Huh?? Wha????

A discussion of techniques, and equipment for guitar. Fretted, bottleneck or slide, acoustic or electric, this is the place.

Huh?? Wha????

Postby Jiminator » Tue Sep 12, 2006 5:55 pm

I'm not sure if this is even the right forum or not for this question, but here goes anyway....I was reading an acoustic guitar magazine yesterday and they mentioned "flatpicking". God forgive me, I'm not familiar with the term, "flatpicking". Hopefully it's an obscure terms for something really rare so I won't feel like an idiot, but somehow, I don't think I'm going to be that lucky. So, what is flatpicking and can someone here give me a song that I can look up and listen to that features it? Unless, of course, EVERY song features it, in which case you can kick me off here for being an idiot.
Please be gentle. I bruise easily. :wink:
Thanks in advance, guitar gurus!
Jim
Jiminator
Regular

Postby bluesmcgoo » Tue Sep 12, 2006 6:30 pm

Hey Jim

flatpicking just means that you're using a "flat pick" like this one...

...instead of fingerpicks or bare fingers.

The vast majority of guitar music you've ever heard was produced with a flat pick.
bluesmcgoo
Contributor
Contributor

Postby ricochet » Tue Sep 12, 2006 6:32 pm

I just used that obscure term on here yesterday. :lol:

I mostly think of bluegrass guitar when flatpicking's mentioned.
ricochet
Regular

Postby mickeypainless » Tue Sep 12, 2006 6:32 pm

I use the term "flat picking" to discribe the use of a flat pick vs. finger picks although that may be wrong since I use a flat pick to do "alternate picking", "hybred picking" etc. etc.
mickeypainless
Contributor
Contributor

Postby louisianagrey » Tue Sep 12, 2006 6:33 pm

Flatpicking is playing a guitar with a flatpick - otherwise known as a plectrum. I know the term from bluegrass guitar playing. Listen to anything by Doc Watson, Tony Rice, Norman Blake etc. and that's flatpicking.
For example, listen to the "Lost Indian" sample on the Amazon page at http://www.amazon.com/58957-Bluegrass-C ... Tony-Rice/
dp/B0000E3330/sr=1-1/qid=1158085791/ref=pd_bbs_1/102-3451348-0170524?ie=UTF8&s=music
louisianagrey
Regular

Postby dogbite » Tue Sep 12, 2006 8:14 pm

yup. flatpicking is usually mentioned with bluegrass.
but, if you play guitar with a flat pick then you flatpick.

however, dont get caught strumming.
there is a special pick for that :wink:
dogbite
Regular

Postby houndog » Tue Sep 12, 2006 9:54 pm

Keef,
is the only guitar player able to sucessfully strum an acoustic guitar without it sounding like a Ovation Bowl back.

I love the Chicago 'burbs...I go there every few years to practice garbage drinking :D

adios,
Lovat
houndog
Regular

Postby the_big_crunch » Wed Sep 13, 2006 4:46 pm

Yeah, it's basically playing bluegrass (especially lead) on a guitar with a pick. It's frequently associated with playing high-speed fiddle tunes arranged for the guitar. Often it's played outside of the context of a traditional bluegrass lineup, usually with just two or three guitarists, each taking lead and rhythm turns. Flatpicking is actually what I started with a few years ago and is still my primary focus on the guitar. Down-up-down-up picking pattern, cleanliness of notes, sharp attack, accuracy at high-speeds, multi-string cross-picking patterns, and strong volume without a loss of good tone are all hallmarks of a good flatpicker...they are also all things that I am a long way from claiming to possess as a picker (at least right now) :D .

Some Important names:
Doc Watson
Dan Crary
Clarence White
Norman Blake
Tony Rice
David Grier
Bryan Sutton
Kenny Smith
the_big_crunch
Regular

Postby dogbite » Wed Sep 13, 2006 5:19 pm

the_big_crunch wrote:Yeah, it's basically playing bluegrass (especially lead) on a guitar with a pick. It's frequently associated with playing high-speed fiddle tunes arranged for the guitar. Often it's played outside of the context of a traditional bluegrass lineup, usually with just two or three guitarists, each taking lead and rhythm turns. Flatpicking is actually what I started with a few years ago and is still my primary focus on the guitar. Down-up-down-up picking pattern, cleanliness of notes, sharp attack, accuracy at high-speeds, multi-string cross-picking patterns, and strong volume without a loss of good tone are all hallmarks of a good flatpicker...they are also all things that I am a long way from claiming to possess as a picker (at least right now) :D .

Some Important names:
Doc Watson
Dan Crary
Clarence White
Norman Blake
Tony Rice
David Grier
Bryan Sutton
Kenny Smith

and:
Vince Gill, Albert Lee, and Ricky Scaggs.
dogbite
Regular

Postby Jiminator » Wed Sep 13, 2006 8:52 pm

Thank you all for your responses! Given all your answers, I guess I would be a "flatpick" style player. I saw the term in a magazine that was sort of a beginners mag, with tabs and easy tunes to play, so I was a bit surprised that they didn't explain or define the term "flatpicking" better.
Peace!
Jim
Jiminator
Regular

Postby Jiminator » Wed Sep 13, 2006 8:59 pm

houndog wrote:Keef,
is the only guitar player able to sucessfully strum an acoustic guitar without it sounding like a Ovation Bowl back.

I love the Chicago 'burbs...I go there every few years to practice garbage drinking :D

adios,
Lovat

Aw geez, here we go...I just gotta ask......what is garbage drinking? I want in, whatever it is. I mean, provided there's no actual drinking of garbage involved.

Also, I was seriously considering an Ovation for my next guitar. You don't like them, if I understand your post correctly. How come? I'm certainly no slide or bottleneck player, just a strummer (and occasional flatpicker. Hah! I HAD to use that word now that I know what it means!) Digging Keef too.
Regards,
Jim
Jiminator
Regular

Flat Picking - Technique

Postby Mean Mojo » Mon Sep 18, 2006 1:49 am

Keith Wyatt, in his very good blues guitar instruction videos shows us a very good flat picking technique that I get a lot of milage out of. If you have a good right hand, hold the flat pick between the thumb and pointing fingre, and then try to also use the other fingers as you would if finger picking.

Not everybody can do it, but for me anyway, it's easy. I have a good right hand and a real stoopid left hand...!
Mean Mojo
Regular

Postby Bournio » Mon Sep 18, 2006 3:20 pm

Jiminator wrote:
Aw geez, here we go...I just gotta ask......what is garbage drinking? I want in, whatever it is. I mean, provided there's no actual drinking of garbage involved.

I'm assuming it's like binge drinking, and not being overly bothered what crap your drinking, just drinking it fast to get horrendously drunk!
Bournio
Regular

Postby RonVermillion » Fri Sep 22, 2006 10:33 pm

Get the Eric Clapton Guitar Festival and listen to the guitars on I Am a Man of Constant Sorrow. Now that's flatpickin'.

Ron
RonVermillion
Contributor
Contributor

Return to Guitar