Playing my first tomorrow night

Problems, how to get them, favorite songs to play, groupies, funky bar owners, etc. NO names of clubs, please.

Playing my first tomorrow night

Postby guitarslim101 » Mon Dec 18, 2006 3:47 am

I'm finally making my entrance into the world of performance. My school is hosting what they call a "Coffee House"...they just turn the staff lounge into a psuedo-coffee house environment and have students sign up to play 15 minute sets. I've got 4 songs picked out that should fit the bill. None of them are blues tunes, but I've managed to make 2 of them kind of bluesy. My list is:

Indifference–Pearl Jam
Redemption Song–Bob Marley
Plastic Jesus–...not sure who's responsible for the version I'm playing
Here's to the State of Mississippi–an updated version by Eddie Vedder

Should be fun. I've put in a couple extra instrumental breaks in the first two so I don't spend the entire 15 minutes strumming. I'll report back to you either tomorrow or Tuesday with the results.
guitarslim101
Regular

Postby mickeypainless » Mon Dec 18, 2006 4:38 am

Go get em Slim!
My son did a "Tenacious D" song for a Speech class final last week and not only received an A in the class but got a rousing standing ovation!
Yer gonna be great man!
mickeypainless
Contributor
Contributor

Postby 1four5 » Mon Dec 18, 2006 10:54 am

Good luck, and watch out...it's addictive 8)
1four5
Regular

Postby maxx england » Mon Dec 18, 2006 11:02 am

Don't be surprised if you feel terribly nervous, even to the point of shaking like I do; it's adrenalin and you can use it. It alters your perception of time, so you have loads of room to to correct any fluffs without anyone else knowing. One thing to watch out for, and I'm guilty of it if I don't take care, is playing too fast.

All the best though, enjoy!
maxx england
Contributor
Contributor

Postby stumblin » Mon Dec 18, 2006 11:04 am

Have fun. That's the main thing, and kind of the whole point really :)
stumblin
Regular

Postby ricochet » Mon Dec 18, 2006 5:54 pm

maxx england wrote:Don't be surprised if you feel terribly nervous, even to the point of shaking like I do; it's adrenalin and you can use it.
I did that yesterday when I was singing the lead in a gospel trio in our choir cantata. Sure enough, it makes time slow down. Went off well, nobody noticed the mistake I made, and lots of do-over requests have been coming in.
:D
ricochet
Regular

Postby Bournio » Mon Dec 18, 2006 6:51 pm

Plastic Jesus, it's an awesome song! We sang it going to Paris and it's becoming a campfire one!

Good luck! I'm yet to play in front of anyone whose not a scout. music lesson student, or drunk at a party! I'll be breaking out once I get band members that don't mind one chord songs!
Bournio
Regular

Postby mickeypainless » Mon Dec 18, 2006 8:00 pm

>>>Went off well

Very cool Rico! Are you a bass or tenor? MrsP has a great set of pipes and sang in the church choir for many years and I always enjoy it when shez in a festive mood and sings around the house! Me, I sound like a cross between Johnny Cash and a cat in the blender! :?
mickeypainless
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Boogieman » Mon Dec 18, 2006 8:08 pm

Good luck!!!
Boogieman
Regular

Postby ricochet » Mon Dec 18, 2006 8:57 pm

Mick, I'm a bass that fills in on baritone parts, and the one I was doing yesterday was labeled "Tenor 2." It was a stretch. Rehearsing with the mic, the director told me repeatedly to back off. The sound guy got the mic turned down yesterday and the director was frantically motioning me to sing louder, so I had the mic right at my lips and was belting out all I could at that high pitch! The adrenaline worked. I heard a loud whoop in the applause that followed. Turned out that was my daughter.
:D
ricochet
Regular

Postby mickeypainless » Mon Dec 18, 2006 9:33 pm

I meant Baritone not Tenor (Tenor is kinda high right)?
mickeypainless
Contributor
Contributor

Postby ricochet » Tue Dec 19, 2006 1:05 am

Yeah, tenor's high, bass is low, and baritone's kinda in between. I'm not a real basso profundo. As I often complain, the modern trend in Christian music is to push the men into singing higher than IMO God meant for them to.

Slim, sorry for hijacking your thread. I'll bet your coffeehouse gig turns out terrific!
ricochet
Regular

Postby guitarslim101 » Tue Dec 19, 2006 3:40 am

Well that was all kinds of fun. I was amazed that I didn't feel nervous at all. I started off by going up onto the six-inch high platform set up for us, went up to the mic, said "check, check" and followed it with a very loud scream to wake everyone up. I then said that I was the comedic relief for the evening and went into "Plastic Jesus" on the banjo with an extended kazoo solo at the end. I realized very early in the song that I couldn't hear my vocals on stage, so I was off key most of the night. I followed that with "Redemption Song", which wasn't too good but I think it still worked. Then, rather than the Pearl Jam song (because I couldn't hear myself, you see), I played an acoustic version of "Interstellar Overdrive" by Pink Floyd with random kazoo squeals...people didn't know what to think. I ended with "Here's to the State of George W." and I had the biggest Bush supporter in the school sitting in the front row right where I was looking...he was not pleased.

I figured that my first experience playing at something other than a school assembly...and especially my first experience singing solo in front of people...that I should just be nice and loose and let it flow. And as I mentioned before, my nerves were much more sturdy than I had expected...this certainly won't be the last time I play in front of a group.

I should also add that a friend of mine got the whole thing on video, so if I get a hold of it, I'll put it on the internet somewhere for your viewing pleasure.
guitarslim101
Regular

Postby jellyroll baker » Tue Dec 19, 2006 5:08 am

Glad you had fun - that's the main thing. It gets easier every time.
jellyroll baker
Contributor
Contributor

Postby stumblin » Tue Dec 19, 2006 8:24 am

jellyroll baker wrote:It gets easier every time.

Let's hope so anyway.
I was tempted to mention that Maxx's use of the term "shaking" was perhaps somewhat euphemistic.
I've been known to play Tom Waits' Chocolate Jesus, but Plastic Jesus is a new one on me, who's it by?
stumblin
Regular

Next

Return to About Gigs