Support slot...

Problems, how to get them, favorite songs to play, groupies, funky bar owners, etc. NO names of clubs, please.

Support slot...

Postby stumblin » Fri Aug 18, 2006 9:42 am

We opened for Zach Parrish last night. Him & Brad (harp) played a fantastic set. Zach has an amazingly light touch on the strings despite wearing steel fingerpicks. The lads played a wonderful version of "Big Road Blues", they knocked me out with that one.
Anyhoo, check out Zach's site, buy his CD etc...
No, I'm not on any commission.
stumblin
Regular

Postby allanlummox » Fri Aug 18, 2006 10:07 am

Coolness.
allanlummox
Contributor
Contributor

Postby lightninboy » Sat Aug 19, 2006 7:34 am

Thats a good gig.
You deserve it to, I like the feel of your music.
How did it go?
lightninboy
Contributor
Contributor

Postby stumblin » Sat Aug 19, 2006 11:08 am

Our short set went across well I think.
We had trouble with the monitors, couldn't hear a dag-blamed thing, so a couple of the numbers went at a frenzied speed that I wasn't 100% comfortable with, but we enjoyed it all the more for fitting so much energy into such a short period.
The venue is one of our favourite old haunts.
Recently, after trying to book another gig there, we found out that a local promoter had booked the place solid for about 6 months. We felt that the only way to get to play there again was to see if we could get on the guy's books.
However, he is one of the rudest and most wilfully ignorant wankers I've ever encountered. He treated us like rank outsiders. Said he could only give us 20 minutes "in case you're crap". Didn't even hear us play. Refused to accept that we'd been playing that particular venue for years already, insisting that this was our first taste of the big time etc. Tosser.
We're better off without friends like that I think.
stumblin
Regular

Postby ricochet » Sat Aug 19, 2006 4:21 pm

Terrif! (The gig, that is.) Too bad about the jerk promoter.
ricochet
Regular

Postby lightninboy » Sat Aug 19, 2006 4:24 pm

I hate it when you can't hear yourself properly.
You have to guess whats going on!
I also know what its like to start a song off too fast.
Last week, I started "Early this morning" by Blind Blake so fast, that my fingers tied themselves into a clovehitch when it came to the frilly bits. I'm nodding to Billy like, "slow down dude", and he's banging away on the washboard, in a world of his own, looking everywhere but at me.

I think you guys are great.
When I listen to your music, it makes me happy.
Not many blues players can do that.
It's an emotion not easy to portray.

Maybe you need more exposure, like a CD, and some air play. Then that same guy will come sucking after you, begging you to play.
lightninboy
Contributor
Contributor

Postby stumblin » Sun Aug 20, 2006 12:45 pm

Thanks for the kind words LB, that's cheered me up!
Yeah, we need to work on getting a CD together, you're absolutely right about that. There's only one blues radio show that I know of in this country, and that's the BBC Radio 2 Paul Jones show. I suppose he's positively snowed under with demo CDs, but you never know...
stumblin
Regular

Postby dcblues » Tue Aug 29, 2006 3:11 am

I have a really good festival gig this weekend - the Baltimore Blues Society's Alonzo Memorial Picnic. It's a show they do on Memorial Day Sunday. I wasn't sure when we were going to be on. Usually the act that won the BBS's contest the previous year is the opening act. This year there are two acoustic acts, so we're going on later. We're going on second to last, in a sense opening for Mark Hummel. This is going to be fun, but a little bit intimidating!
dcblues
Contributor
Contributor

Postby bigdaddy » Tue Aug 29, 2006 6:13 pm

Stumlin, where was this gig with Zach and Brad Wheeler at? Brad is from my home town and sat in with us once. He's a shady dude and I don't trust him at all. I believe he ripped us off on a gig when he use to manage a blues night in my town. Management got rid of him finally. I heard he and Zach went to Europe on a tour. Brad came blow that harp tho. Not question about that. I've never heard Zach play but I've heard alot of good things about him.
bigdaddy
Regular

Postby stumblin » Wed Aug 30, 2006 8:37 am

Are you sure we're talking about the same Brad Wheeler? I didn't detect any shadiness. This might not be the best place to go into specifics.
The gig was in Sheffield UK.
stumblin
Regular

Postby bigdaddy » Wed Sep 06, 2006 9:39 pm

Yeah, it's him. Zach Parrish played in a band called Parchment Farm here in the Utah area before he went down south to college. Well he graduated then came back and him and Brad hooked up. Brad was blowin' with a dude here in town after that club fired him. He's tall and slender, wears a hat most of the time but he does blow a mean harp. I heard he and Zack went to Europe. I hope the best for them. Brad was hiring bands for a few places here in Utah and now with him gone I'll approach these clubs for gigs. I hated working with Brad after the rip off and simply refused to. So it's good news all around that he's out of here, now if he'll just stay gone.
bigdaddy
Regular

Postby bigdaddy » Wed Sep 06, 2006 9:41 pm

Also, I've heard other stories from people how Brad burned them too. You live and you learn.
bigdaddy
Regular

Return to About Gigs