Anybody interested in a little beginners type project

A discussion of techniques, and equipment for guitar. Fretted, bottleneck or slide, acoustic or electric, this is the place.

Anybody interested in a little beginners type project

Postby jamesfarrell » Sat Jul 15, 2006 2:32 pm

I don't know if I'm completely whacked, but I was thinking. I spend a lot of time practicing. However I don't really want to sound like a Bob Brozman clone, so I've been working out some of my own stuff. I've limited myself to open G for now, as I want to see how much I can get out of that one tuning.

I've come up with a bunch of cool little rythm thingys incorporating a little slide in with it. Ok, here's the deal. This seems like a cool idea, but maybe it's not, maybe nobody is interested.

We would start out with like 5 tunes or little intros to a tune, each person posts up a little sound byte of their clip and then others add to that particular clip and so on and we'll see what we can come up with. I figure this might be an interesting thing to do as not to steal each others music, but take a little idea and add something to it. I find myself playing the same litte dittys over and over and don't know how to add to them, and perhaps others have the same problem as beginners, so we could add like 5 clips to start off with and then just keep building to see what we can come up with.

I have tons of webspace on my wifes page so I can host all this stuff if need be. I first however need to know if there is anybody interested in this, or just tell me that it's a ridiculous idea and I'll shut up.

I'll be posting in video format so you can see what I'm doing and then try to add to it and record a little more of it. The only other means of recording is a pc mic, which is totally butcher.

Or we could just post a whole bunch of clips for everyone to work on and see how things progress in a month. I dunno, maybe I'm whacked, but I think it would be a fun thing for beginners to do. I mean I'm always listening to the experts, but I never hear any of the beginners. Probably caus most of us are self conscious about are playing. I'm not. I suck. I posted a horrific clip of my playing a month or so ago. I admit it sucks, so when someone says it's not that bad, I take it as a compliment.

Whadaya think of this idea? Ridiculous or no?
jamesfarrell
Regular

Yeah.....

Postby slickcat » Sat Jul 15, 2006 6:38 pm

Yeah....sounds good to me. I tend to get in a rut and keep playing the same licks....maybe hearing some others will help break me out!!
slickcat
Contributor
Contributor

Postby scrappercondor » Sat Jul 15, 2006 10:09 pm

Sounds like a good idea. How about starting out with a simple 12 bar blues in G and everyone takes 12 bars. It could be like a virtual jam session.
scrappercondor
Regular

I'll try.

Postby slickcat » Sun Jul 16, 2006 12:47 am

I'll try ... sounds like fun . A on-line wank-fest :lol:
I might actually learn something.
slickcat
Contributor
Contributor

Postby jamesfarrell » Sun Jul 16, 2006 3:56 pm

Cool, I'm not sure what 12 bar blues is, but it's probably the same thing as what I play over and over. I'll try to record something later on if my hangover wears off :cry:
jamesfarrell
Regular

Postby ricochet » Sun Jul 16, 2006 4:02 pm

jamesfarrell wrote:Cool, I'm not sure what 12 bar blues is...

Oh, my! :shock:

http://www.torvund.net/guitar/progressi ... spro-1.asp

8)
ricochet
Regular

Postby zhyla » Sun Jul 16, 2006 6:24 pm

What a dumb idea!

Actually, no, this sounds kind of fun. I'm kind of in a rut myself.

It may be wise to specify a metronome speed to make it easier to compare different people's clips.
zhyla
Site Admin

Postby jamesfarrell » Sun Jul 16, 2006 10:51 pm

ricochet wrote:
jamesfarrell wrote:Cool, I'm not sure what 12 bar blues is...

Oh, my! :shock:

http://www.torvund.net/guitar/progressi ... spro-1.asp

8)

Yeah I know, I'm an idiot :lol:

I'll bet I've heard and played 12 bar blues 5000000 times, but I don't know how to describe it. I looked at that page and it made me ill. I'm absolutely no good at anything but reading tab. Of course the 15 beers I had at the wedding last night didn't help. I'll look at it tommorow when I'm normal again.

I'll try to post up a little clip tomorrow evening at the latest. It's a simple little thing I've been working on in open G. It's a cool little riff that could be made into a decent tune. I'll play it nice and slow and video it so everone can see how I'm doing it. It's simpler than simple and I still can't play the damn thing properly. It's sort of a spin off of Bob B's slow blues on DVD1 or walking blues as some might call it. We could take that little thing I'll post up as a beginning and see what folks can add to it and others feel free to add to it and repost. If anyone needs me to host the vids or clips, you can email them to me at captainfarrell@verizon.net

For simplicity purposes, it might be wise to keep track of names of tunes so we know what we're dealing with. We can use usernames on here, if you like so the first song from me I'll call Jims blues.

The reason I thought this would be cool is that I got tons of little things I always play but can't seem to work into whole songs, or perhaps some of them suck, or I think they suck, but others might think they're cool and the same thing with other tunes.

James
jamesfarrell
Regular

or...

Postby slickcat » Mon Jul 17, 2006 12:28 am

You could also post a backing track without slide.........
Add your slide part;
Others will add their slide part;
We then can see how everyone has a different tone, attack, technique on the same rythmn. 8)
slickcat
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Anybody interested in a little beginners type project

Postby bluzeluvr » Mon Jul 17, 2006 12:55 am

jamesfarrell wrote:....I don't really want to sound like a Bob Brozman clone, so I've been working out some of my own stuff...

I'd be happy to sound like a Brozman clone, if I could play that well. ;)
bluzeluvr
Regular

Postby jamesfarrell » Tue Jul 18, 2006 1:51 am

Well, I wasn't in the playin mood tonight, still burnt from the wknd and work today, but here it is in all it's suckieness :lol:

After 40 takes, this is the crappy version I've decided to post. Just when I think I'm gettin good, I watch this and now I'm depressed :lol:

Well, I'm better than I was a month ago. I shot it at two separate angles so you could see what I'm doing with the rythm hand. I couldn't get the angle real well on the pickin hand, but it's simple enough for folks to get I think. If it sucks too much, we could start off with someone elses little riff, but I thought this one was alright, have a listen.

Again, anybody needs hosting, send me a pm.

http://www.thenaughtynurse.net/james-blues.wmv
jamesfarrell
Regular

Postby nizer » Tue Jul 18, 2006 2:22 am

Yeah well I've made WAY more mistakes than you.

Online collaboration is great but I don't have computer recording capabilities right now. If I do need hosting though, I sure love your URL.
nizer
Regular

Postby slickcat » Tue Jul 18, 2006 2:48 am

Nice James !
I like that lick of yours. Sounds simple....but its tricky and takes some good damping .

What did you use to record the video? a web cam? what kind.
slickcat
Contributor
Contributor

Postby jamesfarrell » Tue Jul 18, 2006 11:25 am

Yeah the lick is simple but tricky. I'm still experimenting with whether to keep the whole slide across the 2nd fret, or half of it, just touching the 3rd or G string. So basically I still can't play the damn thing :x

I used a DV cam, I need a real setup, the mic on the DV cam is kind of weak.
jamesfarrell
Regular

Postby jamesfarrell » Tue Jul 18, 2006 12:07 pm

nizer wrote:

Yeah well I've made WAY more mistakes than you.

Online collaboration is great but I don't have computer recording capabilities right now. If I do need hosting though, I sure love your URL.

Yeah, it's actually my wifes site, she stores stuff on there. She is a nurse.

:lol:
jamesfarrell
Regular

Next

Return to Guitar