Hi from Glastonbury, UK

Required: Just registered? Give us a short introduction. You won't be able to post anywhere else until you have an approved post here.

Everything else -- questions, comments, observations -- should find a home in the other forums.

Hi from Glastonbury, UK

Postby vomer » Wed Mar 07, 2007 11:18 pm

HI all. Just joined the forum, looking forward to asking lots of enthusiastic newbie questions :D . I'm rediscovering my love of the blues after many years of hardly playing guitar at all, and being diverted by other influences. But along with 50's rock 'n' roll, blues is where the heart is.

I've just taken the fairly scary step of jamming with a couple of guys! In a rehearsal room... the next big step will be the local pub blues jam....

I love my '83 Squier Strat and my '73 Epiphone EA250, my Peavey Encore valve amp, and my missus who looks cute learning to play the bass.

Influences are all the Kings, Albert Collins, Clapton, and Big Bill Broonzy on the acoustic side. Looking forward to Johnny Winter playing here in April.

In my day job I'm an osteopath but I reckon I might ditch that when the music takes off.... :D

Cheers, Paul
vomer
Regular

Postby jeffl » Wed Mar 07, 2007 11:26 pm

Welcome to the pile here; and don't worry about being a sociopath-- we got lots of 'em here.
jeffl
Contributor
Contributor

Postby vomer » Wed Mar 07, 2007 11:30 pm

You don't know how true that is... biker too... :D
vomer
Regular

Postby ricochet » Wed Mar 07, 2007 11:30 pm

Hi, Paul, welcome!

I saw your profile when you signed up. I'm what you guys call an "allopath," but I think it's time to start a new field of Psychopathic Medicine.

'50s (and '40s) rock and roll is great stuff! Have you ever checked out the "Rock Before Elvis" site? Used to be http://hoyhoy.com/ and I think that'll get you a link to the new address. I've got the two compilation CDs on my iPod and have been listening to them a bunch. Great stuff indeed!
ricochet
Regular

Postby mickeypainless » Thu Mar 08, 2007 2:44 am

Welcome to da Road Paul!
mickeypainless
Contributor
Contributor

Postby 1four5 » Thu Mar 08, 2007 2:52 am

Hi Paul...you lucky dude...I can see it now, "Honey I want a new guitar"..."Not until I get my new Bass" 8)
1four5
Regular

Postby stumblin » Thu Mar 08, 2007 7:17 am

Ayup, welcome aboard :)
I haven't been to Glastonbury since the year after the big fence went up!
Those Squier strats are appreciating hugely in financial value, so I'm told.
Keep hold of it though, they're great guitars once you've put a five-way switch in.
stumblin
Regular

Postby vomer » Thu Mar 08, 2007 10:52 pm

Thanks guys, good to be welcomed aboard. Ricochet, rock before elvis sounds right up my musical street, just been listening to some 1956 Buddy Holly from a new compilation called Hollybilly. But... the link took me to 'yobabes.com' !!!!! Interesting but...

Stumblin, my Squier is the SQ, the three bolt large headstock model. Not fetching quite the prices of the JVs but still OK. Ash & maple, lovely unplugged tone, just ordered a Callaham steel block, looking for more sustain and amped tone.

1four5, I've told her she can't have another till she can play that one :D . Mind you, on that basis I'd still have my kazoo.....
vomer
Regular

Postby vomer » Thu Mar 08, 2007 11:01 pm

Ricochet, that link needed a www. in front of it and it directed me to http://www.hyzercreek.com/hoyhoy/

Great site, thanks! Good rockin'..... :D
vomer
Regular

Postby ricochet » Fri Mar 09, 2007 1:04 am

Yeah, I just rediscovered that for myself. Again, here's the updated "Rock Before Elvis site, which is well worth spending a lot of time on:

http://www.hyzercreek.com/hoyhoy/
ricochet
Regular

Postby leftyguitarman » Sat Mar 10, 2007 9:46 pm

Welcome!
leftyguitarman
Regular

Postby maxx england » Mon Mar 12, 2007 12:37 pm

vomer wrote:You don't know how true that is... biker too... :D

So you into cruiser/custom or sporting stuff? I'm away from racing small stuff for a year, to get over this mashed up leg (tried to unscrew me foot, don't work). There's a few of us in here, Ricochet is bionic after lobbing a Harley up the road.

Look forward to more from you. And when is us Brits going to get together at least for an acoustic knees up?
maxx england
Contributor
Contributor

Postby grumpygroo » Tue Mar 13, 2007 2:05 am

Hey Vomer, welcome to the road, man. 'Nuther biker huh. Gave up biking 20 years ago myself, fell of once too often :? :?

If anybody's got any serious ideas (comfy beds, good beer, good food, etc. etc) about where we Brits could meet up, count me in!!

Comfy beds??, I get my bus pass next year, these things are important to us olduns.

Welcome Vomer
grumpygroo
Regular

Postby maxx england » Tue Mar 13, 2007 12:23 pm

Going to be down in Abingdon for one week this summer, know any place that will let us sit down, make a noise & get relaxed?

And Vomer, where is this pub? Got any Black Bull? Dunkerton's? GL?
maxx england
Contributor
Contributor

Postby ricochet » Tue Mar 13, 2007 1:55 pm

Abingdon? That's about 15 miles north of me! :D
ricochet
Regular

Next

Return to A Bit About You