I broke my bass

A forum devoted to the discussion of playing bass with the blues.

I broke my bass

Postby bigdaddy » Mon Nov 20, 2006 11:57 pm

Saturday I was jammin' with the guitarist and my cord got caught on the drums rack as I was walkin' across the room and broke the jack plug. It's a Squire Precision and the pick gaurd busted around the jack plug. I took it home and called everyone in the area and nobody had another pick gaurd. Being somewhat terrible at building stuff I went to work cutting away the pick gaurd then making a jack plug holder out of some aluminum from an aluminum box I had. I screwed the jack plug onto it then screwed it on to the bass and it works. Looks pretty bad tho. Like it's been tainted, unpure. It sounds the same and all but it has a scar. I ordered an Epiphone Les Paul Special which should be here in a week or so. I'd been thinking about going with a double humbucker anyways. I have a mahogany body Washburn that I love the warm sound of and the Epi is a solid mahogany body. I'd use the Washburn as the main bass but the action is a tad high and I can't get it lower. I have tried. It's a good practice and backup tho. Anyways, curse them drum racks.
bigdaddy
Regular

Postby ricochet » Tue Nov 21, 2006 12:44 am

I'm sorry to hear it, Big Daddy. That's a tough break.
ricochet
Regular

Postby bigdaddy » Thu Nov 30, 2006 7:05 pm

The Epiphone Les Paul Special is going back. It has absolutely no bottom end. Nada, zip. Sure is pretty tho. I ordered a pickgaurd from Stew-Mac this morning and will repair my old one. I love the feel of the old. If the pickgaurd works, my bass is a 14 hole and the new gaurd is a 13 hole, then I'm gonna buy another one like it. It's a Squire Precision that I gut and put a blade split coil and new pots and condenser in. Once done these basses are deep and smooth. Thought about a Mexican bass but I would still gut it. The Squires are alder with a maple neck, rosewood fingerboard for half the cost.
bigdaddy
Regular

Postby bigdaddy » Sat Dec 09, 2006 12:45 am

I put the new pickgaurd on, it's black and looks real good on the metalic red. Lately I have been seeing some real unfair things going down in my life. There ain't nothing fair. I'm being pulled in to many directions deep inside. I believe I have to save some money and get on down to Phoenix. A man trys to build something just to have it all jerk out from under him. I'm to old for this kind of crap. I say Phoenix because it's has a bigger music market, I fantasize of just playing bass in country and blues bands and nothing else. It's a plan. All I need is around $300.00 a week. That ain't wantin' to much.
bigdaddy
Regular

Postby ricochet » Sat Dec 09, 2006 1:35 am

I hope things start working out better for you, Big Daddy.
ricochet
Regular

Return to Bass - Meet Me At The Bottom