Whats the strangest thing you've seen at a gig?

Problems, how to get them, favorite songs to play, groupies, funky bar owners, etc. NO names of clubs, please.

Postby bosco » Fri Dec 01, 2006 2:06 am

That's a great story Gator, Thanks for that one!

:wink:
bosco
Contributor
Contributor

Postby badfinger » Fri Dec 01, 2006 6:06 am

Many years ago (hmmmm.... more many than I care to recount), we were playing for a New Year’s Eve dance it one of the ballrooms at the now defunct Bellvue Zoo and Pleasure Gardens, Manchester.

This was my five-piece dance band (The Keith Jay Quintet), expanded to a dozen for the occasion, with me fronting on trumpet; the requirement: mixed ballroom dancing. (Our preferred genre was modern jazz, but for bread and butter we would swallow our pride and play, as most working musicians would, whatever the customer wanted, from Old Time, through Ballroom to Trad – and even Rock and Roll).

On such occasions as this one, we would play inset Dixieland sessions, with three of us (trumpet, clarinet and trombone) standing at the front of the band, while the dancers jived or jitterbugged as their fancy and skills allowed.

In one of these jive sessions (I particularly remember that we were playing “Midnight in Moscow”, a la Kenny Ball) we were all rather fascinated by the scooped neckline of a rather buxom lady, dancing what appeared to be a Lindy Hop variation just in front of the stage, and by the sympathetic and contra-motions thereby presented.

Suddenly, in response to a rather exaggerated shake of her shoulders, one large, yet charming, breast “popped out” from the scooped restraint!

Without pause, and in perfect time to the music, her partner reached over, and with an easy, unhurried action, “popped” it back in... And they continued dancing, without missing a beat, nor a step!

The whole thing happened with such relaxed nonchalance, that I doubt many – if any – of the other dancers noticed. For the three of us standing on the apron of the stage, however, it was a different story, and “Midnight in Moscow” collapsed into a rhythm-section showpiece as we three front men collapsed in hoots (the clarinettist actually bit through his reed).
badfinger
Regular

Postby allanlummox » Fri Dec 01, 2006 10:37 am

mmmm...vinegar.
allanlummox
Contributor
Contributor

Postby badfinger » Sun Dec 03, 2006 11:18 am

OK, I give up: "vinegar"?
badfinger
Regular

Previous