Bass players tell me...

A forum devoted to the discussion of playing bass with the blues.

Bass players tell me...

Postby bigdaddy » Tue Aug 29, 2006 6:23 pm

At my shows I have bass players come and tell me I'm great. This surprises me, really. I stick with the basic walking bass lines for the most part. I play simple stuff. I listen to rock songs and I think "man, them bass lines are more simply than blues". I have non-musicians tell me they dig my bass but when other musicians tell me I get puzzled. Perhaps it's my command of them 5 notes, perhaps that I throw my long hair around and strut about the stage and dance floor. The compliments are appreciated but I watch the travelin' blues bass players come thru town and they impress me. Strange this whole music thing.
bigdaddy
Regular

Postby oleman » Wed Aug 30, 2006 9:38 pm

Yes, Bigdaddy, isn't it strange how blatant showmanship somehow can be translated as musicianship. I too "showoff" with my doghouse by twirling it around, holding it like a guitar, standing on it and just generally cutting up and having a good time with the music and the crowd.
I also get complements on my playing, but like you, I walk a little or just thump along on the root with a little slap thrown in.
I wish I had of known how much fun it is playing the bass; I might not have spent so much time on the 6stg. However playing reso/slide/harp is almost as much fun. I echo your sentiment "Strange this whole music thing!!!"
oleman
Regular

Postby jeffl » Wed Aug 30, 2006 9:49 pm

Hey,it's great to get the feedback...don't fight it,gang. You're your own worst critic anyway,and it's nice to know that people like your stuff. When you keep workin' at somethin' that's important to ya', you're gonna be one of the last people to notice how far you've come. The whole thing saves you from havin' internal ego problems too. If you knew how good you were,and were aware of it all the time, you'd probably be more self-conscious. This way, you can jus' let 'er fly. It's wonderful.
jeffl
Contributor
Contributor

Postby bigdaddy » Wed Aug 30, 2006 11:32 pm

I have seen some doghouse players twirl and even stand on the thing while playing. Stray Cats, early Elvis. I loved it man. I thought those dudes were awesome. I could stand there and play every note, and I have tried, but the music gets me to movin.' My back gets to tightening up so moving help to ease it. I had a club owner tell me she is sick and tired of bands that just stand there, no humor or personality at all. I agree. My favorite performers joke and talk about their lives. I leave the club feeling like I know them. I try to do the same. Sure, we play in the same town we live in but it works. We also play me off as the low down and dirty that can't keep a woman around. The singer makes jokes and it's all fun. I love to talk about the gear other bassist are using. It's cool when they talk back. Some don't but 99% of them love to talk about their gear. I gues it's about being personable.
bigdaddy
Regular

Postby ricochet » Thu Aug 31, 2006 12:02 am

The best stuff is often really simple.
ricochet
Regular

Postby bigdaddy » Fri Sep 01, 2006 6:01 pm

I agree on that simply thing. And, yes, we are our own worst critics. I heard somewhere along the line that Barbara Striesand hated all of her recordings, didn't like the way she sounded. That is one talented singer and yet she was hard on herself. My guitar player gets all the screams and whistles when he burns up that neck but it me and Jim that keep there feet moving. After the song is over and Mark has torn up the fretboard I tell the crowd that mine is still longer and goes deeper.
bigdaddy
Regular

Return to Bass - Meet Me At The Bottom