GREAT New Gig!

Problems, how to get them, favorite songs to play, groupies, funky bar owners, etc. NO names of clubs, please.

Postby bosco » Mon Jul 10, 2006 1:59 pm

Another fantastic gig this past Saturday!

The band last week didn't draw nearly as well as we do ( I went down there for a while to check it out. Only a few boats and the deck was about half full. At one point they played five slow blues songs in a row and I overheard one patron remark, "Man, I'm about to fall asleep."

This week there were a good two dozen boats behind the stage again and the place was packed. The owners were ecstatic and asked us to play for an extra half hour because they had such a good crowd on the deck and at the Marina. We were happy to oblidge and they bought us two more rounds of drinks for helping them out.

I can live with that kind of working relationship. :lol:
bosco
Contributor
Contributor

Postby bluejay » Tue Jul 25, 2006 7:58 pm

Way to go Bosco!

Are you playing there Saturday Aug. 5. I'll be in the area for my mom's memorial service that morning. I'll probably be ready to party a bit and shake off the blues by 6 p.m.
bluejay
Regular

Postby bosco » Wed Jul 26, 2006 2:58 am

Aww Man! Unfortunately, we're off that weekend and I'll be playing in a golf tournament that day.

We play at the Waterfront again on Aug 12 & Aug 26.

Too bad you couldn't have been here sooner...we just came off a stretch of 5 gigs in 8 days, our busiest week of the whole year. See the "Big Gig Of My Own" thread in this forum for details and pics.

Great to see you post again Bluejay!

Bosco
bosco
Contributor
Contributor

Postby bosco » Tue Feb 13, 2007 4:00 am

Great news, the Waterfront just offered us 11 Saturday dates this summer to play at the lake. It's been a slow winter so we're really looking forward to it. We've got a couple class reunions and special events booked on the off weeks so it's going to be a great summer!

Apr 28
May 12, 26
June 9, 23
July 7, 21
Aug 11, 25
Sept 1, 15

If any of you BigRoaders can make it, I'll supply you with more info and directions as needed. Cheers.

Bosco
bosco
Contributor
Contributor

Postby srvlives » Tue Feb 13, 2007 4:02 am

You take bookings?

Need a band 30th November 2010 for a 40th.

Will pay accomodation, you pay freight! ;)
srvlives
Regular

Postby bluejay » Sun Feb 18, 2007 6:54 pm

Great news, Bosco!

I'll actually be in Ann Arbor for my daughter's graduation on 4/28, and I may even be in East Lansing for a conference on 5/12 -- but slipping away to B.C. could be tough in either case -- so close, yet so far. :(

But you never know.
bluejay
Regular

Postby bosco » Sun Feb 18, 2007 7:59 pm

Hey bro-

It's looking like 5-12 would be your best bet anyway... Our bass player has a conflict on 4-28 and I'll be in Missouri turkey hunting, so unless the other 3 want to flesh out the band with fill ins we'll have to give that date away.

Bosco

PS- BlueJay, have you checked out our website yet?
bosco
Contributor
Contributor

Postby bluejay » Sun Feb 18, 2007 8:03 pm

Well, if the conference ends in the afternoon, it might be possible on 5/12. I'll keep an eye on it for sure. I'd have to route my return via Kazoo.

All the way to Mizzou for turkeys? What, the ones in your backyard not enough? :wink: :wink: Good luck with the gobblers. We are sure getting more and more up our way.

Good looking website -- like the set lists to give folks an idea of what you've got in store, along with the three tunes.
bluejay
Regular

Postby ricochet » Sun Feb 18, 2007 8:22 pm

We've got plenty of 'em here. The other afternoon I was napping on the couch and saw something moving down the hill out back. It was a big old gobbler, right out in the sunshine in the pasture. Doubtless gobbling corn kernels out of the cow poop, a favorite pastime of the geese and the crows. Several times as I've been driving out of the neighborhood in the morning I've had to pause and wait for a flock of turkeys to clear out of the road.
ricochet
Regular

Postby bluejay » Sun Feb 18, 2007 10:23 pm

Rico, I figured it was something like that when I passed a farmyard that has a cattle pen adjoining the freeway a couple weeks ago and it was full of wild turkeys pecking at the muck and mire. Had to be more than a dozen turkeys going at it, and it was a nasty sub-zero day -- nothing else out in the corral.

Well, Bosco, see what you started by mentioning turkeys amidst your band news. :P
bluejay
Regular

Postby bosco » Sun Feb 18, 2007 11:13 pm

Hey, I'll talk turkey with you boys anytime, anywhere!

In addition to the undigested grain, the turkeys also look for, and find, insects in the fermenting pasture pies. Like goats, turkeys will eat damn near anything and it's a time honored tradition among hunters to inspect the crop when dressing out a harvested bird to see just exactly what they've been feeding on.

Over the years I've found corn, acorns, clover, dandelion blooms, berries, grasshoppers, june bugs, various beetles, and small frogs and lizards they've consumed. Looking for cow patties that have been scratched open is also a good way to pattern birds when hunting and identify recent feeding patterns.

Bosco
bosco
Contributor
Contributor

Postby bluejay » Wed Apr 11, 2007 3:39 pm

Bosco, I made a mention over on 601's gig thread, but finally found yours as I scanned down. Still working on arranging attendance at that East Lansing conference in May. If I get there, it ends about noon on 5/12, so hitting your Waterfront gig that evening could work out. I'll let you know how it goes. Maybe I could drag my brother and sister-in-law along for dinner and fun!
bluejay
Regular

Previous

Return to About Gigs