Stage fright

Problems, how to get them, favorite songs to play, groupies, funky bar owners, etc. NO names of clubs, please.

Postby 1four5 » Thu Jun 15, 2006 1:48 pm

I just finished my custom telebass( pictures later)

Man...wait till you'all see this baby. I hope Tim gets some pics soon. Long scale, tele body and headstock. 52 cream colored. Black tele pickguard. Not only that, he used some old house paint than ait really drying...so it's pickin up a lot of class and soul real quick...neat stratigy that could really catch on 8) I told him he auta build em and sell em. Oh yeah...sounds better than it looks 8)

Edit: Pictures are posted here:
http://www.bigroadblues.com/forum/viewt ... highlight=
1four5
Regular

Stagefright

Postby oleman » Thu Jun 15, 2006 6:43 pm

I've been playing semi-pro for 20+ and I still get spooked everytime I'm about to play. The technique I use to mellow out is to have a couple drinks. This is one of those fine line deals where you need to be careful not to get to buzzed and consequently get sloppy. But normally we play in bars, so from my experience, most musicians I know take it easy setting up and sound check and have a couple. Once the music starts and people start dancin my anxiety disappears.
oleman
Regular

Postby Shreveport » Tue Oct 31, 2006 9:01 pm

saw a great tv ad the other day it said amatures practice till they get it right. Professionals practice till they can't get it wrong. confidence. and thick skin. someone somewhere sometime will tell you that you suck. blow them off and press on. the band hired you for a reason.
Shreveport
Regular

Postby jeffl » Tue Oct 31, 2006 9:17 pm

It always bugs me when I take a buddy or two to hear a band with a harper (I play harp), and my buddies spend the whole night critiqueing the guy and tellin' me that I'm lots better, even if I can't hold a candle to the guy. I'm jus' goin' to hear some harp and maybe pick up a few tips, and everybody's gotta be a critic. I jus' keep thinkin' (and my companions are usually among my best friends),"If you think it's so easy, why aren't you up there hangin' YOUR neck out where it can be chopped off?" As a player,you can't let that stuff get to ya',or you are gonna get stage fright. Most of the players I know are very supportive when they catch you playin', and are appreciative of bein' able to listen and relax for a change.
jeffl
Contributor
Contributor

Previous

Return to About Gigs