I couldn't believe it!!

Problems, how to get them, favorite songs to play, groupies, funky bar owners, etc. NO names of clubs, please.

Postby bigdaddy » Mon Apr 02, 2007 10:27 pm

The gig went good. The bar owners were talkin' with the boss for more shows. The people danced and yelled. Zoton tore up the piano keys and Roboert tore up that guitar. Playing with them two is easy because they are both so good. All I had to do was lay back and keep that bottom end throbbing. On Voodoo Child, Robert went into this long middle. The drummer and I connected on a new thing I started doing on the song just to break things up and it sounded really cool. At the end of Voodoo Child the band rang out the last note and Robert went solo into Star Spangled Banner and the crowd went crazy. He had the bombs going off, the machine guns, everything. I was impressed. Everyone was on their feet and many, me included, hand our right hands over our hearts. It was very moving. I can't wait for Friday the 13th to do it again. I wish these guys would practice but oh well. What it's more like is everyone shows up and jams for 4 hours. Is that how a gig is suppose to be? My last band was well practiced and very tight and precise. I kinda like the "jam" kind of gig.
bigdaddy
Regular

Postby texas blues » Tue Apr 10, 2007 6:40 pm

Big Daddy, there is a cat here in Las Vegas who plays with a band called The Moanin' Blacksnakes. He's supposed to be a keyboard wizard and get this ....his name is Zotan....from Hungary. Same guy? Coinky dinky?
texas blues
Regular

Postby oleman » Tue Apr 10, 2007 9:52 pm

Glad it went well bigdaddy!!
And to address your question about what a gig should be like.....
Every band is different.
Our 4 piece sounds like your band. We seldom rehearse except to learn new material but now we have about a hundred tunes and the memory banks are almost full. Our gigs are almost like performances with the crowd/patrons participating. Lots of interaction with the crowd. If some kid wants to get up and play harp, great. If a drunk woman wants to get up on stage and dance, wonderful! It's all good.

On the other hand, I have played in bands that reminded me of military units; Strict set list, no cutin up on stage, very little improvisation, fragile egos, and I usually don't last to long with that kind of group.

The Blues is about drinkin, dancin and letting go of the workaday, everyday world and havin some fun. At least that is my take on it.
oleman
Regular

Previous

Return to About Gigs