Got paid but didn't play

Problems, how to get them, favorite songs to play, groupies, funky bar owners, etc. NO names of clubs, please.

Got paid but didn't play

Postby grady » Tue Sep 05, 2006 8:55 am

I showed up for a Festival gig on Saturday 45 minutes before I needed to be on stage at 6pm.
The guy running the Festival had re-scheduled me for 5pm without telling me.
To make a long story short,,,, I got the full amount of money guaranteed by the contract that we agreed to and didn't have to play.
I hung around for about 45 minutes and then left.

The Family and I went out for a nice Dinner instead.

I could use a few more gigs like that...... :D
grady
Regular

Postby allanlummox » Tue Sep 05, 2006 9:10 am

Beats the hell out of the other way around.
allanlummox
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Got paid but didn't play

Postby srvlives » Tue Sep 05, 2006 10:44 am

grady wrote:I could use a few more gigs like that...... :D

"See honey, he can make money by not playing!" :lol:
srvlives
Regular

Postby bosco » Tue Sep 05, 2006 12:58 pm

45 minutes before I needed to be on stage

About 5 years ago, my former band showed up at a locally sanctioned IBC contest at 2:10 for a scheduled 2:45 performance. We were met at the door by our keyboard player who frantically said "Get in here fast, we were supposed to go on at 2:00!" When we won the semi-final round two days before, all 6 of us heard the guy say 2:45.

We walked into a room with a dead silent panel of judges staring at us and about 200 silent onlookers. You coulda heard a pin drop. They graciously "allowed" us 30 minutes of stage time instead of 45 because "we" were late and they needed to stay on schedule.

Afterwards, the guy insisted that he told us our playing slot was from "TWO o'clock until 2:45." Six of us knew better. Talk about being pissed. And we weren't getting paid to suffer that kind of embarrassment either. Buttwipes.

Any festival or contest that doesn't have a PUBLISHED schedule that they stick to is run by idiots. Period.

Glad you got paid Grady, good on ya.

Bosco
bosco
Contributor
Contributor

Postby oleman » Tue Sep 05, 2006 5:48 pm

This must be a common occurrence; as our trio had a festival scheduled for the end of Sept/oct and we were bumped [politics] from the Saturday sets and just get to play at a different venue on Sunday. Six hundred for not playing Sat.

My lesson here wasALWAYS SIGN the contract and get the promoter to sign it also!! Handshakes are cool but really don't mean much when dealing with flakes and airheads. Usually, I'm the flaky airhead.
oleman
Regular

Postby houndog » Sat Oct 14, 2006 5:56 pm

Arf,
on Beeb radio 2 they were comparing "worst gigs" in the afternoon comedy show.

One feller said that he knew a guy who drove from London to Leeds to play a comedy competition , boy arrived at the gig..met the promoter who said that no-one ( audience or comedians ) had turned up..so he should take the £50 prize.

The comedian insists on doing his show in the empty venue...20 mins in the promoter stands up and says "kreeeist ! You are not getting the money".

arf,
Lovat
houndog
Regular

Postby jaybee » Sun Oct 15, 2006 6:17 am

once arrived at a festival where they rescheduled us just in in time to mut my amp on stage, plug in and GO.. no soundcheck - no warm up, nothing

another time we set up in a bar and did some sound checking, got paid and thrown out because we didn't "know 1 song completely, you just play parts of songs" - we tried to explain this was just a soundcheck and we WOULD play the songs entirely during the show, but the owner didn't want to listen...
jaybee
Regular

Postby NEONMOONY » Sun Oct 15, 2006 7:45 am

Now that's bazaar!
NEONMOONY
Regular

Return to About Gigs