Whats the strangest thing you've seen at a gig?

Problems, how to get them, favorite songs to play, groupies, funky bar owners, etc. NO names of clubs, please.

Whats the strangest thing you've seen at a gig?

Postby houserocker » Sat Oct 21, 2006 9:02 pm

This came up in another discussion, what is the strangest thing you have seen while playing a gig?

http://www.thehouserockers.net
houserocker
Contributor
Contributor

Postby jeffl » Sat Oct 21, 2006 9:31 pm

I saw a girl pull a knife on her boyfriend at the bar, and a man got between 'em and took the knife away, and the bartender kicked the good samaritan out (apparently the two combatants were "regulars"). We laughed our butts off about that one.
jeffl
Contributor
Contributor

Postby allanlummox » Sat Oct 21, 2006 10:34 pm

Hmm.

Ive seen a beer mug busted across a bartenders jaw,

A table pushed through a plate glass window,

Tattoo Charlie doing Coke out of a Vics inhaler onstage,

A guy thrown down a flight of stairs - with his guitar - followed by his amplifier - at an open mic - Ok, I MAY have thrown the guy, the Bartender threw his Amp.

But I haven't seen anything really strange.
allanlummox
Contributor
Contributor

Postby NEONMOONY » Sat Oct 21, 2006 10:38 pm

We were over by the bar in this place to get a drink. There was a woman eating at the bar, she was eating a large salad. This drunk guy, who had been milling around the bar area talking to people, slipped up next to her, grabbed the salad and ran out the door with it. Bartender ran out the door but the guy was gone. We laughed our asses off. Never saw anybody steal a salad before. Everybody said if they were going to steal some food, they would have waited for a steak to come out.
Last edited by NEONMOONY on Sun Oct 22, 2006 3:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
NEONMOONY
Regular

Postby ricochet » Sat Oct 21, 2006 11:50 pm

Maybe he was a vegan?
ricochet
Regular

Postby bosco » Sun Oct 22, 2006 4:02 am

A few years back, we had a drunken 70+ year old hag do a striptease on the dancefloor..... mercifully, with her back to us!

She had been dancing alone for a while so we all got a good look at her. Graced with stringy gray hair and no teeth, she was barefooted and wearing cutoffs and a teal tube top. Gyrating on the dancefloor, she suddenly peeled the top up around her neck to the stunned room who were in various stages of laughing, hooting, whistling, choking and puking. We were all laughing so hard we could barely play.

She didn't get very far before being bounced by the management.
bosco
Contributor
Contributor

Postby mickeypainless » Sun Oct 22, 2006 6:18 am

>>>I saw a girl pull a knife on her boyfriend at the bar

Back in my drinking and rodeo days I dated a few gals that considered that foreplay!
mickeypainless
Contributor
Contributor

Postby oleman » Thu Oct 26, 2006 5:39 am

I once saw a lawyer shake hands with a pot bellied pig!
oleman
Regular

Postby jeffl » Thu Oct 26, 2006 12:13 pm

One of the funniest things I've seen was at this big roadhouse over on the Mississippi River; during a break a big longhaired biker,who looked to be about 6'3" and 320# was chasin' this little guy in the parkin' lot, threatenin' to kill him,but there were so many cars in the lot, you could see immediately that the biker had no chance of catchin' him. I could tell by the look on the little guy's face that he took the threat very seriously though. (I wasn't playin' there.)
jeffl
Contributor
Contributor

Postby ricochet » Sat Oct 28, 2006 1:49 am

oleman wrote:I once saw a lawyer shake hands with a pot bellied pig!

Yeah, I've shaken hands with a lawyer, too.
ricochet
Regular

Postby maxx england » Sat Oct 28, 2006 12:07 pm

ricochet wrote:
oleman wrote:I once saw a lawyer shake hands with a pot bellied pig!

Yeah, I've shaken hands with a lawyer, too.

You aren't just a church goer, you really ARE a Christian.
maxx england
Contributor
Contributor

Postby ricochet » Sat Oct 28, 2006 3:37 pm

:lol:
ricochet
Regular

Postby t bone bruce » Sun Oct 29, 2006 7:24 pm

I was sitting in with a band one time singing and playing harp, when right in the middle of the song one of the guitarists spotted his sister in the audience and threw his guitar at her then stormed off....I just carried on with the song which was "Let's Work Together" with the highly appropriate line "when things go wrong , as they sometimes will...."
t bone bruce
Regular

Postby gatorblue » Fri Dec 01, 2006 12:04 am

About 37 years ago, a buddy from East Texas was watching Freddie King play in a bar in Houston. Freddie takes a break and walks by the table and my friend pulls a pint of Jack Daniels out of his pocket and said, "Freddie, you want a pull on this."

King smiled, grabbed it and drank a huge amount (almost half). He put the top on and handed it back to my friend who says, "my name's Phillip Morris and you owe me some whiskey." Freddie smiles and said, "Phillip, I owe you and I won't forget."

Four years later Phillip is in Dallas at a really big club and Freddie is playing. When he takes a break, Phillip goes backstage and tells the bodyguard that he has a poster for Freddie to sign. The bodyguard stops him, but Freddie is sitting down with the band about 30 feet away and turns and says, "Hey, man, you let ole Phillip Morris through. I owe that guy some whiskey." He laughed with Phillip, signed his poster, but never gave him any whiskey.

Now at this time, Freddie was playing about 240 nights a year then, so it had probably been 1,000 gigs since the first meeting, but Freddie had a memory like an elephant.
gatorblue
Regular

Postby allanlummox » Fri Dec 01, 2006 12:39 am

Now, that reminds me of a non-musical experience. There was a bar near the Schulkyll in Philly; I've only been in there twice. The first time, I had a nice little chat with the bartender, a shot of Jamisons and a couple of Ortliebs.

4 years later, I'm in the same neighborhood, walk into the same bar.

"Hey Danny, haven't seen YOU in here in a while".

Shot of Jamisons and an Ortliebs land in front of me before I could place an order.

That, my friends, is a world - class bartender.
allanlummox
Contributor
Contributor

Next

Return to About Gigs