Looking for songs that aren't 12-bar blues

Problems, how to get them, favorite songs to play, groupies, funky bar owners, etc. NO names of clubs, please.

Looking for songs that aren't 12-bar blues

Postby jax » Tue Sep 19, 2006 4:30 pm

I've been building a repertoire of standard 12-bar blues songs. Now I'd like to add some songs that aren't in the 12-bar blues form to add some variety. I'm biased toward the standards of the 1930's, '40's, and '50's, but I'd prefer songs that aren't too complex melodically or harmonically. I' also lean toward ballads, but good uptempo songs would work too. Think of something that Wynonie Harris or Lowell Fulsom would sing.

Some examples would be:

- Summertime
- Georgia
- Don't Get Around Much Anymore

Does anyone have any more ideas?

Again, please no 12-bar or 8-bar or 16-bar or 24-bar blues.
jax
Regular

Postby Bournio » Tue Sep 19, 2006 5:35 pm

I don't know if you can get hold of it, but My Sunday Feeling, by Jethro Tull I don't think is a standard blues form, and when Tull were incredibly bluesy!
Bournio
Regular

Postby oleman » Tue Sep 19, 2006 8:43 pm

To round out our sets, we learned all the songs off of Willy Nelsons' "Stardust" CD. Not even close to blues but it sure seems to impress a lot of the people we play for, plus It's just generally good music to know imo.
oleman
Regular

Postby dcblues » Tue Sep 19, 2006 9:44 pm

Trouble In Mind, Key to the Highway, Untrue Blues and the coutless other 8 bar blues that are out there. Get yourself some Blind Boy Fuller. He recorded some good ones.
dcblues
Contributor
Contributor

Postby stumblin » Tue Sep 19, 2006 10:09 pm

You could try some of the songs that just revolve around one chord.
e.g. Smokestack Lightning, Catfish Blues etc.
Well, they only have one chord the way I play them. There are all sorts of variations on those themes, and they can all be done by just playing around one chord position.
stumblin
Regular

Postby maxx england » Thu Sep 21, 2006 1:25 pm

It Hurts Me Too is an 8 bar & Key To The Highway. Browniee Mcghee did Red River Valley I think, and that wasn't a 12. Lot of Muddy stuff actually went to 14, 15, 16 bar just to let him get the words in.

And yes, Hooker style tonic grooves are an absolute delight, one chord/key, just keep on driving through the night.
maxx england
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Bournio » Thu Sep 21, 2006 3:13 pm

maxx england wrote:And yes, Hooker style tonic grooves are an absolute delight, one chord/key, just keep on driving through the night.

Especially round campfires, where you can sing all the songs you wish, and some you just invent!! Just change the rhythm to change the song, but keep going! and going, when someone says do you know anything else, change rhythm n sing those words!:D
Bournio
Regular

Postby gatorblue » Tue Dec 12, 2006 7:03 pm

Try some Freddie King. Someday After a While is a great crowd pleaser that we often do--- very much blues with a strong gospel inflection (Clapton did a good job on From the Cradle).

Keb Mo has some nice songs that aren't straight 12-bar-- Angelina, Loula Loo, Life is Beautiful, etc.

Some old Howlin' Wolf strays from the 12 bar, as does a lot of Leadbelly's stuff.
gatorblue
Regular

Return to About Gigs