Geeetar Player Blooze....

Problems, how to get them, favorite songs to play, groupies, funky bar owners, etc. NO names of clubs, please.

Geeetar Player Blooze....

Postby Ozark Bluesman » Sat Apr 28, 2007 6:11 pm

Well, I hate to go off on a rant....but...

I've been trying to put together a new band for about the past 8 months, and have gone thru about 6 geetar players...
Frustration is setting in....
I'm the drummer and I have a very solid bass player...we're both experienced old geezers (52) and we have a young kid (26) who's a very solid rhythm player (electric & acoustic). We're very solid playing together and all sing fairly well...
On the lead guitar player position....geeeeeezzzz...that's another story...

It's been one thing after another. Either the guy decides he "doesn't want to do this much blues" or else it's another issue. Everything from not being motivated enough to show up for practice or just plain developing a bad attitude or having a crappy tone.
Show a drummer really be telling a guitar player his tone sucks? Shouldn't he be able to figure this out for himself? geeez...I just don't get it sometimes...

And for some reason almost all the guitar players I've encountered have some type of substance abuse problem. I'm too old to deal with that crap. I just want to have a simple little 4 piece band playing some good blues and old R&R, with no head games.

yea, maybe this has turned into a rant...sorry guys...
Ozark Bluesman

Postby stratman_27 » Sat Apr 28, 2007 8:01 pm

How the rythmn guys lead playing??? Dont overlook him?
stratman_27
Regular

Postby FunkyStickman » Sat Apr 28, 2007 10:24 pm

If you put your location into your forum profile, you might run across somebody in your area who could help out. "Ozark" covers quite a bit of territory.

Barring that, you could take the money that otherwise would have gone to substance abuse and buy a nice looping station for the kid to play with. Teach him how to use it, and help him develop his soloing, and you might be able to pull it off.
FunkyStickman
Regular

Postby Ozark Bluesman » Sat Apr 28, 2007 11:48 pm

FunkyStickman wrote:If you put your location into your forum profile, you might run across somebody in your area who could help out. "Ozark" covers quite a bit of territory.

Barring that, you could take the money that otherwise would have gone to substance abuse and buy a nice looping station for the kid to play with. Teach him how to use it, and help him develop his soloing, and you might be able to pull it off.

Actually the kid is really solid, he's just not a lead player yet. I thought about maybe looking for some kind of dvd or something about lead guitar technique, or getting him to take a few lessons from someone.
I'll probably put another ad in the paper to see who I can come up with.
Believe it or not, I'm in Branson. It's either all players who come here to be in shows, or wannabe players with a myriad of issues that nobody wants. And darn few who want to plays blues...

I dunno....
maybe a dvd like this would help the guy I already have.
http://www.guitar9.com/learntoplaybluesleaddvd.html
Ozark Bluesman

Postby jellyroll baker » Wed May 02, 2007 8:00 am

Do you really need a lead player?
jellyroll baker
Contributor
Contributor

Postby pentatone » Wed Jun 13, 2007 6:41 am

Ozark Bluesman -

what would you think about integrating a decent harp player instead of a lead guitarist? IMO a harp would give you much more nice tonal and stylistic options than a second guitar.
pentatone
Regular

Postby stratman_27 » Sat Jun 16, 2007 1:53 am

That would be a good suggestion. Maybe a harper that is a good vocalist. That would give your rythmn player time to grow as a lead player.
stratman_27
Regular

Return to About Gigs