I couldn't believe it!!

Problems, how to get them, favorite songs to play, groupies, funky bar owners, etc. NO names of clubs, please.

I couldn't believe it!!

Postby bigdaddy » Sat Mar 10, 2007 12:04 am

Last night, 03/08/07, my band played a talent showcase at a local University here in my home town. The guitarist attends this college. He has talked about a good piano player he met at college joining us on gigs. This band has only practiced twice and the piano player doesn't attend practices. Well the night had it's variety of classical piano, guitar, cello sort of stuff. They were good. Just before we took the stage this tall, lanky fellow about 25 years old wearing a suit with messed up hair came and sat by us. I was told he was the piano man. We opened with Pride and Joy. Robert, who's a killer guitarist, said take it Zootaun (that's right, this piano cats name is Zootaun, cool huh?) well Zootaun went into this incredible piano solo. The best I've ever heard. The audience got quiet although everyones mouth was wide open. After the solo the people scream and whistled. Then Robert solo'd and the crowd was in awe. We played 5 songs with Zootaun bringing down the house every time. This young man cooked on boogie woogie blues piano. After we finished the crowd asked for one more song. We left them with a slow soulful blues song in their heads. Zootaun got up and came over to me and I told him I was a fan. I asked if he was going to do our upcoming shows and he said yes. The dude grew up in Germany and Sweden, his father was a blues pianist and all Zootaun has ever known is playing blues piano. I honestly felt bleessed to have been part of that event. We talked with the crowd after the show and got nothing but "you guys are incredible" stuff. I know I got to play with a blues piano genius. An extreme talent. Zootaun was very humble and freindly. A real nice guy. The whole event just rings thru my memory. I haven't seen anyone other than Lucky Petersen play like that. I'm excited for our next show just to hear this cat play again.
bigdaddy
Regular

Postby texas blues » Sat Mar 10, 2007 1:01 am

With a name like "Zootaun" he has to be good. Hell, if I got to play with a cat that good he could call himself " Voltare..Sparks O' Lightnin'" for all I care. Good on you guys and hope you get to kick it again.
texas blues
Regular

Postby bosco » Mon Mar 12, 2007 12:22 pm

That's cool Big D.

You've had your share of ups and downs in music, you were due for a good break. I'd ride that kid's coat tails as far as you can.

Bosco
bosco
Contributor
Contributor

Postby bigdaddy » Mon Mar 12, 2007 9:29 pm

I got his name wrong. It's Zoton. He's heading back to Germany for the summer but I have 3 gigs lined up so far with him. I hope he comes back in the fall. Skinny Bob is a fantastic guitar player in his own right but the two of them together is quite a show. I've been telling all my friends about the gigs and telling them they should come. I'm excited about getting on stage with this band again. I feel like the amature in the band but I am working hard to catch up. The drummer, Darren Ewing also sides in movies. He was one of the main actors in "Troll 2." He's currently doing bit parts here and there. I feel very fortunate to be in this band. Ogden City ain't got that many people and to have this talent. Skinny Bob told me we are not going to be in these bars very long before we start hitting the larger clubs in Salt Lake and around. I'm nervous but ready.
bigdaddy
Regular

Postby stratman_27 » Mon Mar 12, 2007 9:45 pm

Lucky you, piano players are tough to find around here to play any kind of music much less blues. Get some recordings with this guy.
stratman_27
Regular

Postby jeffl » Mon Mar 12, 2007 10:04 pm

That is super cool,Bigdaddy! Stuff like that is why we play,ain't it? It's really rare when a guy can walk right up and jump in with ya', unless you're playin' in a circle of very accomplished veterans. Whose piano was he playin'...?
jeffl
Contributor
Contributor

Postby bigdaddy » Mon Mar 12, 2007 10:24 pm

It was a full grand piano that the college had there. I asked him if he had an electric piano and he said yeah. I then asked if he was gonna gig with us and he said yeah. I'd like to get this cat into the studio but I'll wait until he gets back if he does come back. Skinny Bob and the Blue Dogs is a trio, this piano dude is just a bonus.
bigdaddy
Regular

Postby oleman » Mon Mar 12, 2007 11:11 pm

As Bosco said, hang with this guy as long as you can. This business has precious few real breaks and tieing your wagon to real talent is no sin.
Good on ya, bigdaddy!!
oleman
Regular

Postby bigdaddy » Tue Mar 13, 2007 9:13 pm

We have gigs lined up at the local biker bar here in my town but the big one in Salt Lake City requires at least four people in the band. Is that odd or does it happen to you all? I guess they want a full sound. That would exclude Stevie Ray, ZZ Top.
bigdaddy
Regular

Postby bosco » Wed Mar 14, 2007 1:17 pm

I've never heard of a venue having a minimum band member requirement, but there are places around here that pay a flat fee per man to try and discourage power trios. That way bands are compensated for the added entertainment value if they have 5 or 6 members.

Bosco
bosco
Contributor
Contributor

Postby jeffl » Wed Mar 14, 2007 2:38 pm

Maybe they had too many novice shredders playin' in 3-piece bands and decided to take a different tack.
jeffl
Contributor
Contributor

Postby bluesmcgoo » Wed Mar 14, 2007 3:09 pm

THat's a great story BigDaddy. Playing with great players can do nothing but improve everyone's musicianship. That's just the way it works. Osmosis maybe?

And about this minimum number of band members thing. I have never come across anything like that. Coming up with schemes like the paying per band member thing doesn't make sense if the goal is to discourage power trios. If you don't want a band...ANY band...to play in a club you own, just don't hire them.

Simple.

And what does that say about solo performers? I suppose solo performers are totally off the radar in a place like that, though. :)
bluesmcgoo
Contributor
Contributor

Postby oleman » Wed Mar 28, 2007 5:14 pm

bosco wrote:I've never heard of a venue having a minimum band member requirement, but there are places around here that pay a flat fee per man to try and discourage power trios. That way bands are compensated for the added entertainment value if they have 5 or 6 members.

Bosco

Apparently ASCAP has rules that depending on the size of the bar [seats] determines the size of the band. Ours is a maximum requirement.

The owners of the bar where we are the house band; limit us to a duo.
Yes, it is a tiny place attached to a restaurant with it being standing room only at 25. Sometimes the patrons are sitting on our amps. Very intimate to say the least!! We love it!!
oleman
Regular

Postby bigdaddy » Fri Mar 30, 2007 6:32 pm

Tonight, 03/30/07, is the first gig with the new band. We did that college thing a few weeks ago but this is the first 4 hour paid show. I can't wait to hear that guitar player and that piano player tear up the place. On April 13th and 14th we play a local biker bar. The piano man won't be there on the 13th so it'll be the trio. I'm jazzed about that also. I did buy a new MIM Precison last weekend and have been adjusting it for me. It's done and I use it for the very first time tonight. That MIM plays better and much more solid than the custom Squire. The Squire seems a bit flimsy although with the blade pickup and pots I put in it , it does have a sweet deep tone. My oldest son is taking that bass. I can't wait to crank it up. I'll let ya all know how it goes. Peace.
bigdaddy
Regular

Postby bluesmcgoo » Fri Mar 30, 2007 7:14 pm

Good luck and have fun!
bluesmcgoo
Contributor
Contributor

Next

Return to About Gigs