Electar Tube 10/Epi Valve Jr. etc

Problems with equipment? Problem fitting them into the above forums? Post 'em here.

Electar Tube 10/Epi Valve Jr. etc

Postby birdmove » Sun Aug 26, 2007 9:19 pm

Anyone here played through one of the Electar Tube 10 amps and also one of the Epi Valve Jrs? Just wondering how they compare.

Thanks Jon
birdmove
Regular

Postby ricochet » Mon Aug 27, 2007 1:51 am

I have both. I love both. They're totally different.

The Tube 10 is a rather sophisticated little amp with gain and master volume, three band EQ of the Fender sort, a line out from the preamp (but no line back in, so it's not an effects loop), a standby switch, and a 120/240V power selector switch with interchangeable power supply cords. It has an enclosed, ported speaker cabinet. Just about everything that the craziest Valve Junior modders want to do to a VJ is already there. It's well built and sound.

The Valve Junior is a throwback. It's a 1940s lap steel amp, or '50s cheap small guitar practice amp, with the preamp drive balance messed with so that it hits full volume at half travel on the knob and overdrives past that. That's all. No tone control, no standby, nothing else. One knob. IMO, it ought to be left that way. Simplicity is its soul. Don't buy it if you don't want an absolutely bare-bones tube amp.

OTOH, if you're really interested in learning to build and mod amps, starting by hacking up a VJ is a way to do that. I think it's probably better to buy an AX-84 kit.
ricochet
Regular

Postby birdmove » Mon Aug 27, 2007 6:54 am

Thanks for the great info. I have an Electar Tube 10 that I got used on ebay, and its a great little amp. Interestingly, http://www.musicyo.com still has these on their website, but it just says out of stock. Its been a few years I think since they've actually sold them, so it looks like they are no more.

Jon
birdmove
Regular

Postby 601blues » Mon Aug 27, 2007 8:08 pm

:D That is a cool lookin amp! How does it sound??
601blues
Regular

Postby ricochet » Tue Aug 28, 2007 12:53 am

It's a great little amp! But they're long gone. MusicYo set that page to be "temporarily out of stock" years ago. For a long time it had a rolling date 6 months ahead when they'd have some more. Don't know if they've left that going. But they won't be back. You'll have to look for used. There were bozos who didn't appreciate what they had when they were available cheap, so you may be able to pick one up reasonably. They were a real sleeper.
ricochet
Regular

Postby birdmove » Tue Aug 28, 2007 3:20 am

Glad I got mine. They have a speaker out plug too.No reverb.Standby switch(!!). They also had a 30 watt model.

Jon
birdmove
Regular

Postby ricochet » Tue Aug 28, 2007 3:26 pm

The 30W is a very different amp, too, with a Class AB1 push-pull output stage using 4 EL84s, I think, and an open backed cabinet.

All cool amps.

Electar in modern times is a brand name owned by Gibson, used for test market gear sold only through MusicYo. Never intended for mass distribution.
ricochet
Regular

Return to Equipment Blues