Postby houndog » Tue Sep 11, 2007 1:57 pm

Arf arf Iceman,
I think you needs to be telling these types..."hmm, more volume boys, I can't hear you at the bar" :wink:

adios,
Lovat

bosco wrote:>>>Unfortunate that it takes some idiots 20 years to figure this out...if they ever do!<<<
Bosco
houndog
Regular

Postby lpdeluxe » Tue Sep 11, 2007 3:12 pm

In 25 years of gigging, there was ONE time a venue owner asked me to "turn it up." This was a folkie coffee house, and the owner stayed in the back, where she was used to hearing the music ricochet off the brick walls lining the interior. It was one of the most shocking thing I've ever heard.

On the other hand, two weeks ago we played at a VFW dance in a small town north of here. While we were setting up, two separate delegations came up to the stage to warn us not to play too loud.

In the event, we were asked back...for a lot of bands, it's a one time only because when they're too loud, they don't get invited up there again.

I've gone around the area listening to other bands, and there are two faults, other than using tubes for bass amps: loudness and the "everybody play all the way through every song" syndrome. Didn't their mothers ever tell them they should play **arrangements**? Even in something as superficially simple as the 12 bar blues, tension and release is what makes music.

Again, that's why I play through a solid state bass amp.
lpdeluxe
Regular

Previous

Return to Bass - Meet Me At The Bottom