Guess I'm a solo act now

Problems, how to get them, favorite songs to play, groupies, funky bar owners, etc. NO names of clubs, please.

Postby oleman » Tue Apr 10, 2007 5:34 pm

Exactly jeffl, my duo currently is turning down gigs because we are so busy, plus having a career, but the combo, 4piece, struggles to even stay together because of lack of gigs. Cheap azz bar owners anyway!
oleman
Regular

Postby stratman_27 » Wed Apr 11, 2007 2:18 am

I think my goal now is to work up a couple sets of solo stuff that I can do by myself, and when I'm playing locally have some folks sit in for a song or two.

Right now I'm doing some recording for some background tracks to play harp and sing with.

I'm really digging playing harp now. I hope I can work it out to play harp on a rack and guitar at the same time, Dylan style.
stratman_27
Regular

Postby jeffl » Wed Apr 11, 2007 1:29 pm

stratman_27 wrote:I think my goal now is to work up a couple sets of solo stuff that I can do by myself, and when I'm playing locally have some folks sit in for a song or two.

Right now I'm doing some recording for some background tracks to play harp and sing with.

I'm really digging playing harp now. I hope I can work it out to play harp on a rack and guitar at the same time, Dylan style.
...of course you can, Stratman. Like anything, you get used to it with practice. If you want a demo of how expressive you can be playin' harp racked, check out Walter Tore's Spontobeat page; Most guys playin' racked sound kinda weak, but Walter manages to play with force and emphasis. BTW, you can get OUT of practice with racked playin' too. I used to play piano with a racked harp all the time in college, and now my rack jus' sits on my piano 'cuz I'm too lazy to put in the time and get my rack chops back.
jeffl
Contributor
Contributor

Postby 601blues » Wed Apr 11, 2007 3:06 pm

The way I use my harp, is on a Mic stand, I used a rack for years and it would get in my way at times, But I use a Stnard harp mic,you slide your harp into it, then I use a large spring type mic holder, and of course into my amp, On the Stnard I wrap it with a cotton Bandana, this really thickins the sound as if I had my hands wraped around it, Along with the epi 5 watter I get that dirty attitude sound!! As you can see in this pic, my rack hangin in the back ground and My harp in the Stnard mic,But I don't have in wraped in this pic, I just recently discovered that secrect!! Image
601blues
Regular

Postby fat paul » Sat Apr 14, 2007 1:36 am

A guitar player and a drumer using a small "coctail kit" can go along way.
Give it a shot and find your own sound. What could it hurt
fat paul
fat paul
Regular

Postby Bournio » Sat Apr 14, 2007 9:00 am

601... I can't figure out your picture... Is Probably last night still wearing off... but is there any chance of having the set up without the rest of the rig in the background? I'm playin racked harp at the mo... is great you can practice as you type!
Bournio
Regular

Postby stratman_27 » Sat Apr 14, 2007 9:45 am

I wouldnt mind finding one of those mics either. I can't seem to find any info on them. Got a link for the mic.
stratman_27
Regular

Postby 601blues » Mon Apr 16, 2007 11:51 am

YUP!! I get them at Harp Depot .com and its the Strnard,
601blues
Regular

Postby 601blues » Mon Apr 16, 2007 11:53 am

Bournio wrote:601... I can't figure out your picture... Is Probably last night still wearing off... but is there any chance of having the set up without the rest of the rig in the background? I'm playin racked harp at the mo... is great you can practice as you type!
Sure!! thats the only pic I had at the moment,but will get a cleared pic for ya!!
601blues
Regular

Postby bluesmcgoo » Mon Apr 16, 2007 3:18 pm

601, that is a very cool harp set-up. I've never seen anything like that.
bluesmcgoo
Contributor
Contributor

Postby 601blues » Mon Apr 16, 2007 5:36 pm

bluesmcgoo wrote:601, that is a very cool harp set-up. I've never seen anything like that.
It works very well for me in a hands on guitar situation, and not havein anything hangin round my neck gettin in the way, and being able to still have that thick honk!! its the only way to Blow!!
601blues
Regular

Previous

Return to About Gigs