fun gig, or how things can go...

Problems, how to get them, favorite songs to play, groupies, funky bar owners, etc. NO names of clubs, please.

fun gig, or how things can go...

Postby jaybee » Mon Sep 03, 2007 8:49 am

last month I came back from the Cognac Blues Festival and found two bookings in my email - GREAT!!

A singer I met there told me she knew a harp player looking for a band, he came to a rehearsal and was hired on the spot - GREAT

then next day I heard our bass player had to stop playing because of a medical problem - NOT so great, so I called a guy who played with me a couple of years ago, and he agreed to play the two concerts - GREAT

the same evening our drummer tells me he can't make it those two dates, because he has a string of gigs with another band he's playing with, and they have to play all 10 or none... I call our other guitar player and he says he knows about a drummer who might want to do the concerts. Of course, the guy is on holidays for two weeks, I'm on holiday the next week - came back on Saturday and Sunday is the gig - NOT so great

So this was the lineup:

me on guitar and vocals (hadn't sang for three weeks...)
Fred on guitar (him and me started the band)
a bass player who hadn't played our stuff for about two years
a harp player who'd had ONE rehearsal and a half hour gig at a festival
and a drummer we'd never seen before and who had no clue what we played, other than "it's a blues band"

I'd left out all the "weird" songs, and threw in some regular 12-bar tunes we'd never played before with the band, so we had enough material, told the guys "it's a jam, let's knock'em dead" and we played our asses off

the result?
we got more drinks than we could handle brought to the stage without asking for them (had to drive home myself after the gig, so...)
and... we'd agreed on €300 and the bar owner ended up giving us €350... now THAT's what I call 'putting your money where your mouth is' 8)

next concert in two weeks and guess what... no rehearsal either, couldn't find one day when everyone was free (those day jobs really CAN get in the way 8)
jaybee
Regular

Postby bosco » Mon Sep 03, 2007 3:48 pm

Ah, the joys of running a band...

Sound like you pulled it off smashingly. Good on ya.

Bosco
bosco
Contributor
Contributor

Return to About Gigs