What's the strangest reason why your gig was cancelled?

Problems, how to get them, favorite songs to play, groupies, funky bar owners, etc. NO names of clubs, please.

What's the strangest reason why your gig was cancelled?

Postby stumblin » Wed Nov 22, 2006 4:46 pm

I just found out that tomorrow night's gig is off. Thinking that it would be a good idea to phone and confirm, I rang them this afternoon.
They said that they're shut because the ladies toilet is broken so they're not allowed to open. They might have let us know, you'd have thought.
Still, what's the lamest/weirdest reason why your gigs have been called off?
stumblin
Regular

Postby stratman_27 » Wed Nov 22, 2006 5:04 pm

The Owner died. We played the following Sat nite for a Memorial thing for free and I believe it was the best show I ever did. I had a 72 Deluxe LP crankin' through a JCM800 combo. I truley think Jimi would have been proud. Only thing between guitar and amp was a Hendrix wah-wah. Dirty blues with saturated leads. And crystal clear fat tones that keep you up nites. So I guess our gig didn't get cancelled just postpone and the pay renegoiated.
stratman_27
Regular

Postby allanlummox » Wed Nov 22, 2006 8:41 pm

The day I flew to Glasgow to play at a bar in Paisley, they cancelled the second night because the bartender and several of the staff were all sacked for having their hands in the till.

I played the first night, and made a chunk less on the whole deal than I might have. (This is what happens when there's no contract.)

My buddy (who was my contact to the gig ) and I took the bus back to London.

On the plus side, I hung out with his family and old crew in Glasgow and they were a great bunch.
allanlummox
Contributor
Contributor

Postby jeffl » Wed Nov 22, 2006 9:02 pm

I had some acquaintances who had a gig cancelled 'cuz the IRS locked the place down for about 2-3 weeks to go over the books. They just busted the guy for failing to disclose over one million bucks in income over a 3 year period of time. Turns out it wasn't even real income, 'cuz he was laundering money for his drug operation: double jeopardy.
jeffl
Contributor
Contributor

Postby bosco » Sun Nov 26, 2006 5:35 pm

About four years ago we had a place go out of business without warning the same week we were supposed to play there Fri & Sat night. We had a big snow on Wednesday and on Thursday a member of the band happened to drive by and noticed that the parking lot had not been plowed out. We tried calling for two days with no answer and the place remained dark, locked up and unplowed. Once again...you think they could have called.

Our steady gig this past summer double booked one week and two bands showed up. The other band played as we had just played the week before and our entire entourage ended up getting free dinner and drinks for the misunderstanding.

Our monthly Fri & Sat gig also got shut down by the IRS this past summer. They literally put chains and padlocks on the doors. Luckily we weren't playing that week as the band that was booked played hell trying to get their equipment out of there. Two weeks later the drumkit could still be seen on stage through the front window.

Damn, all of this has got me to thinking that this is a tough town to play in!

Bosco
bosco
Contributor
Contributor

Postby oleman » Mon Nov 27, 2006 4:52 am

A guy was shot and killed on a friday nite and the place was yellow taped up for the rest of the weekend. We had driven 300mi for the sat. and sunday gig. We were rescheduled for later on in the summer with a slight bonus. Gets kinda rowdy in El Paso.
oleman
Regular

Postby 601blues » Mon Nov 27, 2006 6:21 pm

:shock: I may owe everyone an explanation, some time ago I posted about goin to record at Arista in NY, I think this falls under a strange gig!! Well I was talkin with a Moderator at another Site, and he claimed to be the x lead player for Blondie and had written the song One Way or another!! And did a lotta name dropin Claimed to have played with BB etc. and wanted to geta blues band together,and asked me if I was interested, Sure I will give it a shot, and it was down hill from there, I spoke with him on the phone a couple times, and he would never let me have a number to reach him,he claimed the police had a tap on it and didn't want me to be involved, He claimed to have played with the gun club, and NY dolls and others ,when I asked what was his blues background he tried to convience me that was Blues just angry blues???????Lori even read some of the stuff he claimed and warned me sometin was not right , but I was feelin it already, He claimed to have had meetings with arista, and alligator, And Norm Lieberman BB's agent!!Well as soon as he said that I knew sometin was wrong cuz Norm Lieberman is not BB's agent!!! so I started checkin with Arista, Alligator. and Norm Liberman Productions, as Well as Floyd Liberman who is BB's agent!! A simple Email to them all explaining the situation, That Mr. So and So has asked me to become involved with his music, and claimes to have record deals and agent deals, Can you confirm that any of this is pending??? All said They never heard of this guy ever and never has met with him, Alligator said that it sounded like a scam!! He claimed to have a necklace BB gave him personally!! When I spoke to BB's office about this They Laughed and said thousands have those BB throws them at his concerts!! I checked all the web sites of bands he claims to have played in . not one of them has his name anywhere or any pictures of him any where, NUTTIN to validate what he was tellin me, I asked Alvin Lee who is a good friend to check it out He asked Toni Franklin his agent to check into it as well as his bassman Pete, and which was with Alligator and nobody coulod find anything, BOTTOM LINE he is a LOOSER!!Now he does have a good line of crap wit him and has a bunch of guitars he buys and sells , I forwarded all the emails and statements from Arista and Alligator and everthing I had , To him and the other moderators on there site, the other moderators say he can't even Play the guitar very well, I must be a dumbass but I thought if you was a moderator you were to have some class?? But I just had to get that o0ff my chest to let every one know what happened!!
601blues
Regular

Postby dcblues » Mon Nov 27, 2006 7:10 pm

I know a couple of acoustic musicians from Richmond (a singer and a guitarist) who used to perform as a duo. They had a gig in DC a few years ago and they asked me to play it with them. The gig went really well, and it was going to be a regular one for us (every week or every other week).

The day of the second time we were going to play there, I heard that the place shut down. There was a padlock on the door and the owner left town. No explanation why it closed. Luckily, I was able to get in touch with my bandmates that day. They would have driven three hours or more to find they had no gig.
dcblues
Contributor
Contributor

Postby jellyroll baker » Tue Nov 28, 2006 3:35 am

Hey 601, I really have to wonder why people bother lying about stuff like that. Even before the days of the internet those kinds of claims were easy to check up and verify and now that we have this wonderful world of information at out fingertips anybody telling porkies is guarabteed to get caught out, it's just a matter of time.
jellyroll baker
Contributor
Contributor

Postby 601blues » Tue Nov 28, 2006 10:51 am

But the mindset of the SOB !!!even after I confronted him, claims Iam the one lying!! And tells everyone I screwed up all thease recordin contracts just because I contacted them and asked questions!!!PLEASE!! now I understand what rape vic's and all the kid being bullied at school feel, when they complain about it Then they are the problem not the one thats doing it!!
601blues
Regular

I AM NOT OFF TOPIC :-)

Postby bluesfyre » Tue Nov 28, 2006 12:53 pm

Just remember who the real musician is here. You're going to find them all on the net, 50 yr old men who pretend they are 14 yr old girls, cops that pretend they are 14 yr old girls, (a pattern?), and 'no talents' pretending they are famous musicians. Stick around 601, I think we are pretty much normal around here. :-)
bluesfyre
Regular

Postby 601blues » Tue Nov 28, 2006 1:35 pm

:? Thanks!! I have a flaw in my character, I belive people, and want everything to be OK ,then I find most of what they say is BS, it is a big let down for sure, Then you realize everything was BS and how could you have been dumb enough to have belived it???? GEZZ!! when will I ever learn?? Iam just a simple man with a simple Plan, work hard play hard,and treat people right!! :wink:
601blues
Regular

Postby maxx england » Tue Nov 28, 2006 1:38 pm

If it's any help at all, I'm pretending to be a musician too. Don't know anybody famous yet.
maxx england
Contributor
Contributor

Return to About Gigs