New in town

Required: Just registered? Give us a short introduction. You won't be able to post anywhere else until you have an approved post here.

Everything else -- questions, comments, observations -- should find a home in the other forums.

New in town

Postby sandy » Thu Mar 21, 2002 3:45 pm

Hi, I've just signed up here, although I recognise some names from other places of the blues. By way of introduction - I am a 46-year-old journalist in the UK, living in the south of England. I like many different types of music, but somehow I always end up listening to the blues in one form or another. I have been playing the guitar very badly for 30 years (slightly less badly in the last five or so) and I try the blues harp from time to time with little success. It's a combination of lack of talent and lack of commitment to practice. I just want to play, not learn. I have fun, though. I also played tenor sax a bit, at one time. I like blues gigs, and as I am going to be in San Diego in a couple of weeks for work, followed by a few days in Austin, Texas, (vacation) I would be interested if anyone could suggest good blues places (I think I will have to visit Antone's in Austin). I'm looking forward to some stimulating discussion here :-).
sandy
Contributor
Contributor

RE: New in town

Postby mikedev » Fri Mar 22, 2002 4:48 pm

Hi Sandy,

I'm one of the other Brits on the board. I live not far from Heathrow. I too am (well)over 21, but have only been (trying) to play for a couple of years. More enthusiasm than talent! Can't be bothered with too much theory I just try and learn some songs.

Enjoy your visits.
mikedev
Regular

Postby ricochet » Fri Mar 22, 2002 6:06 pm

My daughter just came through Heathrow yesterday. Brought me back a "Mind the Gap" T-shirt from the London "Tube," which I'm wearing at the moment. :-)

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."
ricochet
Regular

Postby bosco » Fri Mar 22, 2002 8:48 pm

Welcome SANDY...be sure to read through all the Blues Harp threads where I hang out; a wealth of info and shared experiences there.(I think we all hate theory and just want to play!)

went down to the crossroads.....
bosco
Contributor
Contributor

Postby sandy » Sat Mar 23, 2002 11:33 pm

Thanks for the suggestions. I am looking forward to the trip. Small cheap places sound great to me. And I will seek out SRV's statue. I thought there must be other Brits out there.
sandy
Contributor
Contributor

Postby badfinger » Sun Mar 24, 2002 9:11 pm

About 58 million of us!

Hi

bf
badfinger
Regular

Postby dougtheslug » Mon Mar 25, 2002 1:19 am

Hi Sandy,

Enjoy your stay. It's still a bit too cold to come up to Canada, so you should stay down there where the heat mixes properly with the music. As far is playing for 30 years and being bad goes, I think it's like golf. I've read that only 10% of golfers can break 100, but when they hit a good one they feel like Tiger Woods or (for us old guys) Arnold Palmer. There's even a BGA (bad golfers association) with tens of thousands of possible members!! I've been playing guitar badly too for 30 years, and have only recently had the time to improve. But at least I know who I'm playing for now ---- me!!!!!!!! I can be Muddy Waters, or Furry Lewis, or even R.J. if I want to. Now and then if someone says that it sounds cool, so much the better. But who cares. Slide on,,,,,

dougtheslug
dougtheslug
Regular

Postby sandy » Mon Mar 25, 2002 4:07 pm

>But
>at least I know who
>I'm playing for now ----
>me!!!!!!!!>
>
>dougtheslug

You're right, of course. But it is nice when occasionally someone says something complimentary. A young friend has offered me a lesson. We'll see what that brings to my playing. Incidentally, my wife is just back from Vancouver where she had a chance to see James Cotton, but couldn't make it to the gig in the end (but Canada is a big place - you could be nearer the UK than Vancouver - distance is a difficult concept for us Brits, I think).
sandy
Contributor
Contributor

Postby rustyslide » Wed Mar 27, 2002 5:41 pm

[font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON Mar-27-02 AT 12:41 PM (CST)[/font][p]I'm closer to the UK than Vancouver...
So why is airfare more expensive?

--
http://homepage.mac.com/rustyslide/

ramble ramble ramble
I got ramblin' on my mind
rustyslide
Site Admin

Postby sandy » Thu Mar 28, 2002 12:31 am

Because there is an ocean in the way? Exchange rates? Er, everything in the UK is more expensive? CDs certainly are.
sandy
Contributor
Contributor

Postby drmojo » Tue Apr 02, 2002 5:26 am

Well, if you're in Austin just say hi ... I'll personally hand you a cd of Big Ass Buick or something. Don't look for Antone's to be anything special -- they're hip hop and all kinds of weird stuff most days of the week, with the occasional flash of something blues on the weekend.

My suggestion for visiting the great blues world of Austin is to contact Mr. Peabody and see if he'll lend you the Wayback Machine :)

Seriously, though, email when you're going to be in town.

Moj
drmojo
Regular

Postby chillywilly » Thu Apr 04, 2002 4:30 am

Doc, say it ain't so! Antone's is hip-hop now? I'm shattered.
Yes we do need the Wayback Machine.
-Chilly
chillywilly
Regular

Postby sandy » Tue Apr 16, 2002 10:21 am

Well, I'm back from Austin - the last few messages were while I was away, so I missed them - and I can tell you how I got on. I did try out Antone's, but only a free happy hour performance. It was a jam led by harp player Rob Roy Parnell who I can recommend. There were only about 20 people in the place, but they played a storm, and all the musicians who joined him on stage were of a high standard. I had a brief conversation with him and he was very friendly and enthusiastic about everything. I have a CD of his which I am enjoying. I went to a couple of blues jams at the 311 Club. It was a little patchy, but fun, and there was a feeling that they were musicians playing for themselves. There was a steady stream of people wanting to play, which I took as a good sign. Both times I went to Joe's Generic, the bands were good - Joe Richardson's Express and the Jupes or Dupes or something. I saw other bands, including the Weary Boys' farewell gig. I tried the Filling Station jam, which was fine while I was eating, but was not perhaps worth a visit otherwise. Some young guys had a go, but were not great. The basic house band were fine though, and it had its moments, certainly. It is easy to be critical, but it seems to me there is so much choice in Austin that there will always be a mixture of the great and the less interesting. I had a good time, though I ended up pretty footsore from walking around everyday.
sandy
Contributor
Contributor

Postby sandy » Fri Apr 19, 2002 10:10 am

>Anyway,
>hope you had fun.

I certainly did - thanks for your guidance.
sandy
Contributor
Contributor

Return to A Bit About You