should you be ticked off if...

Problems, how to get them, favorite songs to play, groupies, funky bar owners, etc. NO names of clubs, please.

should you be ticked off if...

Postby demo » Sat Dec 09, 2006 12:01 am

you find out that:
someone has taken a song you've written, sent it to 'an expert' through an email, and wants to change the song because they said it would be better if you took out important verses and altered the meaning of the song,

and this was done without your knowledge or permission, and u weren't supposed to find any of this out.
demo
Regular

Postby ricochet » Sat Dec 09, 2006 1:33 am

Yes, seriously so.

I might make allowances if it had been done by a friend with beneficent motives, wanting to be helpful. But it shouldn't have been done without your permission.
ricochet
Regular

Postby demo » Sat Dec 09, 2006 2:20 am

ok then. thnx.
demo
Regular

Postby stumblin » Sat Dec 09, 2006 8:35 am

"Ticked Off"?
Driven by a raging murderous impulse more like.
Now, I'm a mild-mannered kind of guy and never advocate violence as a civilised method of resolving differences, but next time you meet this person...
Alternatively, seek legal advice (if you've got plenty of spare cash).
stumblin
Regular

Postby Boogieman » Sat Dec 09, 2006 11:35 am

I would be upset.
Boogieman
Regular

Postby allanlummox » Sat Dec 09, 2006 5:06 pm

Irritated.
allanlummox
Contributor
Contributor

Postby NEONMOONY » Sat Dec 09, 2006 5:14 pm

You guys are jumpin' over the edge without enough info from Demo. Was the song was sent to an "expert" by a friend thinking he was doing you a favor because he thought you had something? Who wanted to change the song, the "expert" or the friend? Do you protect your work? Was it done with good intentions or was it an attempt to rip it off? (In which case go back to previous question about protection) Would the friend have reason to think you were OK with it? Just wonderin'. I would want to know these things before I recommended using a ball bat.
NEONMOONY
Regular

Postby demo » Sat Dec 09, 2006 7:14 pm

both of them wanted to change the song...even though a lot of people like it the way it is. i've shown the alternate versions to some people and they don't like them, and i don't either. i guess it was done with good intentions, but definently with the intention of wanting the song rewritten. i don't think they want to rip it off.

i'll figure it out i guess...
demo
Regular

Postby stumblin » Sat Dec 09, 2006 7:28 pm

NEONMOONY wrote:...jumpin' over the edge without enough info...

Happens to me all the time! Sorry guys.
I still think I'd be mightily annoyed by someone fecking about with something I'd written and trying to keep me from finding out about it.
stumblin
Regular

Postby maxx england » Mon Dec 11, 2006 12:11 pm

I don't have a background of working in songs with people but I would be inclined to suggest to the modifiers that they would perhaps be better off writing their own song in the first place. Like motorcycle builders, if you say to many that you'd do it different, the answer will be to go and do one of your own if it's that important to you.
maxx england
Contributor
Contributor

Postby oleman » Mon Dec 11, 2006 3:35 pm

You don't go mucking about with other peoples painting, or sculpture, or any ART. The creative process is personal and should be left entirely alone; if the artist wants to change HIS art; thats his perogative.

Maxx nailed it.........
oleman
Regular

Postby Catweazle » Mon Dec 11, 2006 4:35 pm

Take your friend's car to a bodyshop, have them "restyle" it and give it back to him. See what he says.
Catweazle
Regular

Postby NEONMOONY » Mon Dec 11, 2006 9:37 pm

Catweazle wrote
Take your friend's car to a bodyshop, have them "restyle" it and give it back to him. See what he says.

That oughtta do it!
NEONMOONY
Regular

Postby demo » Mon Dec 11, 2006 10:32 pm

well, thanks for the tips everybody...
demo
Regular

Postby beard-of-grey » Wed Jan 03, 2007 12:05 am

My way of looking at it is, if their not trying to claim ownership, and someone records a gold record from it just take the money and you can still play it YOUR way
Remember the Kilmer film on the Doors were Jimbo complains that Feliciano was getting much radio play with Light my Fire, one of the other band members advises Jim to take the royalties and be happy that the song was getting the Doors name around
It could happen :wink:
beard-of-grey
Regular

Next

Return to About Gigs