Its Supposed ta be FUN!!

Problems, how to get them, favorite songs to play, groupies, funky bar owners, etc. NO names of clubs, please.

Its Supposed ta be FUN!!

Postby 601blues » Tue Jun 26, 2007 11:51 am

You can lead a horse ta water!! My latest group of players I have been excited bout, have caused me to worry bout keepin gig booked and keepin them interested, Which causes me ta feel pressured!! NO FUN!
I had done a tour in 02 in Belgium and Germany, and have been asked back several times, And some Festival promoters and The Promoters in Belgium keep emailin me for some demo's ad pic's I had promised to have in to them this week! Pressure!!NO FUN!!
I have had 2 photo sessions set up this month to get pics done!! And the band canceled out both times!! NO FUN!! 1st time Mac the sax player was a no show!! he forgot????? the 2nd time Melvin bass player said he was beat and could not up????? NO FUN!! the photgrapher wanted to get the 6pm light!!So for all my effort in tryin ta move us foreward, I have not done anything!!NO FUN!!I finialy said Look Let go in the studio record a couple of tunes cuz we have nuttin with us on record, and I will just take pic's in the studio,And can email out everything it better than nuttin,and if we are gonna catch the fall tour we need ta do it now!! This was set for last Saturday, evening!! Melvin and Lorenda Drums Cancelled!! after I had lined up a producer friend of mine to do the recording!!NOOOOO FUNNNNN!!!!!!!
601blues
Regular

Postby bosco » Tue Jun 26, 2007 12:08 pm

I'm with ya.

It gets to be a grind promoting the band year after year and I constantly have to remind myself that I do this for fun!

Youngsters trying to undercut you on price, club owners and gig bookers trying to chisel you at every turn, band members that don't want to rehearse or help move equipment. Cost of gasoline. Blah...no fun.

Lots of expense, effort and stress for the just the few hours spent on stage.

Bosco
bosco
Contributor
Contributor

Postby 601blues » Tue Jun 26, 2007 12:20 pm

:shock: I know I have said this before, BUT iam goin back to the Basic's
Sunday afternoon, I just dropped by my local blues bar set up and did a couple hrs, of solo stuff, everybody said why do I need anybody else, the Club owner and good friend, told me he would rather hear me solo, and my laid back style, and for me I prefer ta stay in the studio and work my material and just due improtu shows solo when I get the urge, NOW THATS FUN :wink:
601blues
Regular

Postby ricochet » Tue Jun 26, 2007 1:36 pm

You're making a solo act sound better all the time, 601. :D
ricochet
Regular

Postby 601blues » Tue Jun 26, 2007 1:49 pm

:shock: Well Rico, its like anything else, you gotta watch the results of your efforts,and if your not gittin the results you was expectin,time to try somphin else, why keep fishin the same spot,you will go home empty handed, gotta try another lure or another hole, or take yer boat home!!and if people don't wanna share the cost of bait,don't take em fishin, :wink:
601blues
Regular

Postby houserocker » Tue Jun 26, 2007 8:35 pm

601 I know what you mean, had pretty much the same thing happen to me more than once, when you are the so called Leader of the band you expect everyone else to put in the same amount of effort and commitment you do, but it ain't gonna happen, trust me. I am the guy that books all the gigs, makes sure all the band members know there schedules, collects the pay, sets up the equipment, tears down the equipment and everything else associated with a show. Most of the guys just show up to play and get paid like Rock Stars, but I know that and I knew that pretty much when I hired them so it's up to me if it's worth it. To me it is worth dealing with a full band, most of the live work I do is acoustic duo's I'd say 70% of my gigs are these type, even with them sometimes just your partners ( I use different ones for different gigs) are hard to keep straight. But it really is nice when the full band is kicking, I have some great musicians to play with and we all get along real well. So to me it's worth all the hassle, and beleive me it's a daily hassle! So maybe you can find an in between like I have doing both acoustic (lot less hassle) shows and full band shows (much more hassle but more fun). You just have to realize that your other people are not as fully dedicated as you and learn to deal with it because it will never change, it's just the way it is.

http://www.thehouserockers.net
houserocker
Contributor
Contributor

Postby jaybee » Wed Jun 27, 2007 10:04 am

hey man, if you DO come over to Belgium, be sure to let me know when & where, if at all possible I'll be there!
jaybee
Regular

Postby 601blues » Wed Jun 27, 2007 12:06 pm

:shock: Yup!! Guys, I see there are pro's on this site, and artists, I have a difficult time puttin my feelins to words its much easier for me to express thru my music, But its like this, whatever I do I always put forth 100% thats just the way Iam, with music I have no interest in doin cover tunes,however the stuff I do like BB or Robert Johnson I just do them the way they make me feel,not worried about reproducing there work, But when Iam set for a gig I do alotta prep, and work hard on 601's material and have a sound in my head,that I want to hear, and if you team with others you might be able to go knock off a gig or 2,and play well enough to not get Booed outta da place, and as HR sez its fun to have a group groovin together, But In My way of thinkin to break past that common hum drum,area,and into a fresh new sound and expression it takes solid team effort, and every one working together, unity!! and without that you will always be what you always was, My fun is when I have really played the way I wanted it played and let my inner self out, I wrote a new song that just fell in place last night, Called this womans makin me CRAZY, But unless I have mates that will set down and work the song with me and find there parts, when I go out and try ta play it live they will be fumblin tryin to catch it!! and I realize its not goin anywhere and try and end it without it being a plane crash!! Thats NO FUN!! I guess thats the point Iam try so hard to make here, Heck I don't mind carrying everything and settin everythang!! If I could get mates that would set with me and get on the same channel with me! I guess its a littel diff, with me since I hang on to strickly , all orginials, so I would rather play them solo, than to play them with people that don't know the material
601blues
Regular

Postby grady » Wed Jun 27, 2007 7:20 pm

If you make the switch and become a Solo act, you'll soon find that you have nothing to b*tch about. Life will be good.
I did it years ago and have never looked back.
Best move I ever made.
grady
Regular

Postby 601blues » Wed Jun 27, 2007 7:36 pm

:shock: I have a good time both with a band and solo, But I must say the most fun and most fulfilling gigs I can remember has been solo, and its interestin that I hear from people I respect that has heard me both ways have said I should remain solo, Iam comfortable either way, well Iam more comfortable solo, the only butt I gotta worry bout is me! :lol:
601blues
Regular

Postby grady » Wed Jun 27, 2007 7:53 pm

and that's what makes it better.
The entire band is you.
grady
Regular

Postby 601blues » Wed Jun 27, 2007 8:04 pm

:shock: Yeah Grady, several years , ago thats eaxctly what I was doin, I have all my materials that I have recorded, on CD, in the studio I do all the instruments, bass sax rythym lead keyboards harmonica and vocals, anyway I of course deducted the parts I was doin live, and so I had a complete band with me, I listened to some of your clips, Good stuff Grady!! but ofcourse I had a few tunes I did just with my guitar Slide, But It worked out great , then I started reinventin da wheel and out thought muh dumb self!! I do that a lot!! so Like my old drill sargent used ta say!! KEEP IT SIMPLE STUPID!! KISS for short!
601blues
Regular

Postby 1dustyeod » Fri Jun 29, 2007 5:04 am

I've essentially done the same thing. Every year I sit down and record a new CD. The last two years I did it all myself. Guitars, bass drums, keys, vocals, horns.... Everything. I do have two guys that I play electric gigs with but I only try to book them once every other month or so. During the summers I try to book a couple festivals. We practice twice a week and they come over here to the house to record every now and then. Seems easier if I don't really try to push 'em. Most people don't really realize that you can make a buisness out of this and you can make some money and enjoy yourself...... if you don't take it all too seriously. Of course.... you can worry yourself to death over it If you want to... But.... Why? Its music.... and its supposed to be fun. I'm recording tonight. Now.... but I'm the one that has to get it done. Or it doesn't get done. Don't depend on anybody else to do it.... You have to do it yourself if you really want it done.

8) 8) 8)
1dustyeod
Regular

Postby texas blues » Sat Jun 30, 2007 5:16 pm

As old man Roth said to Michael in Godfather II, " I didn't ask who gave the order. I said to myself..this is the business we have chosen".
The music business in general I liken to being in a relationship. I would rather put up with all the tears and heartache, the angst and tension and all the pure bs and the hell of being in love with a woman than sit at home and watch it happen to someone else on television. Same with being a musician. Once I have a crowd of say 200 in front of me and I play that first riff...all the scat on steroids is forgotten. There is nothing, I mean nothing like playing to a bunch of folks who only want to be entertained and have a good time and you got em' hip shakin' and butt rockin'. For that ephemoral moment when you are "on"..you are Master of the Universe!
texas blues
Regular

Postby 1dustyeod » Sat Jun 30, 2007 11:41 pm

That IS what its all about I guess......

:shock: 8) :D
1dustyeod
Regular

Next

Return to About Gigs