Am I Blue?

Required: Just registered? Give us a short introduction. You won't be able to post anywhere else until you have an approved post here.

Everything else -- questions, comments, observations -- should find a home in the other forums.

Am I Blue?

Postby santo » Mon Sep 16, 2002 3:23 pm

I just registered. I found the site because I've been researching and looking for some images or pictures of Babe Stovall performing. I've been striking out except for a good closeup of "Babe", that Sparky Rutland sent in reply to my e-mail. I'm planning on using bits and pieces on a personal sign panel because that's what I do. I've been a blues listener all my life. Raised in New Orleans, I was listening to blues, gospel, and New Orleans R&B from the git-go. Saw all the legends at the Cavalcade of Stars Concerts as kid. Went thrrough the 60's listening to B.B., Muddy, Willie Dixon and others along with the British blues imitators. When the Allmans came along, I thought I was in electric blues heaven. I tried to play the acoustic guitar some, but damned if it ain't the hardest thing I ever tried. Still got it though along with a piano, I'll get back to them someday soon.
santo
Regular

RE: Am I Blue?

Postby ernest » Mon Sep 16, 2002 5:49 pm

Hi Santo
Welcome to the best blues forum of the world and keep on trying the acoustic thing. (If I can do it every body can learn it)
ernest
Regular

Postby badfinger » Mon Sep 16, 2002 9:21 pm

Hi, Santo.

Welcome.
(Anything to do with Johnny?)

bf
badfinger
Regular

Postby mikedev » Mon Sep 16, 2002 11:39 pm

Hey Santo, get back to playing NOW!

I left it far too late to try. Time goes quicker than you think!
mikedev
Regular

Postby inbred » Tue Sep 17, 2002 12:11 am

Hi, Santo. Hey, at least you know music. I don't know anything about music and even I can play a song or two on guitar. Yer prolly much better than you think.
inbred
Regular

Postby santo » Wed Sep 18, 2002 6:17 pm

Thanks for the replies.
Johnny Who? I know you are probably talking about Johnny Winter but, I was friends with the late "Big Johnny Thomassie" the R&B drummer from New Orleans. He can be heard on Tom Waites recordings, but "Big Johnny" was at best with a hot R&B rythm section. In the late 70's he was with Luther Kent and the Real Thing.
I'll be picking some shortly.
santo
Regular

Postby dcblues » Wed Sep 18, 2002 6:24 pm

I'm pretty sure Badfinger was referring to Santo & Johnny. They recorded the classic instrumental "Sleepwalk."
dcblues
Contributor
Contributor

Postby santo » Wed Sep 18, 2002 6:37 pm

[updated:LAST EDITED ON Sep-18-02 AT 02:57 PM (CDT)]I ain't that old! Who said I was that old? Can't believe everything you hear. That Sleepwalk was great stuff though. You can really feel it pulling you along.
santo
Regular

Postby santo » Wed Sep 25, 2002 12:04 pm

Well yall inspired me. I bought some picks and took out the guitar last night. I had my son interested, and I showed him how to hold the guitar. It's too large for him, but he gave it a try. I'll be building up some callouses for a while, I guess.
santo
Regular

Postby mikedev » Wed Sep 25, 2002 1:13 pm

[updated:LAST EDITED ON Sep-25-02 AT 09:14 AM (CDT)]Well done!!!!

Hope your fingers don't hurt too much & that your son sticks with it.

Anything going on with the piano?
mikedev
Regular

Postby santo » Thu Sep 26, 2002 3:34 pm

I'm thinking of moving it to where I can use it more.
santo
Regular

Return to A Bit About You