Am I Wrong????

Problems, how to get them, favorite songs to play, groupies, funky bar owners, etc. NO names of clubs, please.

Am I Wrong????

Postby 601blues » Tue Feb 06, 2007 2:16 pm

:shock: Let me explain the situation, a few weeks back, I had a guitar player workin with me, and I replaced him, any way during that time at a show, after a break he asked if a friend of his could do a song with us, I reluctantly agreed, The guy was an OK guitarist But did not really fit into my style so after the 1 song there was another and another!! I finially had ta ask him nicely to step down and let us continue Our set, after that show I heard him talkin to the club owner about lettin him do some gigs there, !!! This ticked me off I felt as if the Jerk was using my Band for his audition!!! Now I have not seen him again until last Saturday night, To be honest I didn't really spot him it the crowd, until after our last Break had 45min left to play the band took the stage, my bass player pointed behind me I turned around and ther the guy was!!! with a guitar in his hand, said my guitar player Joel said he could take his place for a song, !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Man I didn't know what ta say the club was packed and we had a groove goin,and I didn't wanna start anything so I kicked into some BB King!! The guy was a total show off and his only interest was to show how good he could play and just overpowered everyone!!!We finished the song I thanked him and asked for the crowd ta give him a hand,and he was takin off the guitar,WHEN MY DAM GUITAR PLAYER SHOUTED!!!! play the sky is crying!!!!Boy he snached the guitar back up and started wailin away!! After I got him off the stage I was pissed off!! and finished the night !!After the show as I was loading up he was up in the owners face again makin plans to get his own band and wantin to play some shows!!MY SHOWS!!! I had to cut in to get the owner ta give me our pay!!! I started to fire My guitar player right then but decided to cool off and think about it a couple days, and try to explain my stand on lettin someone up on the stage, we are not an open mic night!!!
601blues
Regular

Postby stumblin » Tue Feb 06, 2007 3:22 pm

I don't like letting people sit in on gigs.
The way I see it is I don't ask to sit in while other people are doing their jobs.
Enthusiasm's great, but I like to flatter myself that there's a bit more to it than just jamming.
stumblin
Regular

Postby allanlummox » Tue Feb 06, 2007 3:46 pm

Yea, that kind of thing can be a REAL pain in the butt.

Times that I've had a band working, my whole deal with "sitting in" has been - harmonica players, talk to me well in advance and I may get you up onstage.

For a few songs.

Anybody else - sorry kids, it's our gig, I have a set list planned out, we're being payed to do our show, you know how it is. And if ya don't know - well, that's why we don't need your help onstage.

If you act really focused and professional, the little Jammers get intimidated. Some of them may say some unpleasant things about you - but at least you're not providing them with a PA to make you look bad over.
allanlummox
Contributor
Contributor

Postby mickeypainless » Tue Feb 06, 2007 5:46 pm

I'm not a workin musician however I had a young man working as a tech for me and he was also getting in some apprenticeship hours and one day I was off lookin at a horse w/ one of the riders and when I came back he was lay'n on the schmooze to the ranch owner about how when he finished school he'd come back and give him a "good deal" on his horses! Fortunately the owner was a long time client and honorable businessman and told the kid that he was gonna have to earn his way up the ladder just as I had then told me what happened and that I should watch my back around the kid! Needless to say I fired him, and put in a word with some of my colleagues that were on the testing board and to my knowledge the kid still hasn't past his boards! :twisted:
So yeah 601, I think it's chicken sh*t and I'd be a bit outta joint over it too!
mickeypainless
Contributor
Contributor

Postby songdog » Tue Feb 06, 2007 5:51 pm

Hey 601, if it's your band and you do the hiring and firing just tell your new guitar player that you don't work that way. Let him know that your paid gigs are not an open mic night but, if by chance, you decide to let somebody sit in with the band you want at least 24 hours notice.

But, it sounds like this guy is definitely using you to get his foot in the door so I would just say NO MORE.
songdog
Contributor
Contributor

Postby 601blues » Tue Feb 06, 2007 6:28 pm

:? Well Iam still going to take my amp up too Meridian Mississippi Friday for repair, So My Guitar Player Joel called last night ta see if he could ride with me, I told him be at my place at 5:30am its a 2 hour ride and wanna be there when the shop opens at Peavey, However I could tell he was feelin me out,ta see if I was ticked, I will wait and talk with him about the issue then, He might jump outta the truck, I just hope Iam goin real fast!!NOOO! Not really, However I know there is some mature players here, and will understand What I mean, Iam not interested in being a bar band Iam doing my own orginials, and some covers , but my focus is on 601 orginials and puttin together a group of success oreniated players, Iam plannin a europe tour, as well as national Blues Festivials, that I have been invited to do, but turned down due to not havin a live performing band, I did a europe tour with Roots Time in 02, using local players to back me it was ok, but I want a tight groove cuttin rythym section, to go next time, so Its a difficult thing too find players that can step to the plate.Iam at the age I have no time to fool around, Its time to get to It!!
601blues
Regular

Postby texas blues » Tue Feb 06, 2007 6:58 pm

601, it sounds like you are gettin' it together and things are rollin' well for you. Hopefully your guitar player issues will get resolved. If it were me and I had things lined up as you say you do, I would probably opt to find someone with a more professional attitude. You guitar guy should already know not to pull that shitake. Shitake can him I would. Good on ya' and good luck!
texas blues
Regular

Postby jeffl » Tue Feb 06, 2007 8:10 pm

601,it wuz rude of both those guys,but the main responsibility lies with your guy; it's up to him to check with you and not to take anything for granted. I get asked up with alotta bands, and I always make sure that I'm talkin' with the bandleader,not anybody else, and that it's OK with EVERYBODY. Even if the bandleader invites me up,if I find out that even one of the sidemen doesn't want me up there, I will tell the bandleader that I would prefer not to play under those circumstances, and will only go up if the bandleader says not to worry about the dissenter. I've never had a problem,and I've always been invited up over and over by the same bands. Even though sometimes I feel like I'm intruding, they always remind me how much fun it is to play with a harper who knows what he's doing (for a change). The gig is the bandleader's, and ANYTHING that gets in the way of the set flow, or detracts from the show is not acceptable.
jeffl
Contributor
Contributor

Postby houserocker » Tue Feb 06, 2007 11:06 pm

Hey 601, I grew up in Meridian, do you live close by?

http://www.thehouserockers.net
houserocker
Contributor
Contributor

Postby 601blues » Tue Feb 06, 2007 11:42 pm

houserocker wrote:Hey 601, I grew up in Meridian, do you live close by?

YUP!! I live about 2 hrs south between Columbia and Hattiesburg!! Mississippi, you still live in sisippi?????
601blues
Regular

Postby houserocker » Wed Feb 07, 2007 12:24 am

Hi 601, no I live down in Fla. now but still visit frequently. We always stop in Hattiesburg to visit my wifes aunt who lives there, I will try to look you up next time we are in the area, maybe we could get together and jam some. My old band still plays every Satuurday night in Jackson.

houserocker
Contributor
Contributor

Postby houserocker » Wed Feb 07, 2007 12:33 am

Went to college at USM.

houserocker
Contributor
Contributor

Postby 601blues » Wed Feb 07, 2007 12:42 pm

houserocker wrote:Hi 601, no I live down in Fla. now but still visit frequently. We always stop in Hattiesburg to visit my wifes aunt who lives there, I will try to look you up next time we are in the area, maybe we could get together and jam some. My old band still plays every Satuurday night in Jackson.

Man I must know you !! I have jammed with the house rockers several times over the years, with Jackie Bell, Abdual, and Bull on bass, I know you know my sax Player ,Lil Mac, he has played with the houserockers a bunch, Leon Jenkins the B3 player, and ironing board Sam!! Lavon Lindsey, at the subway!! Small world!!
601blues
Regular

Postby 601blues » Wed Feb 07, 2007 1:06 pm

:shock: House Rocker!!!! I forgot the drummers Name????Gezz Iam terriable at names!!!!! But he is the only orginial member of the old Houserockers, is that correct????I have some old Mississippi blues Books, and in one there is a pic of a Blues Bill featuring the House Rockers, 3 tons of Blues, and Bobby Rush, this was from the 60's. I play in La. sometimes with the Cajun Fiddlers,they are the same ,a very old Band,been est. since the 40's has one org. member ,P.D. and he is 85, but he can lay down dat cajun blues!!!But the House Rockers are Playing at a high Dollar Resturant/Club right now,Right??? me and Lil' Mac Paid em a vist last summer, they sur can lay a groove, Thats what Iam lookin for!! But man They go heavy!! 2 guitar players, Bass, drums, 2 sax players, keyboard, since Levon Lindsey Died, Abdul has been leading the vocals, and then they have Bertice, Jackie bell, and others that show up, heck it becomes a stage show!!!! Were you in the "Last of the Mississippi Jukes" documentry??? I was behind King Edward, they didn't wanna white boy out frount!!!HaHa!!
601blues
Regular

Postby houserocker » Wed Feb 07, 2007 3:37 pm

The drummers name is Dudley Tardo and he is one of my best friends. We started playing together when we were about 15, many years ago. Next time you see them say Hi for me. We always stay at Dudleys house when were up visiting. I sure do miss those guys sometimes!! I'll make sure I look you up next trip.

houserocker
Contributor
Contributor

Next

Return to About Gigs