Big Road Trivia - July 2007

A discussion of the blues for blues lovers and fans.

Big Road Trivia - July 2007

Postby dcblues » Mon Jul 02, 2007 1:51 pm

This brother and sister fronted a band that was very popular in the 40s and 50s. He played piano and she sang. Their songs were covered by, among others, Muddy Waters and Little Walter. Who were they?
dcblues
Contributor
Contributor

Postby dcblues » Wed Jul 04, 2007 8:24 pm

Do you need some clues or hints here? I thought this one would be fairly easy.
dcblues
Contributor
Contributor

Postby cas » Wed Jul 04, 2007 9:14 pm

Is it Buddy Johnson & sister Ella?

Carol
cas

Postby dcblues » Wed Jul 04, 2007 9:56 pm

Indeed it is.

Your turn.
dcblues
Contributor
Contributor

Postby hashtaff » Mon Jul 09, 2007 12:09 am

I'm not sure what has happened to the trivia thread - used to be screamin' along now it's like a wet week.
hashtaff
Contributor
Contributor

Postby bosco » Mon Jul 09, 2007 11:43 am

I'm not sure what has happened to the trivia thread...

I used to spend a lot of time e mailing folks to remind them it was their turn. (Most of you regular participants have received a few). The last time they reformatted the forum with new software they did away with the email feature in the personal profiles. Now there is only a PM feature and as we all know you actually have to be on the forum to receive one of those.

I think we still have members who want to participate but two and three day delays have slowed the trivia to a crawl. My theory anyway.

Bosco
bosco
Contributor
Contributor

Postby cas » Mon Jul 09, 2007 11:55 pm

Oh Lord, I'm sorry. I was out of town for 3 days & am back to work today. Will post question in a few.

:oops:

Carol
cas

Postby cas » Mon Jul 09, 2007 11:59 pm

Ok, an easy one.

Debuted on Rounder in 1989, and follows the previous questions theme. Blues & Gospel act.

Carol
cas

Postby hashtaff » Tue Jul 10, 2007 3:27 am

The Holmes Brothers.... or do you mean another brother/sister partnership??
hashtaff
Contributor
Contributor

Postby cas » Tue Jul 10, 2007 4:04 am

Sherman and Wendell Holmes were born and raised in Christchurch, Virginia. Their schoolteacher parents fostered the boys' early interest in music as they listened to traditional Baptist hymns, anthems and spirituals as well as blues music by Jimmy Reed, Junior Parker and B.B. King. They both sang in the church choir. Sherman studied clarinet and piano before taking up the bass, while Wendell learned trumpet, organ and guitar. Sherman studied composition and music theory at Virginia State University, but in 1959, he dropped out and headed to New York for a promising job with a singer named Jimmy Jones (of Handy Man fame). His younger brother Wendell joined him after completing high school. The two brothers played in a few bands before forming The Sevilles in 1963. The group lasted only three years, but they often backed up touring artists like The Impressions, John Lee Hooker and Jerry Butler, gaining a wealth of experience. After The Sevilles disbanded, Sherman, Wendell and a fellow Virginian, drummer Popsy Dixon, continued to play in a variety of Top 40 bar bands - Wendell even toured with Inez and Charlie Foxx (Mockingbird) until 1979, when the three joined forces and formed The Holmes Brothers band.

Take it away Hash, that was quick!

Carol
cas

Postby hashtaff » Tue Jul 10, 2007 6:43 am

Thanks Cas, nice to see you around.

Well OK how about something completely different?

The latest White Stripes offering features, among other eclectic instruments , the bagpipes.
What's different about de bagpipes on this particular track?
hashtaff
Contributor
Contributor

Postby ricochet » Tue Jul 10, 2007 5:36 pm

They're in the key of D. Not your usual bagpipes.
ricochet
Regular

Postby cas » Tue Jul 10, 2007 8:19 pm

I love bagpipes, but didn't know they came in different keys. That's amazing, I learn something new here almost every day.

Carol
cas

Postby hashtaff » Tue Jul 10, 2007 10:36 pm

ricochet wrote:They're in the key of D. Not your usual bagpipes.

Correctomundo Rico!

Normally in Bb

Take it away mate.
hashtaff
Contributor
Contributor

Postby ricochet » Wed Jul 11, 2007 1:16 pm

One of the greatest slide guitarists of all time, IMO, this fellow's best known as a bluesy rocker with a band. He played sessions with Willie Dixon, John Lee Hooker and Muddy Waters. He never got the recognition accorded to his contemporary Duane Allman; could this be because this one's tragic accidental death didn't occur until he was 57 years old? He was working on blues projects and teaching lessons at the time of his death.
ricochet
Regular

Next

Return to Talking Blues