Tim3finger's Telebass

A forum devoted to the discussion of playing bass with the blues.

Postby 1four5 » Sat Jun 30, 2007 12:54 pm

Gosh darn...it's a year later now...and Tim had migrated to short scale bass necks. I'm not really sure what happened to the opriginal Telebass...but I think his new Telebass is even cooler. My beater practice guitar was a yellow Squire Tele. Tim's beater bass was a Bronco. One day we were brainstorming and came up with the idea to marry the two. I gave him the Squire body...stock...electronics and all. Tim cut the back ledge off the tele bridge plate and screwed it back on, then added the Bronco's bridge and neck. he had to trim the neck a bit with a dremel to get it to fit. He strung it up with flatwounds and man it kicks ass. I aint never heard a bass sparkle like this one. Tim likes it so much he sent his $$$$ Gibson LP bass back. Stock Squire 6 string electronics mind you on a bass...who woulda thunk 8)
1four5
Regular

Postby 1four5 » Mon Jul 02, 2007 3:10 pm

Here's a pic of Tim and the telebass taken last Saturday
1four5
Regular

Postby houndog » Wed Jul 04, 2007 7:33 pm

Nice look,
and I admire your patience in building it...the only patience I had to show was hanging onto my Jaguar and grinning insanely until the shop guy got to the lowest price he could :lol:

Stick with the existing paint job, mainly because if you have it all set up you mebs don't want to upset it .

adios,
Lovat
houndog
Regular

Postby mike932 » Mon Jul 09, 2007 7:56 am

I am breaking a commandment, I am coveting your bass. Great job sir. Even though I am bass rich right now, I will now embark on a Tele bass. I just saw a pic on this sight (don't remember where and I am too lazy to look for it right now) of a bluesman who is building a semi hollow tele style guitar that is semi hollow, it has the "f" hole. I saw it and in my slightly off center mind, visualized a bass guitar in the same configuration, with perhaps the off yellow color of the early tele's. An ebony fretless fretboard, tele neck with re-issue tuners.
mike932
Regular

Postby bluejay » Thu Jul 12, 2007 4:27 pm

That new short-scale Telebass is just tooooo cool! But then, I do play a Tele so I may be biased....nah, it's just cool! 8)
bluejay
Regular

Postby tim3finger » Thu Jul 12, 2007 6:16 pm

Thanks Guys

I really do want to mess with it some more, but it plays so well and sounds so good, I just can't quit playing it. I would have never thought it would sound as good as it does. The stock tele pickups give me a solid enough bottom, growling mid, and sparkling high end. The pick up switch gives me instant tone changes and I can always tweak the tone knob for different colorations of the tone.
Sure was fun to do and not that much work either! 1four5 gave me the body free, the bronco bass was $150.00, so there is not a lot of money tied up in it. But, the sum of the parts is often greater than the parts. In this case it is true. Of course you sacrifice some tone and bottom end on a short scale, but the light weight and speed/ease of playing more than makes up for that, at least for me.

Tim
tim3finger
Regular

Previous

Return to Bass - Meet Me At The Bottom