1st complete tune, I'm stoked

A discussion of techniques, and equipment for guitar. Fretted, bottleneck or slide, acoustic or electric, this is the place.

1st complete tune, I'm stoked

Postby jamesfarrell » Mon Jun 18, 2007 12:14 am

Hey fellas, I'm pretty damn happy. I actually learned a whole song, start to finish and even sing on it. My voice needs a little work. I've only really been singing a week. Planning on perhaps taking a few lessons as I can't seem to keep the same tone consistent with the voice.

I just got tired of nooding around with riffs and want to start playing songs so I can someday play at a club and make a billion dollars. LOL, just kidding. I just want to play out sometime, even if it's for free.

Kevin

Last edited by jamesfarrell on Thu Aug 28, 2008 2:09 am, edited 2 times in total.
jamesfarrell
Regular

Postby texas blues » Mon Jun 18, 2007 12:24 am

Very well done Mr. Farrell! Learn 4 more songs and playem' till your fingers bleed. Meantime start going to open mics and pick up whats going on in your local scene. After a few visits and when you feel comfortable, get your groove on. Don't worry about the audience, just do your thang!
Cheers Bro
texas blues
Regular

Postby grady » Mon Jun 18, 2007 12:43 am

That Tri-Cone sounds great and your playing is spot-on.
grady
Regular

Postby leftyguitarman » Mon Jun 18, 2007 1:29 am

Your guitar sounds great! And your voice is waaaaaaay different from what I was expecting, but I like it!
leftyguitarman
Regular

Postby dabluz » Mon Jun 18, 2007 1:34 am

nice playing
dabluz
Contributor
Contributor

Postby 1four5 » Mon Jun 18, 2007 1:54 am

Mannnnn I like that, don't take singing lessons, I'd hate for ya to screw up a good thing 8)
1four5
Regular

Postby zhyla » Mon Jun 18, 2007 2:10 am

Good job James, your playing sounds pretty good. Your voice is indeed different than we expected - less whiny!!! ;) Keep it up, you're not far from playing a coffee shop I think.
zhyla
Site Admin

Postby slickcat » Mon Jun 18, 2007 2:10 am

That was damn good ....great Job, nice playing and singing!
slickcat
Contributor
Contributor

Postby jamesfarrell » Mon Jun 18, 2007 2:16 am

Thanks guys. I don't much like the way I look on film. Next time I'm putting on my leather blues hat :lol:

I have deep respect for anybody that can play songs and sing. I can't f'n believe how much practice it takes just to memorize 3 lines of a song and play it with music. I had no idea. I literally had to play that song 80 times before I could play it without a mistake.

Not that that is bad, I just was under the misconception that this style of guitar / singing was a lot easier than it is, when I started out a while ago.

Plus filming yourself is pretty butcher too. No producer to help me out :lol:

Kevin
jamesfarrell
Regular

Postby leftyguitarman » Mon Jun 18, 2007 2:41 am

Playing and singing is really hard to do IMO. I can do it with 2 songs. But I dont sing.... I prefer my ears to not bleed.
leftyguitarman
Regular

Postby grumpygroo » Mon Jun 18, 2007 4:20 pm

Wow, there 'aint a whole load wrong with that, sir.
grumpygroo
Regular

Postby jeffl » Mon Jun 18, 2007 5:42 pm

Muy excelente, James! That's a hella good shot for your first one; in fact, it's a good shot at any time. Way to stick to the vintage sound.
jeffl
Contributor
Contributor

Postby bignick » Mon Jun 18, 2007 7:11 pm

Man I can't sing and play for &*(^ yet. I'll figure it out, but I can't get that rythm down.

That was a great job James...seriously. Honestly, for as much as you tell us that you suck, I thought this was going to sound like a toddler beating on a tin pan with a clawhammer.

I was really surprised. Everything was smooth, and you picked a great song. That National sounds sweeeet. Keep that up and quit ragging on yourself. :)
bignick
Regular

Postby jamesfarrell » Mon Jun 18, 2007 7:32 pm

Yeah thanks Nick and crew. Here's the deal. Way back in the heavy metal days, I use to sing. After a couple songs, I asked some folk honestly if I suck. More than a couple people said "yes, you suck"

So there begun the singing complex :lol:

But, the type of music I want to play requires a singer. Every singer I know also plays the guitar. The problem is they can't play the guitar worth a sh*t and wont just sing. So, I'm like "screw it" I'll f'n sing, even if I can't. There's plenty of people out there that sing worse than me :lol:

I know I tend to rag on myself too much. Nothing is ever good enough with me it seems. Everything is like that, not just guitar. But with the guitar, it's become an obsession, which is good and bad.
jamesfarrell
Regular

Postby mickeypainless » Mon Jun 18, 2007 10:19 pm

Well Bro, ya still suck! NOT!
I'm frikkin impressed w/ both the playin and da singin and I agree that singin lessons might just screw up that cool growly voice!
mickeypainless
Contributor
Contributor

Next

Return to Guitar