RE: Hey fellow blues fans.

Required: Just registered? Give us a short introduction. You won't be able to post anywhere else until you have an approved post here.

Everything else -- questions, comments, observations -- should find a home in the other forums.

Postby mtblues » Sat Aug 24, 2002 1:38 pm

Welcome, earl_jam; it's nice to have another "Arkie" in the Big Road. I'm a displaced one, myself, currently in New Mexico, but getting ready to move back to Arkansas soon.

We have a great chat group on Sunday nights at 9:00 CST; stop by and say hi.

MtBlues
mtblues
Regular

Postby bosco » Sat Aug 24, 2002 2:00 pm

Hi Earl ! (always wanted to say that for some reason...probably cause I don't know any Earls, ya reckon?)

Welcome to the BRB, fellow harper here, lots of great info in the Harp section - read through the old threads and see if you have anything to add. I bought the A.F. & the Rockets CD "Change In My Pocket" (1999) a couple months ago as I didn't have any in my collection. To be quite honest, I'm disappointed...there is harp on less than half the songs and then played only sparingly. Sam has great tone, to be sure, but I expected more. Sam's vocals sound like he's bored and because every song on the album sounds like it is in the same key it gets downright tedious. I would love to see them live so they could change my mind!

Anyway, If these guys inspired you enough to take up the harp, thats the main thing...harp on !!!

"Just my opinion, I could be wrong!" Dennis Miller
bosco
Contributor
Contributor

Postby mtblues » Sat Aug 24, 2002 2:29 pm

"I would love to see them live so they could change my mind!"

Hey, Bosco, not to get too far off topic here, but my sister and some of my friends in Arkansas saw them there last night. She said they were cookin'! Sam was blowing harp like a man possessed, apparently.

Just a little note of encouragement....hahaha

MtBlues
mtblues
Regular

Postby blueswriter » Sat Aug 24, 2002 3:22 pm

Howdy Earl...

I love the Earl's Garage tag. It reminds me of something from the Andy Griffith show! As for the Anson and Sam issue, I'd opt for the "Grand Emporium" disc since it's a 'live' recording.

Bosco, as for early Sam Myers, there's a CD on the Official label split between him Papa Lightfoot that's well worth hunting down. You might try checking online or ordering it through your favorite outlet. Talk about a great pairing... Papa Lightfoot's approach was anything but light and the definitive versions of Sam's "Sleeping In The Ground" and others will inspire and astound.

Blueswriter
blueswriter
Contributor
Contributor

Postby mtblues » Sat Aug 24, 2002 3:32 pm

Hey, earl_jam, are you related to Earl Cate; hence, the term "Earl's Garage" ??? (Earl--a VERY good Arkansas name! In the words of Hound Dog Taylor, I'm witcha .... ).

MtBlues
mtblues
Regular

Postby bosco » Sat Aug 24, 2002 3:32 pm

Earl,

Sorry for wiping my muddy feet on your welcome mat, but a lot of information gets exhanged here on the BigRoad. (You did mention Anson & Sam in your intro after all.)

BW - Thanks for the suggestions, I'll put them on the "wanted" list.
(it's long but distinguished!)

went down to the crossroads...
bosco
Contributor
Contributor

Postby bones » Sun Aug 25, 2002 3:01 am

Your aim sounds funky. Keep the groove alive.

Tooo drunk to elaborate, but have fun with the groove and it will be true. I think you get it.

Peace,
Bones
bones
Regular

Return to A Bit About You