Corrupting, sorry, influencing new people.

Problems, how to get them, favorite songs to play, groupies, funky bar owners, etc. NO names of clubs, please.

Corrupting, sorry, influencing new people.

Postby maxx england » Tue Mar 20, 2007 1:04 pm

I don't know if I should be posting here or on Hometown.

I recently found out about some local musicians involved in "Community Music", based at our local Baptist church (can someone explain why Baptists keep cropping up when there's music about?), so I stuck my nose round the door. I played a couple of numbers to establish what I could do, and I've been invited to show a couple of interested players what "the Blues is all about" every Monday.

This is a big responsibility for me, I could either turn them off totally or steer them into bad habits, but you never know where it will all end. We have the usual interpretation problems when dealing with a rock or pop background, they are mostly self taught, know little theory and want to fill up all the gaps when you leave the Creative White Space; so there's some education need there before we get onto actual numbers. Anybody got any advice on teaching? I never did this before.

One irritation is that they will be running an event in our local park on 14th July when I will be 250 miles away at a motorcycle race meeting, but that's how life goes.

So that's about it, the next wave of the blues will have a B37 postmark and a tendency to tonic grooves.
maxx england
Contributor
Contributor

Postby allanlummox » Tue Mar 20, 2007 1:58 pm

Explaining the Blues at a Baptist Church?

Does this make you the Devil's Advocate?

'I'm gonna get religion,

join the Baptist Church,

become a preacher

so I won't have to work"
allanlummox
Contributor
Contributor

Postby dcblues » Tue Mar 20, 2007 3:27 pm

Make sure you do som Ac/DC and Danzig covers. :twisted:
dcblues
Contributor
Contributor

Postby jeffl » Tue Mar 20, 2007 4:24 pm

Congrats on opportunity, dcb. It's a noble pursuit. Maybe you could try thinking about some of the ways you learned. Maybe have 'em listen to some snippets of music, and introduce 'em to the sources, especially the online sources and songbook stuff. For example, I got turned on to Rev.Gary Davis thru a guy from my church. Davis's music was spiritual country blues, and it was a small step from the sanctuary. Maybe you could talk one or two of your blues buddies into makin' a guest appearance for you as well, to help keep their attention.
jeffl
Contributor
Contributor

Postby NEONMOONY » Tue Mar 20, 2007 10:46 pm

"Well, I coulda had religion, got this bad ol' thing instead,
all the whiskey and women wouldn't let me pray"
NEONMOONY
Regular

Postby bigdaddy » Tue Mar 20, 2007 11:24 pm

Search the net for Kaiser and Mansfield "Keep Your Lamp Trimmed And Burning". Good slide/harp stuff there. Mansfield also did some electric blues with some dude I think the last name is Miller. From my church back ground much of the blues would be taboo in a church but perhaps you can let Darrel Mansfield help you explain it. Good Christian song subjects and absolute killer blues.
bigdaddy
Regular

Postby grady » Wed Mar 21, 2007 6:02 am

1 -Teach them to "feel" their instrument and the notes coming from it.

2- Teach them how to "Groove" steadily, fast and slow.

3- When that fails, give up.
grady
Regular

Postby maxx england » Sat Apr 28, 2007 10:54 am

Further on from this, I went along to see their "house band" play their pop stuff at an open mike night, they aren't bad for amateurs; I've certainly had to pay to see worse in the past.

That night, I got to do a number with a trumpet player, we went outside to check out what we could do, and this Ricardo bloke walks up and just starts singing over the top of what we were doing. I thought, that'll do me, so we went on when it was my turn, grabbed the house drummer, and laid down Ricardo's Boogie for 10 minutes. Loved it, no stress, got a front man and a lead instrument, all we did at the back was be the engine room.

Nice atmosphere too, everybody knew everybody else and no ego trippers. Brilliant.
maxx england
Contributor
Contributor

Postby grumpygroo » Sat Apr 28, 2007 6:57 pm

Maxx,
Sorry, only just picked up on this thread. About 20 years ago I was living in Hackney, East London, right next door to a Black Gospel church. The music from that place on a Sunday morning was stunning, along with the finery worn by the congregation. I sneeked in for a listen, (High Church Anglican/Episcopalian, myself) for a couple of weeks before I got chatting to the people there. Ended up sitting in the pub down the road with 3 guys from the choir. Mentioned that I liked Blues and the 3 of them broke into a wonderful version of Stormy Weather. If your people are into Gospel music, and a lot of Baptist are, they will surely know about the Blues, they come from the same place. One's sacred, one's secular but they start together and take a different route to your ears.

Sounds like you had a good experience with the trumpet player. In my experience they always play too loud and in B flat :cry: :cry: . Well maybe I've just met the wrong trumpet players. :shock:
grumpygroo
Regular

Postby FunkyStickman » Sat Apr 28, 2007 10:12 pm

grumpygroo wrote:If your people are into Gospel music, and a lot of Baptist are, they will surely know about the Blues, they come from the same place. One's sacred, one's secular but they start together and take a different route to your ears.

Okay, I'm going to fess up here... I'm Baptist, been playing in churches since I was 17. I totally feel anybody's pain with having to work with uneducated musicians... but then again, somebody who's been playing weekly for years may know more about music theory than some gigging musicians I know. It all just depends. They're people, just like everybody else... I know quite a few who are there just to play on Sundays.

A lot of the music we play comes out of Nashville, written by guys like Paul Balloche, and ranges from Nashville, to Southern Rock, to some black gospel every now and then. Not to mention the really nice ballads!

I brought my new harp mic and harps to practice this week... played a bit for our music guy (who's younger than myself, but plays fantastic cut capo guitar) and his eyes lit up like it was Christmas. Looks like we'll be doing some numbers with 'em soon!

In all fairness, people who play only in churches will not know certain things about gigging "etiquitte." They don't think of it as a "band" and don't treat it as such. I've done both, and most of the people in our group have as well, so we have a really good rapport and can pull off some really nice arrangements of what would otherwise be boring songs. Start off with "Well, normally when a band plays a song like this, they'll do such-and-such" and just inform them there's more than one way of doing things.

By all means, spread the love and the music.
FunkyStickman
Regular

Postby maxx england » Thu May 17, 2007 2:27 pm

Further along: the operation uses the church facilities to rehearse, but is actually to do with council funded community well being. Oliver Collenet who runs it is also engaged in organising sports, theatre, that kind of thing.

Played at one event already, this was to do with a mental health charity (yes, yes, I felt right at home, you would have too), good vibe and a great night.
maxx england
Contributor
Contributor

Postby maxx england » Tue Jun 19, 2007 12:17 pm

More movement: all the participants in this community thing have been asked to a, name an existing number in the list for arrangement/adaptation/performance their way and b, name one number from outside to take the music onwards and expand abilities and horizons.

So, I'm going to try to get Honky Tonk Women, which they do fairly pubrock standard, cleaner and, gawd help us, more "country". Then we do a major scale Red House, maybe even a little jazzy. You got to stretch their minds while you have the chance. And perhaps get them wanting to understand a little bit of theory, so whatever anyone goes on to do, they will have a bit of know how with them.

And here's the odd thing, I could use it as an excuse to go whanging the slide up and down the neck, but I'm actually feeling happy at the prospect of standing back and guiding the song, rather than playing it. Funny how life turns out.
maxx england
Contributor
Contributor

Postby maxx england » Thu Jun 21, 2007 9:56 am

The H T Women was inspired by Youtube, a Saturday Jam at Kitt's Musique in Montreal; they did several things, but my favourite was that one, just because it was so laid back, relaxed.

So we tried it last night, no bass, one singer, clean Strat slide, clean Les Paul and a "warm-ish" tone SG and the drummer just laid down an old, steady rolling freight train beat. Worked, we now have an arrangement

All I have to do now is get Red House to have a T Bone feel. Tha's going to be fun.
maxx england
Contributor
Contributor

Postby maxx england » Wed Jul 11, 2007 3:09 pm

As is so typical, the band fell apart, personalities etc etc etc, but at least I got to meet people outside of it, so onwards and upwards we go again.
maxx england
Contributor
Contributor

Postby maxx england » Tue Oct 09, 2007 11:17 am

Still doing it, learning more myself than I'm passing on. It's done wonders for the melodic side, trying to find riffs/fills/solos to go with all these pop type things they do; and then that Old Mojo creeps in, and you see the eyes light up and the dance muscles kick in. You can't buy those moments.
maxx england
Contributor
Contributor

Next

Return to About Gigs