Seasick Steve

Problems, how to get them, favorite songs to play, groupies, funky bar owners, etc. NO names of clubs, please.

Seasick Steve

Postby maxx england » Sat Jan 06, 2007 3:45 pm

This probably isn't the place, but I'll use it anyway. New Years Eve television here, we have Jools Holland's Hootenanny every year, and this time round, he got a slide player some airtime after midnight. Never heard of him before, Seasick Steve. Only got to do one number, but he just cut straight through to the audience's boogie nerve. Excellent.

And is it me, or do blues players get real respect from other musicians, when the public just doesn't know/understand what we do?

Well done Steve, well done Jools for getting him up there.
maxx england
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Bournio » Sat Jan 06, 2007 7:34 pm

I saw that! If you check out his website... Not sure of the URL it's got free sample tracks, they're awesome!

Blues musicians never seem to get much respect... Or at least I don't around classical musiciana(but who does?!?) I get it better of non-musicians... I think it depends on the musicians! If they understand groove they'll respect you!
Bournio
Regular

Postby ricochet » Sat Jan 06, 2007 7:59 pm

Bournio wrote:I think it depends on the musicians!
Yep!
ricochet
Regular

Postby oleman » Sat Jan 06, 2007 8:09 pm

Respecting the Blues musicians......
Maybe we are lucky at our fri nite bar gig, but we get classical piano teachers, jazz guys, Barber shop quartet singers, bluegrass guys and Pueblo drum circle guys, that tell us they love our brand of loose, country, backporch style of music. Mainly rooted in the Blues, but we also play a lot of country and western, Beatles and old standards and fake jazz.
We are by no means accomplished musicians but we try to be as true to the music as we can and have fun.
Our front man is one of the most charismatic performers I have ever played with; I'm sure this has alot to do with our being respected and last but not least, tips.
oleman
Regular

Postby ricochet » Sat Jan 06, 2007 9:00 pm

Respect is a two way street. There's much to be admired in other genres of music, too.
ricochet
Regular

Postby stratman_27 » Sat Jan 06, 2007 11:34 pm

Its hard to get respect as a blues musician. You have to really get there feet moving before you can command the room or get the respect. Usually I've found if you can play a popular tune thats rooted in the blues you can sway the audience your way.
stratman_27
Regular

Postby maxx england » Sat Jan 13, 2007 2:25 pm

From the slide & bottleneck heading:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ujm7UshfVk0
maxx england
Contributor
Contributor

Postby allanlummox » Sat Jan 13, 2007 5:17 pm

The respect thing.

When I was first starting out, Jazz musicians were always peeing on me.

Nowadays, I get respect from just about any musicians I'm around (although I haven't been around Jazz cats as serious as the ones on the scene in Philly in many years.)
Last edited by allanlummox on Sat Jan 13, 2007 5:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
allanlummox
Contributor
Contributor

Postby jeffl » Sat Jan 13, 2007 5:49 pm

Alotta jazz musicians don't seem to even respect each other; in my experience, they can be a cliquish bunch who'll readily exclude any musicians who inject any elements of rock,pop, or blues, into their jazz.(see the Bad Plus http://www.thebadplus.com )
jeffl
Contributor
Contributor

Postby texas blues » Sat Jan 13, 2007 8:34 pm

The only disrepectfuls I have encountered are the teen/FNG's at the local music store who think that what they call shredding aka spahgetti makes them better musicians. Haven't seen one of them yet that can do it anywhere else i.e. an actual gig in front of a live audience. Mind you I am talking about the minority of new young musicians. Most new players I think are eager to soak up anything they can from whomever.

I haven't run into difficulty at gigs or club. I think most come out to have a good time and not worried about being critical. 'Sides, I think I am my own worst critic.
texas blues
Regular

Return to About Gigs