Two Festival Gigs This Weekend

Problems, how to get them, favorite songs to play, groupies, funky bar owners, etc. NO names of clubs, please.

Two Festival Gigs This Weekend

Postby dcblues » Thu Jun 21, 2007 12:44 pm

I haven't had a gig with my main band for a couple of weeks, but we're starting to get busy this weekend. We're playing at a festival this Saturday and a barbecue contest Sunday:

http://www.steppingstonemuseum.org/events.htm
http://www.barbecuebattle.com/

Next week we have three public free concerts in Baltimore, including one on July 1 at Inner Harbor (heavy tourist area - with July 4 coming up we should have a good crowd).

One of our horn players has been sick and we may have to find a replacement for him. Hopefully he'll be back on his feet soon. I guess I'll find out at rehearsal tonight.
dcblues
Contributor
Contributor

Postby stumblin » Thu Jun 21, 2007 1:20 pm

Have fun :)
stumblin
Regular

Postby jeffl » Thu Jun 21, 2007 2:23 pm

Go get 'em DCB. Who'd have thunk...? Blues as part of a wholesome family event.....
jeffl
Contributor
Contributor

Postby dcblues » Thu Jun 21, 2007 4:42 pm

Probably about half of the shows we do are family friendly. At those venues, Big Daddy practices some self-censorship and tones down or skips the more risque songs we play.
dcblues
Contributor
Contributor

Postby fat paul » Sat Jun 23, 2007 2:29 pm

We played a BBQ contest on memorial day weekend. The highlight of the day for the band was getting a bunch of free BBQ. It was like a gift from above.
have fun
fat paul
fat paul
Regular

Postby texas blues » Sat Jun 23, 2007 4:08 pm

Fat Paul....why'd you have to go and mention the BBQ? I gotta' go and get some ribs now!!

DC...go kick some butt and have a great time!
texas blues
Regular

Postby leftyguitarman » Sat Jun 23, 2007 8:33 pm

Man, BBQ sounds really really good now. :lol:
leftyguitarman
Regular

Postby 1dustyeod » Mon Jun 25, 2007 12:27 am

I hope everything turns out great for ya. Sounds like a good weekend is planned though. Good luck.... Have a great time.

8)
1dustyeod
Regular

Postby dcblues » Mon Jun 25, 2007 6:06 pm

Saturday was a beautiful day and the gig was outside. We had some serious problems with the sound people - lots of feedback in the beginning of the set, and a couple of vocal mics were not working. We had to stop after the second song and have them fix things. That cut the flow of the set, but the audience liked us and people were dancing.

Sunday was much better, although I had a pretty rough morning. The other guys in the band stopped by my house to pick me up (I'm just north of DC and they're in the Baltimore area, so my place is on the way). I set the alarm for 8:15 so I would have time to eat breakfast and get my stuff together. I accidently set it for 8:15 pm. I woke up to the dogs barking and our sax player at my door. I had to do the Waylon Jennings bus show, shave, get dressed and grab my gig clothes. We made it on time.

We were on pretty early (11:15) so the crowd was pretty light. But the people there got into it, and some of them knew our originals. I brought my Bassman, but the sound guys had a Twin setup and asked me to use that instead. It sounded good, but I know the Bassman better and I prefer using it.

I had two equipment problems this weekend. On Saturday I brought my wireless unit, which I haven't used in years. It worked fine during the sound check, but it stopped working during the first song. It turns out the new battery I put in was a dud or too old. I bought a fresh battery for iy yesterday and now it works.

During yesterday's gig, my C harp had a reed that stopped sounding and one that went flat in the middle of the song (those damn gremlins pick the worst times to mess with my harps)! I always keep spare A, C and Bb harps because that's the key I use the most. I'm glad it didn't happen during one of my instrumentals.

The replacement trumpet player is really good, but he uses charts for everything and sometimes when he has to switch them it adds more time between songs.

I made good money this weekend, had a good time and I have three gigs coming up in the next week. Can't complain.
dcblues
Contributor
Contributor

Return to About Gigs