Hep cats and hot dawgs.

A forum devoted to the discussion of playing bass with the blues.

Postby houndog » Tue Feb 20, 2007 7:30 am

Iceman,
e-mail me and let's do lunch 8)

arf,
Lovat
houndog
Regular

Postby houndog » Mon Feb 26, 2007 6:17 pm

houndog
Regular

Postby houndog » Tue Feb 27, 2007 10:19 pm

Ah---hem ..

....pay some attention youse lot.:P :P I have been playing bass for under 6 months and the 4 piece I am is cited as a recommended cd by a real blues mag.

I thank youse, :lol:
dawg

Reviewers' Picks (UK and UK-based artists)

Here is a selection of recently released albums that received top marks from Blues In Britain reviewers:

Dave Arcari: Come With Me... (Buzz)
The Barcodes: With Friends Like These (Note-Records)
Sonny Black: The Corner Seat (Free Spirit)
Big Boy Bloater & His Southside Stompers: What You Been Prayin' For? (Bloat)
Johnny Dickinson: Hilo Town (Hard Road)
Kris Dollimore: 02/01/1978 (Sun Pier)
Chris Farlowe At Rockplast (Inacustik CD & DVD)
Forster King Band: Keep The Music Playing
Gentleman Tim & the Contenders: Left Hook To The Blues (Ring-A-Ding)
J.C. & Angelina Grimshaw: Broken Hearted Blues (Village Bike)
The Gramophone Party: It Happened In June (Village Bike)
Otis Grand: Hipster Blues (Bliss Street)
Wake Up Little Mama, it's Harmonica Mac & the Groovecats (Coolcat)
Mike Harrison: Late Starter (Halo)
Giles Hedley & the Aviators: Wake Up, It's Nearly Dark
Steve Hooker: Stagger Lee Is Back (NVCD)
Barb Jungr: Walking In The Sun (Linn)
King Earl Boogie Band: Loaded & Live (KEBB)
King Pleasure & The Biscuit Boys: Hey, Puerto Rico (Big Bear)
Samuel C Lees Band: Big Mann (Blues Matters!)
Pete Mitchell: Cutting The Mustard (Stratmaster)
Simon Prager: Shuckin' Sugar
Martin Pugh & Stan Ruffo: No Pork Tonight (Sho'Nuff)
The Michael Roach Band: I Betcha! (Stella)
Daniel Smith: So Low Boogie (Pinetops)
Doc Span: Something For The Pain (Little Diablo Music)
Pete Thomas: Mr Lucky (Mermaid)
Abram Wilson: Ride! Ferris Wheel To The Modern Day Delta (Dune)
houndog
Regular

Postby ricochet » Tue Feb 27, 2007 11:17 pm

Way to go, Dawg! You've marked your territory.
ricochet
Regular

Postby hashtaff » Tue Feb 27, 2007 11:18 pm

Like I allready told you Dawg, you guys SMOKE

Glad to see your talent being duly recognised.

Have a ball, mate.
hashtaff
Contributor
Contributor

Postby houndog » Wed Feb 28, 2007 6:23 pm

Thanks Taffy and Rico,
I can happily trot aff to my basket and stop whining now :D

adios,
Lovat
houndog
Regular

Postby houndog » Fri Mar 16, 2007 6:46 pm

blues in the north west

CD REVIEWS

Harmonica Mac & The Groovecats
(promo)

After some three years together top Scottish blues band Harmonica Mac & The Groovecats present us with an excellent taster of what they are all about – a blend of traditional Chicago, with lashing of fine West Coast swing – inspired by the likes of Hollywood Fats, William Clarke and Rod Piazza.

The band consist of Harmonica Mac (vocals and harmonica), Kev Parr (guitar), ‘Kid’ Davidson (drums) and ‘Hound Dog’ Fraser (bass), and a generous 14 tracks highlight all the musicians – with Mac’s fine harmonica to the fore, and Kev Parr laying down some fine retro-style guitar, with that Junior Watson, Hollywood Fats feel, with the tight rhythm section pushing it all along.

A mix of the band’s own tunes and some choice covers see the band swinging on “Wake Up Little Mama” and “That Crazy Woman!”, both self-penned, with the slow “Dancin’ Girl” featuring a lovely laid-back solo from Parr.

Other treats include Willie Dixon’s “Too Late” and a couple of fine harmonica workouts – “Soul Feet” and the chromatic romp, “Crazy Chrom” – good stuff indeed, showing what a good player Harmonica Mac is, obviously inspired by greats such as George Smith and William Clarke.

It’s been a good while for a really good blues band to come out of Scotland – probably Blues ‘n’ Trouble – and these guys are certainly worth checking out if they come your way – look out for the official release, although they do have a six-tracker available with some different tracks.

The band have a couple of dates south of the border at Oliver’s Bar, Burnley on 6th April (part of the Burnley Blues Festival) and at The Tyne Bar, Newcastle on 8th July. For more info checkout http://www.thegroovecats.co.uk or e-mail info@thegroovecats.co.uk. Thanks to the band for the promo!

GRAHAME RHODES
houndog
Regular

Postby bluesmcgoo » Fri Mar 16, 2007 7:19 pm

H-Dawg!

Many cudos and congrats to you! This is what happens when a person puts all that "Houndogic Logic" to work for themselves.

It's well deserved, and I couldn't be happier for you.

"Arf, arf!"
bluesmcgoo
Contributor
Contributor

Postby houndog » Sun Mar 18, 2007 10:23 am

Thanks Blues Mac,
nice to hear from you...last I saw you,you posted a pic of your beauuutiful partner..then we never saw you again 'til now :wink:

Playing bass is great fun for the more mature gent..less strings to play with :D

arf arf,
Lovat
houndog
Regular

Postby houndog » Tue Mar 27, 2007 1:10 pm

Well, ahh...here is ahhh...ummm..review..kind of thing...

adios,
Lovat

Wake Up Lil mama...it's Harmonica Mac and The Groovecats.
(Coolcat 0000135)

So here..is a CD from Scotland's undisputed top Blues band.Apparently! Initially , this might cause you to wonder whether much debate takes pace in Scotland. But that would be uncharitable . Scotland's might not be my bag, oor , rather sporran - but I know what I like.

That I like is all that needs revealing . I men , the name gives the rest away, blues played at a swinging lilt with a heavy emphasis on the mouth organ. This of-abused instrument , when Mac,aka Ian McInally, gets his teeth into it , sings with the grace of the dawn chorus and emotes with the range and impact of a Shakespearean actor on review night.

This lengthy debut features a multi-coloured tapestry of original numbers interspersed with lusty blues standards.
The siren song is "Dancing Girl"and is one of the originals.. It starts off at a slow drawl , the guitar strings bending like willows in a gale , the harp adds to the moodiness, plaintively wailing with all the expression of a reality TV racist denying her prejudice, the crescendo , slow and yet powerful is brilliant in its understatement.

Somewhat like the album , through which only the most cloth eared philistine would choose to sleep.

Ratings: 8- Johnathan Blackstaffe. Blues in Britain.
houndog
Regular

'cats at Burnley Blues Fest/ Times review

Postby houndog » Sun Apr 15, 2007 12:28 am

From The Times
April 11, 2007
Burnley National Blues Festival
David Sinclair at Burnley

If it is Easter in the North of England, it is time for the Burnley Blues Festival. Now in its nineteenth year, the festival and its expanding fringe hosted an estimated 15,000 people over the weekend, attracted by acts all eager to parade their particular version of three chords and the truth. Walking down Church Street on Friday night was a bit like being in Austin, Texas — a band in every bar and a drink in every hand. Here, guitar trios with names such as Tin Pan Alley and Tony Dowler’s Hellhounds were the norm, their repertoires built around blues-rock standards such as La Grange and Rock Me Baby .

The nerve centre of the event was the Mechanics theatre. Here bands performed continuously both downstairs in Oliver’s Bar and upstairs in the main 450-capacity auditorium. Big guitar solos may have been the calling card of the modern blues era, but this was the year of the harmonica star. From the feelgood western swing grooves of Harmonica Mac and the Groovecats in the downstairs bar to the muscular gutbucket blues of the Californian star Johnny Mastro & Mama’s Boys on the big stage, the harp heroes were everywhere.

But none was more startling than Sugar Blue, who headlined the main stage on Saturday. Best known outside blues circles for his contribution to the Rolling Stones record Miss You , Blue is one of the vituoso players of this deceptively simple instrument. Indeed, his playing was at times more like a bop jazz musician than a blues blower, mixing influences from Charlie Parker to James Cotton as he skated with incredible speed and fluency across the upper register.

But for all the high velocity musicianship on offer it was the authentic R&B tunes and old-school showmanship of Earl Thomas and the Blues Ambassadors that stole the show on Saturday. Thomas, a latterday Otis Redding from Tennessee, performed brilliantly. He brought on the aptly named Hornettes, a two-woman horn section who performed a version of Etta James’s I’d Rather Go Blind during which time stood still.

http://entertainment.timesonline.co.uk/ ... 636840.ece
houndog
Regular

Postby houndog » Thu May 31, 2007 6:48 pm

Hello,
a review from my old pal and sparring partner Blueswriter :D

adios,
Lovat

Harmonica Mac & The Groovecats
Wake Up Lil' Mama... it's Harmonica Mac & The Groovecats
Self-produced CD (2007)

14 tracks, 67 minutes, excellent. It's a true pleasure getting material of this sort in the mail. While folks on the US side of the big pond may not have a chance to see this band 'live' anytime soon, those holding residence in the UK should be in for a treat. The Groovecats are led by Ian McInally, whose harp and vocal work is squarely rooted in the immediate Post-war era of Chicago and the West Coast, and as Harmonica Mac he gets plenty of solid backing from his Groovecats;
Kevin Parr (guitar), Lovat "Houndog" Fraser (bass), and Andrew "Kid" Davidson (drums). Four of the disc's fourteen tracks are band originals and the crew acquits themselves especially well on That Crazy Woman, which comes straight out of Chicago's southside where McInally berates his woman for not liking Sonny Boy - heady stuff! Mac's own Dancin' Girl and the instrumental Crazy Chrom hold up well next to solid readings of Little Walter's Too Late and My Babe, Sonny Boy's Mighty Long Time, and a trio of George Smith tracks; Red Dress, Oopin' Doopin' Doopin' and Soul Feet. Like many initial releases from blues bands today, the Groovecats want their talent to shine across the board, and a better way to accomplish that on their next project is to avoid the overly common practice of too many songs featuring both harmonica and guitar solos. The strengths present in Mac's harp work and Parr's guitar playing both stand well enough on their own. As a rhythm section, Fraser and Davidson are tighter than a frog's booty (as Muddy used to say). Harmonica Mac & The Groovecats turn in a strong first effort and here's hoping their sophomore release (in the works) will deliver even more.

Email: Info@thegroovecats.co.uk

© 2007 by Craig Ruskey
houndog
Regular

Postby houndog » Wed Jul 04, 2007 7:36 pm

Hello,
played a hot set on sat, good groove and humid ..a bit louder than I would have liked but the bar crowd was about 400 big and it needed some whump. 8)

adios,
Lovat

houndog
Regular

Postby houndog » Tue Jul 24, 2007 5:16 pm

Hello Hep cats and cool kitties,
here is a couple of Youtube flix from Sunday of the 'cats. (Youtube > harmonica Mac and The Groovecats)

Note the funki ol dawg at the back :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aTpArPMaSUA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nmi6v3YHuWc

adios,
Lovat
houndog
Regular

Postby ricochet » Wed Jul 25, 2007 4:07 am

You got it goin' there, Dawg! :D
ricochet
Regular

PreviousNext