Basic's

Problems, how to get them, favorite songs to play, groupies, funky bar owners, etc. NO names of clubs, please.

Basic's

Postby 601blues » Wed Jan 03, 2007 1:03 pm

Well I did 2 gigs last week SOLO,after fireing the whole band!! 1st gig I mixed it up,between 6 string and reso, had a very good responce,every one said they enjoyed the show, the Club owner said it was much better than the band!! 2nd gig, I used Lil Mac, on sax ,and bass guitar as needed, Lil Mac played Sax for The House Rockers, King Edward,as well as Little Dave and Big Love, Mac has played with me a lot over the years,I haven't and don't know why,played with him for some time until now, Just pitch and catch!! as my little league coach used ta say,stick to the Basic's Sometimes we git so caught up with sound and eq,this amp or that !!this mic,or that mic, that we kick our own butts, we loose track of our goal fightin sound and eq, its better to stick to the basics!!!!!
601blues
Regular

Postby jeffl » Wed Jan 03, 2007 3:21 pm

Hey,good shootin' 601. Nothin' like blues stripped down. It's the way we all started,isn't it.....hookin' up with one buddy, concentratin' on the groove and gettin' right down on the ground. It's harder work, playin' alone,'cuz you can't hide or rest, but you should have a good time.
jeffl
Contributor
Contributor

Postby grady » Wed Jan 03, 2007 7:51 pm

Over the years, I've found that Solo is the only way to go.
More Money & less Bullcrap
grady
Regular

Postby jeffl » Wed Jan 03, 2007 9:14 pm

grady wrote:Over the years, I've found that Solo is the only way to go.
It's whatever ya' wanna do.... around here, the guys who make the most money are the recorded song DJs. They get twice what a band gets,and all they gotta do is pay themselves and pay for their equipment. Hell,even the karaoke DJs do better than the average bar band,'cuz they can sometimes draw more of a crowd. I personally enjoy the comraderie of playin' in a band, and I like the high I get when you get 4-5 guys all clickin' at the same time. I like the big,punchy sound. But,I'm a harper; what am I gonna do,stand up there with my harp and play boogies for people all night long.....? I've played with a great rhythm guitarist many times over the years whose conflict resolution skills are so lacking that he's been either kicked out of every band he's ever been in,for over 40 years, or his band quits on him 'cuz he's such an abusive grouch. But,I love playin' with him occasionally.
jeffl
Contributor
Contributor

Postby 601blues » Thu Jan 04, 2007 1:30 pm

jeffl wrote:
grady wrote:Over the years, I've found that Solo is the only way to go.
It's whatever ya' wanna do.... around here, the guys who make the most money are the recorded song DJs. They get twice what a band gets,and all they gotta do is pay themselves and pay for their equipment. Hell,even the karaoke DJs do better than the average bar band,'cuz they can sometimes draw more of a crowd. I personally enjoy the comraderie of playin' in a band, and I like the high I get when you get 4-5 guys all clickin' at the same time. I like the big,punchy sound. But,I'm a harper; what am I gonna do,stand up there with my harp and play boogies for people all night long.....? I've played with a great rhythm guitarist many times over the years whose conflict resolution skills are so lacking that he's been either kicked out of every band he's ever been in,for over 40 years, or his band quits on him 'cuz he's such an abusive grouch. But,I love playin' with him occasionally.
Well Guys I hope Iam not a grouch!! However,I like to play well and put on a good show,if you don't do that then you won't last long, Iam never satisfied with how Iam playin, and Iam always lookin for a better way to express my music, I learn everytime I pick up my guitar, I belive in practise, and everyone knows what to do and what to play, get tight with yourselves, this takes years of workin together,most of the time, I have ran across some great players, but you could not work with them, Thats the key is finding a group that is willing to practise and work together, Iam not ruling out a group,but I would rather be by myself than to get bad press, 2 weeks ago Before Xmas at Our gig, Me a very good Bass man , another guitar player and drummer, I could not get them to turn down the sound, I could not hear the monitors for vocals, way to loud, I stopped and took a break, and told the guitar player to turn down and stop over playin or leave the stage, I told the drummer the same thing!! I was not wanting to be an ass, however I had been tellin them the same thing all night, now we were into Our finial set!! I spoke with the owner and the Bartender Both said we were way to loud the bartender said he could not hear the customers!! So when we returned to the stage, I told everyone to stay below the monitors, and turn down, Everyone did except that guitar player he was actually hurtin my ears, so I walked off the stage and packed up my gear, the Club owner and Bartender Thanked me, I was ticked and embarssed!! So the last 2 weeks I have done several things, 1 on all my CD's I do all the instruments anyway, So I layed out all my recordings and took out all the parts I would be doing live left in BASS ,DRUMS, Rythym GUITAR, Have them On 2 CDs, about 60 tunes, So the last couple weeks I have been doin that, and have been told its great!! And I do a few Songs just me and a RESO, and Now I have Got Lil Mac On sax, when he can make it!!
601blues
Regular

Postby jeffl » Thu Jan 04, 2007 3:24 pm

Best wishes for success with the new approach 601. One of the biggest sources of waste in club entertaining is good musicians playing too loud, so that it's hard to distinguish the individual notes in the music. It's a shame,and it's frustrating for the listeners. It's a mutually escalating thing,too: the louder you play,the louder everybody talks and yells in the audience, and it's jus' a painful experience. At least the way you're doin' it,you'll regain some control over the music.
jeffl
Contributor
Contributor

Postby 601blues » Thu Jan 04, 2007 3:41 pm

:wink: Thats exactly my point Jeff, When I start a show and everyone is in the club is loud and I want there attention, I don't turn up loud, I turn down, and play a slow Blues and all of a sudden the crowd quiets down,But the more people you have the more cordination has to take place, and everybody wants to be heard, But the true Hero's of the Group is the ones that can keep a solid groove thru all the confusion, I love a good groove and solid rythym that is what so hard to accomplish, Every body wants ta play hot leads and has no concept of the rythym lines, I have heard a lotta guitar players that can play SRV licks but can't play the rythym groove to anything!! So when I practise with other musicians I don't do or allow any Lead runs,we do the rythym parts only, cause when you have that groove thats just as hot as any lead lick, then after I have got the grooves down to that tune tha leads are more tasteful played to enhance the groove, they shopuld go hand in hand!! But thats just my 2 cents, But if you get back to the Basics which to me is the groove then you can build from there, and when you add a player he can't play out side of that groove, Man I understand myself hope you do!!!
601blues
Regular

Postby stratman_27 » Thu Jan 04, 2007 11:46 pm

Amen to that 601. The guys in my band wonder sometimes why I don't play more lead than I do. Much of the time I'm concentrating on lyrics and staying in the groove. Sometimes I get so locked in the grooves and the rythmn that I forget to play leads on the songs I normally solo on. My other guitar player and me trade back and forth singing and lead playing with me doing the majority of the singing and him doing the majority of the lead guitar. It works for us. Sometimes we do two solos on one song if its a good jam tune and thats killer but not something you want to do every time. Heard too many bands that take 3 minute songs play two long solo's over them and turn them into 6-7 minutes of wailing. Sometimes its cool but most times the bar folks want to hear singing or something they can dance too.

I also am working on some solo material of more tradional blues in the acoustic vane. That way I get the best of both worlds. My band debated on doing an acoustic set within our show but it doesn't work as good as a solo or duo performance. Just my random thoughts
stratman_27
Regular

Postby 601blues » Fri Jan 05, 2007 12:28 am

:shock: yup!!Stratman, I agree, too much lead in a live show and you loose the crowd, your right they wanna hear vocals and be able to tap there foot to the rythym, most of the time the only one that enjoys the wailing lead is the player himself, cause he has done lost the crowd,they have no ideal what the heck he is doin, now some good arppegios and leave a tune in there heads, or good feels that accent the vocals or validates the vocals, so the acccoustic stuff can be done, however the cleaner and clearer your tunes and slower as well really takes a tight group that is on the same page, no where ta hide mistakes in that stuff, but that is the stuff I realy like to do!!
601blues
Regular

Postby 601blues » Mon Jan 15, 2007 1:34 pm

:D Had a great show Saturday Night, I had Lil Mac on Sax and conga's,I picked up another 2nd Guitar ,Joel, very tasteful but has a tendency to get too loud but will turn down when asked, Paul on Bass ,very good! However my weak link right now is the drummer ,SKEETER!!, has no groove to his playin at all, and has a Capt. Morgan Problem, da more he drinks the wilder he plays!!! So I have put out some feelers for another drummer,But overall I think I may have a nice core group!!
601blues
Regular

Postby stratman_27 » Sat Jan 20, 2007 2:40 am

Good blues drummers are about impossible to find. Most of the drummers I've played with want to be John Bonham or Keith Moon. Fortunately we've landed a pretty decent one that beats the tar out of em on some of the Cream tunes we do that need aggressive drumming, and he knows how to play a quiet groove on the stuff that needs to be laid back. The slow blues stuff takes a drummer that knows when to pounce and when to back off. I think we got that guy. Not to mention the fact that he sings on several song and does back up vocals on most everything.

I have nothing to complain about with my band other than we need more practice time.
stratman_27
Regular

Postby 601blues » Sat Jan 20, 2007 12:19 pm

YUP!! Practise is an issue, I love havin the short rests or stops in a tune and put a dynamics to the tune that really brings it to life!! however to get this right it takes eveyone to be on the same page or it sound like crap, The Bass Drums and Rythym Guitar must be dead on to get that groove flowin!! That rythym giutar must have that groove and control the rythym section thus the name rythym guitar!! Now u can find a guitar player under every rock they say,but what the heck are they playin?? Every body wants ta be SRV!!! for christ sake, now you get a stage ful of SRV"S and makin noise!! Nobody know how to play a rythym guitar thats the backbone!!
601blues
Regular

Postby maxx england » Sat Jan 20, 2007 12:43 pm

You know, after 20 years of banging my head up the wall trying to play guitar well enough to go public, I do wonder if my time wouldn't have been better spent with a drum kit.

The number of people who say they would kill to get a drummer who knows how to do blues stuff.....

But it's right about guitar players, I don't suppose any of us can add up the number of times we've seen an ego battle on a stage somewhere to the detriment of the music and the cost of the (paying) audience.
maxx england
Contributor
Contributor

Postby 601blues » Sat Jan 20, 2007 2:11 pm

:? Thats right Maxx!! to have multipule players called a band is good when all are working toward 1 goal called a song,and all focus on the part they play in that goal, and reach the goal thru the work of all not one, Gezz!! nice dream huh?? now back ta that real world!! If you think about it everyone wants ta play stuff they think others would like, Iam the oppsite I do stuff 1st of all I must like and enjoy playin it or I won't bother, reason is If I enjoy the tune then addin passion it deserves is an easy thing, and without passion in blues what do you have??
601blues
Regular

Postby 1four5 » Sat Jan 20, 2007 2:38 pm

We don't even have a drummer 8) In the year and a half we've been together, I've never heard anyone say "you guys need a drummer". But then, we're country gospel too... It's an interesting mix though, our lead guitar has the best timing and most experience, and we all hang on to him. My banjo offers a lot of precussion effect. His wife is our rhythm guitar player, so they are a perfect blend and she is never into any more than solid rhythm. She just got a 12 string...which debuts later today :D
1four5
Regular

Next

Return to About Gigs