Cool Gig!!

Problems, how to get them, favorite songs to play, groupies, funky bar owners, etc. NO names of clubs, please.

Cool Gig!!

Postby 601blues » Tue Apr 03, 2007 12:35 pm

I live in a very small town, almost like MayBerry, everybody knows everybody,but a beautiful Mississippi hill engulfed town, Columbia Mississippi, once during the civil war was the capitial city of mississippi, and is steeped in rich history, Well we are very excited to have been selected to have a smithsoniain exhibit of Blues and Roots music made avaiable to us in Oct. many larger cities were passed over and we were selected!!!! unbelivable!!!!!Well I was contacted over the weekend to get involved in the plannin stages of the event, so at last nights meeting, I was selected To Head up the show commitie, We will have over a 4 weekend time table, Blues Shows, Bluegrass shows,Gospel shows,and Roots music shows, and also classes on instrument making, as well as cigar box guitars etc. Man My heads a spinning right now we have so much talent here and to get everybody awake and to understand what a great event we have comming is a challenge in its self!!! SUGGESTIONS???
601blues
Regular

Postby dcblues » Tue Apr 03, 2007 1:11 pm

What kind of budget do you have? Are you expected to only book local talent, or will you have some national acts? Will the Smithsonian people have any say in who will be peforming? I've been involved with the DC Blues Festival for over a decade, and that one day event takes a lot of planning.

Sounds like you have a lot of flexibility in what kind of music you'll have.
dcblues
Contributor
Contributor

Postby 601blues » Tue Apr 03, 2007 1:22 pm

:( Geez Iam a dumbass!! I need to set with Ann Simmons, Historic director and get alot more info, but Iam getting all kinds of music
601blues
Regular

Postby jeffl » Tue Apr 03, 2007 1:41 pm

The biggest thing I ever learned about running committees is to learn the strengths and abilities of the people on your committee quickly, to find out if you've got any super good workers with talent, and spread the bulk of the work among your hardest working members. Early on, I tended to take on too many of the tasks myself and that would just cause me to get stressed out,work too hard, and waste the abilities of people more capable than me in some areas. Another thing I learned is that if you have no expertise in the area needed to achieve a task, you may not wanna jus' wing it...try to find somebody who has done it before and succeeded. Remember,they got you for the job to make sure it gets done, NOT to do it all yourself. And if you don't have a committee, I'd make one, or get some help.
jeffl
Contributor
Contributor

Postby 601blues » Wed Apr 04, 2007 12:46 pm

What I think I will do ,is visit other exhibit locations and get an ideal of what they are doing, Right now its in Merdian Mississippi, Iam goin up this weekend to check it out, I have a calender of events,at the studio,I will post the other locations is case someone here can catch it!
601blues
Regular

Return to About Gigs